MAJOR improvement: TA Listens! Finally!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
From TA email this morning...
In response to feedback from the TripAdvisor community, we are aiming to combine several accommodation types - including Hotels, B&Bs & Inns and Specialty Lodgings - together into a single 'Places to Stay' view for each destination.

And this one... It sounds like they are going to give a little less weight to recent reviews and a little more weight to overall history. So one bad (or good) review won't make as much difference as it has in the past.

Please note that we are also making some initial changes to the Traveler Ranking as we work towards showing travelers a wider range of accommodation options. This update to the Traveler Ranking still takes into account quality, quantity and recency of reviews, but will also better measure the consistency of each business's performance over time.

Not sure it's the plus we wanted. Maybe if you're in a place with 10 overall properties. If there are 200, with large hotels in the mix, your mom and pop shop may find themselves buried.

OTOH, my place has been around longer than most of the hotels. My reviews have history. At least 15 years.

Yes, we'll have to see how they implement it, but it sounds like a move in the right direction. Ideally, B&B's and Specialty Lodging will now be mixed in with the hotels, based on rating. On the whole, I think B&B's generally outscore hotels.
And being in the mix in any way is better than it is now, where only hotels show up, and guests have to select "Specialty Lodging", if they can find it, to see non-hotels.

And this one... It sounds like they are going to give a little less weight to recent reviews and a little more weight to overall history. So one bad (or good) review won't make as much difference as it has in the past.

Please note that we are also making some initial changes to the Traveler Ranking as we work towards showing travelers a wider range of accommodation options. This update to the Traveler Ranking still takes into account quality, quantity and recency of reviews, but will also better measure the consistency of each business's performance over time..
Hopefully that helps the smaller property. Back when, we would rank at or near the top of the list based on reviews while more recently we are lost in the shuffle as large properties have so many more recent reviews. Be interesting to see how it moves forward.

Not sure it's the plus we wanted. Maybe if you're in a place with 10 overall properties. If there are 200, with large hotels in the mix, your mom and pop shop may find themselves buried..
We will get buried because we can not generate the number of review that that’s hotels and motels get. We have the highest overall star ranking but with only a couple hundred reviews we simply can’t compete. This will be interesting...looking forward to seeing the impact on our inquiries.

This is awesome! AND the reason why everyone should join TripConnect ASAP so your results won't be buried!

This is awesome! AND the reason why everyone should join TripConnect ASAP so your results won't be buried!.
Momma Smurf said:
This is awesome! AND the reason why everyone should join TripConnect ASAP so your results won't be buried!
Not a chance. TA has treated their B&B customers like garbage for way too long. I'm not paying over $1000 to have a TA business listing PLUS pay even more for TripConnect. Google's reviews carry more SEO weight online than TA anyway and Google is free.
I think TripAdvisor realizes that Google's reviews are putting them out of business. Google also has a "TripConnect"-type link via the OTAs. If you're listed on an OTA, you've already got a paid link. TripAdvisor is on its way out. Good riddance!

I am one of 3 B & Bs in a 2-county area - the only one in my County - but it will be interesting to see how I show up. There are hotels/motels up the ying-yang now.
I just hope it helps B & Bs in general.

"Specialty Lodging" may end up including every AirBnB in your area.
I'm encouraged by this news, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet...

I'm encouraged by this news, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet....
PhineasSwann said:
In order for Airs to be included, one would have to have the ability to review them on TA.

This is awesome! AND the reason why everyone should join TripConnect ASAP so your results won't be buried!.
Momma Smurf said:
Not a chance. TA has treated their B&B customers like garbage for way too long. I'm not paying over $1000 to have a TA business listing PLUS pay even more for TripConnect. Google's reviews carry more SEO weight online than TA anyway and Google is free.
I think TripAdvisor realizes that Google's reviews are putting them out of business. Google also has a "TripConnect"-type link via the OTAs. If you're listed on an OTA, you've already got a paid link. TripAdvisor is on its way out. Good riddance!
BTW, we had $28958 in reservations last year from TA. Trip Connect cost was $260. A whopping 111% ROI booked directly through us. Commission costs via an OTA would have been a minimum $4344 along with all the hassle 3rd party guests present. Seriously??
Folks need to keep an open mind re the constant flux in our industry. It's not black or white. Good or evil. It's all about using objective analysis to achieve success vs tying oneself down with preconceived notions and bias.

Momma Smurf said:
I totally disagree notAgrandma.
This is a major step by TA to NOT treat B&Bs like garbage and include them in all results. They need to be given credit for this.
You do not have to have a Business Listing to use TripConnect. Google does NOT have a TC-like link, unless you are willing to fork over 15%+ commissions to OTAs AND give up your identity and web presence preference to OTAs forever. THEY have become the scourge of B&Bs.
TA has upped their marketing dollars and TV exposure tremendously beginning last fall and are promoting themselves as aggregators of OTAs. Indeed, they are now a very simple way to compare ALL OTAs in one place. They are not on their way out and are strategically adapting.
#MakeItWorkForYouAdapt

Momma Smurf said:
notAgrandma said:
Not a chance. I'm not paying over $1000 to have a TA business listing PLUS pay even more for TripConnect.
Momma Smurf said:
BTW, we had $28958 in reservations last year from TA. Trip Connect cost was $260.
About the same as mine. I would never pay $1000 to have a TA business listing. TripConnect pay-per-click costs me about $20/month, and my own website shows up on my TA listing so people can book easily from TA.

I will hold my opinion to see how it works out for everyone. In my town I am listed with the 1 hotel already so I will not see a change.

What I would have pulled for is a more visible option tab to view by: hotel, B&B, Vacation homes, other specialty rentals.

And what about the mobile site? That is where B&B's are currently lost.

How does tripadvisor work? You pay them a fee and they list a link to your booking engine on your site? How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee? What is trip connect?
I can go read up on tripadvisor to find answers but I'm more interested in your personal experiences.

How much business do you get from trip advisor?

How does tripadvisor work? You pay them a fee and they list a link to your booking engine on your site? How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee? What is trip connect?
I can go read up on tripadvisor to find answers but I'm more interested in your personal experiences.

How much business do you get from trip advisor?.
MNVineyardBB said:
How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee?
I pay per click. Most months they bill me about $10. For that, I get an "Official Site" button on my TA listing. When it's clicked, it takes the guest to my own ResKey reservation page.
I wish the button said "Hotel Site" or something more clear, because most people probably don't know what "Official Site" means.

How much business do you get from trip advisor?.
MNVineyardBB said:
I pay per click. Most months they bill me about $10. For that, I get an "Official Site" button on my TA listing. When it's clicked, it takes the guest to my own ResKey reservation page.
I wish the button said "Hotel Site" or something more clear, because most people probably don't know what "Official Site" means.
Thank you! That helps. Would you say you get many bookings from them?
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:

Back