MAJOR improvement: TA Listens! Finally!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far it seems our ranking has changed favorable, the app on my phone still lists hotels, inns, and specialty as choices under "filter", also seems to place those with OTA listings at the top unless you also choose to sort by ranking..
Desktop is now automatically incorporating B&Bs into all combined results. However, since Best Value is now the default setting (which mainly focuses on price) OTAs will always appear towards the top, which is why Trip connect is necessary. If TA can't access your prices, then there is no way to rank you for Value, and zoom to the bottom you go. Better to pay a few cents per click than 15%+ to OTAs and lose your direct bookings.
Happy Dance. Number two now if searching mytown on TA. Thank you Momma and Arks!

So far it seems our ranking has changed favorable, the app on my phone still lists hotels, inns, and specialty as choices under "filter", also seems to place those with OTA listings at the top unless you also choose to sort by ranking..
Desktop is now automatically incorporating B&Bs into all combined results. However, since Best Value is now the default setting (which mainly focuses on price) OTAs will always appear towards the top, which is why Trip connect is necessary. If TA can't access your prices, then there is no way to rank you for Value, and zoom to the bottom you go. Better to pay a few cents per click than 15%+ to OTAs and lose your direct bookings.
Happy Dance. Number two now if searching mytown on TA. Thank you Momma and Arks!
You're welcome! My wish is that everyone would just give it a try and enjoy a Happy Dance!

How does tripadvisor work? You pay them a fee and they list a link to your booking engine on your site? How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee? What is trip connect?
I can go read up on tripadvisor to find answers but I'm more interested in your personal experiences.

How much business do you get from trip advisor?.
MNVineyardBB said:
How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee?
I pay per click. Most months they bill me about $10. For that, I get an "Official Site" button on my TA listing. When it's clicked, it takes the guest to my own ResKey reservation page.
I wish the button said "Hotel Site" or something more clear, because most people probably don't know what "Official Site" means.
Thank you! That helps. Would you say you get many bookings from them?
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
I pay per click. Most months they bill me about $10. For that, I get an "Official Site" button on my TA listing. When it's clicked, it takes the guest to my own ResKey reservation page.
I wish the button said "Hotel Site" or something more clear, because most people probably don't know what "Official Site" means.
MNVineyardBB said:
I'm paying about $1/click. I checked and last month I had 55 clicks, so will be paying a lot more than the $10 I mentioned above. But I'm not tracking how many clicks turn into booked rooms. I'm just glad they're clicking.
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
I'm paying about $1/click. I checked and last month I had 55 clicks, so will be paying a lot more than the $10 I mentioned above. But I'm not tracking how many clicks turn into booked rooms. I'm just glad they're clicking.
Arks, set up a separate reservation page in ResKey for TA, have it pull the same availability as your website reservation page. I have all reservations from the TA ppc appear in red on my reservation calendar so I can track.
Copperhead said:
Arks, set up a separate reservation page in ResKey for TA, have it pull the same availability as your website reservation page. I have all reservations from the TA ppc appear in red on my reservation calendar so I can track.
Yes, I've used a separate cloned Res Key page for TA from the get-go. I use the RK star codes to filter mine.
I also have individual RK pages linked to all my other referral sources to easily keep track. Aids in monitoring your RK Availability Searches also.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, I've used a separate cloned Res Key page for TA from the get-go. I use the RK star codes to filter mine.
Does the star appear automatically when the reservation comes through TA, or do you have to manually star it?
I manually Star it. Does Copper have a way to automatically make it Red? Would like to know how?
Momma Smurf said:
I manually Star it. Does Copper have a way to automatically make it Red? Would like to know how?
How do you know to star it? How do you know it's a reservation that came in via TA?
Here's what I set up today. Don't yet know if it works or not...
On the Settings tab:
On the Reservation Status page, I created a new status called TripAdvisor and set it's background color to something different and noticeable from my others.
On the Website Tab:
On the Reservation Pages page, I opened the one I use for TA and, Under Settings 2, I set Reservation Status to TripAdvisor (the new status I created above).
I am hoping this will cause new reservations that come from TA to show up on my Reservation Manager tab Availability page as something different from the usual "Confirmed" green status I see for new online reservations. So far, nothing has showed up, but I just created this a few hours ago.

How does tripadvisor work? You pay them a fee and they list a link to your booking engine on your site? How do their fees work is it pay per click or a flat fee? What is trip connect?
I can go read up on tripadvisor to find answers but I'm more interested in your personal experiences.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
I also have individual RK pages linked to all my other referral sources to easily keep track. Aids in monitoring your RK Availability Searches also.
Momma Smurf said:
Does the star appear automatically when the reservation comes through TA, or do you have to manually star it?
Momma Smurf said:
How do you know to star it? How do you know it's a reservation that came in via TA?
On the Settings tab:
On the Reservation Status page, I created a new status called TripAdvisor and set it's background color to something different and noticeable from my others.
On the Website Tab:
On the Reservation Pages page, I opened the one I use for TA and, Under Settings 2, I set Reservation Status to TripAdvisor (the new status I created above).
I am hoping this will cause new reservations that come from TA to show up on my Reservation Manager tab Availability page as something different from the usual "Confirmed" green status I see for new online reservations. So far, nothing has showed up, but I just created this a few hours ago.
I have them set via Reservation Status instead. With TA having colour #AAFF44 as a background colour.

Then in Settings, External Settings, MyA, I have TA set as "Status" of "TA" and it highlights it automatically.
I also created a custom field and populate it, since X can come in either as HotelCollect or Prepaid, I need to know which to do, manually.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
I have them set via Reservation Status instead. With TA having colour #AAFF44 as a background colour.

Then in Settings, External Settings, MyA, I have TA set as "Status" of "TA" and it highlights it automatically.
I also created a custom field and populate it, since X can come in either as HotelCollect or Prepaid, I need to know which to do, manually.
Generic said:
Since I HAPPILY dropped Booking, I don't use MyA anymore. Hoping the method I described above will work for me. We'll see. Thanks!

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:

Generic said:
Since I HAPPILY dropped Booking, I don't use MyA anymore. Hoping the method I described above will work for me. We'll see. Thanks!
One day, BK/X sent me a note comparing rates from my website to theirs... and they got a detailed message on how they screwed up.. compared the wrong rooms, forgot to compare the details (one had a deposit, other didn't) and they got read the riot act... that if I got one more email like that, that didn't include the parity rules, that the contract would be considered broken, by them. I think they turned off the scraping, because I have never received another email from them on the matter.

I do have a deal with X where the local rep can email me when she sees certain things, like a single night set with 2 night minimum. And gentle reminder to open dates... but they already know, the pressure doesn't work with me.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
Thanks! I figured there was a way to do it. I Star it because lots of times, people end up going from the TC RK page to our website and make the reservation directly from our website RK page, not TC, so that wouldn't show up automatically as a coded color. I monitor RK Availability Searches daily. And my RK header has a "button" to go directly to our website for more info.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:

Generic said:

Yes that is how I have done this as well.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
Thanks! I figured there was a way to do it. I Star it because lots of times, people end up going from the TC RK page to our website and make the reservation directly from our website RK page, not TC, so that wouldn't show up automatically as a coded color. I monitor RK Availability Searches daily. And my RK header has a "button" to go directly to our website for more info.
Momma Smurf said:
...people end up going from the TC RK page to our website and make the reservation directly from our website RK page, not TC, so that wouldn't show up automatically as a coded color.
How do you know which reservations started at TA?

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
Momma Smurf said:
...people end up going from the TC RK page to our website and make the reservation directly from our website RK page, not TC, so that wouldn't show up automatically as a coded color.
Because the Trip page shows up first when they check Availability. So when the reservation IP address matches a Trip Availability Search, it's conclusive.

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
Momma Smurf said:
Because the Trip page shows up first when they check Availability. So when the reservation IP address matches a Trip Availability Search, it's conclusive.
Momma Smurf said:
Ah, OK so I just need to find out the TA IP address and watch for it.
I see lots of mention of TA on the availability searches, but on actual reservations made, the availability search activity just says stuff like...
...Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 11_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/604.1.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) GSA/46.0.189829128 Mobile/15A432 Safari/604.1
But it also gives IP of the reservation, so I'll look for TA IP there. Thanks!

MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Arks said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
On the Settings tab:
On the Website Tab:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Hot dog, yes, I'm seeing them. A good Plan B if I can't get RK to color them automatically as being through TA.
But now I'm in a bad mood. Saw one guest who did availability searchs at my regular website reservation page at 10:50, 11:14, and 11:16 a.m., but ended up booking through the TA reservation page at 11:26! So it cost me a click.
But, that just shows she was interested, but went to check me on TA before booking, and once there she saw my "Official Site" link to book through. So the system worked, and I should not be in a bad mood over the click. But of course, I am ;-)

How do you get your first review on trip advisor? Have someone you know post a review?

How do you get your first review on trip advisor? Have someone you know post a review?.
Ask guests. Don't fake.
asking someone you know doesn't have to be fake. I had friends and family stay in the inn and write a review. They really stayed and they really wrote what they observed. It's a good starting point.
We also ask every guest as they leave.

Back