makeshift shower curtain rings?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
have just hung a makeshift shower curtain rod in the 3rd floor bath in front of the clawfoot tub.
but ... no rings! can't get off the peninsula for a few days (of course, i was just in an area where i could have easily bought some if only i'd known i'd need them) and there are none in the general store.
so i am rootling around in my head and in this place for things to use instead.
keeping in mind this is in a harbor ...and this place is .... well .... eclectic ... if that is of any help ...
how about some heavy white twine i have? tie it in some kind of seaman's knot ...
thought i had some rafia but i don't
could buy fishing line at the general store
i don't have enough ribbon on hand but can keep looking
twist ties ... have some, but i don't like that idea.
i am thinking there a few random objects in a box in the attic that i might be able to press into service
suggestions welcome!

update!
have located six funky seashell rings in a box in the basement. so now i need, what, six more or so of something to fill in .......

update!
have located six funky seashell rings in a box in the basement. so now i need, what, six more or so of something to fill in ........
I was going to suggest zip ties with a seashell or two hot glued to the outside as a temporary measure.

update!
have located six funky seashell rings in a box in the basement. so now i need, what, six more or so of something to fill in ........
I was going to suggest zip ties with a seashell or two hot glued to the outside as a temporary measure.
Or 12 gauge (household) copper wire wrapped around a vacuum cleaner hose. (might not be strong enough depending on the weight of the shower curtain.)

Ribbon
Yarn
Shoelaces
Pipe cleaners (but dh says they'll rust...)
Scarves
Belt hangers
Braided dental floss (maybe not...)
Wire hanger (using tin snips)
Coated electrical wire
Napkin rings??
I like the shower cap idea, too.
=)
Kk.

How about some clothesline? Do a loose loop over the rod (like a notebook binding) at each shower curtain hole ending at the wall side. Put a hook of some sort in the wall there and you can bring the end of that clothesline around the curtain to the hook like a tie-back. Use your shells as decorative elements for the ends of the clothes line and at the hook.

update!
Or 12 gauge (household) copper wire wrapped around a vacuum cleaner hose. (might not be strong enough depending on the weight of the shower curtain.)
I would go with 6 gauge bare copper wire. It's used for grounding on electrical boxes and usually available at most hardware and home improvement stores.
Strong enough? You bet. I use it to hang DW's bird feeders and it holds up to racoon abuse. To form into rings, you will need to find something the diameter you want your finished ring to be a piece of metal pipe would be perfect. Use that as a form to bend the wire around. Cut it to length. You might need bolt cutters or a hack saw if you don't have a good pair of electrician's pliers handy.
Copper does not rust, but attains a patina over time.

Have any old towels or wash cloths? Tear/cut into strips and tie 'er up!

How about some clothesline? Do a loose loop over the rod (like a notebook binding) at each shower curtain hole ending at the wall side. Put a hook of some sort in the wall there and you can bring the end of that clothesline around the curtain to the hook like a tie-back. Use your shells as decorative elements for the ends of the clothes line and at the hook..
thanks for your ideas!
have hung the curtain ... wall would not hold a tie back so i'm out of luck there. will post a picture later.

Go buy some S hooks at the hardware store. Those should work...if they have large ones.

How about some clothesline? Do a loose loop over the rod (like a notebook binding) at each shower curtain hole ending at the wall side. Put a hook of some sort in the wall there and you can bring the end of that clothesline around the curtain to the hook like a tie-back. Use your shells as decorative elements for the ends of the clothes line and at the hook..
thanks for your ideas!
have hung the curtain ... wall would not hold a tie back so i'm out of luck there. will post a picture later.
I can't wait to see what you came up with
omg_smile.gif

Go buy some S hooks at the hardware store. Those should work...if they have large ones..
catlady - there is no hardware store around. i just didn't have time to be gone for 2 hours to get to a store before guests were to use the bath.

Go buy some S hooks at the hardware store. Those should work...if they have large ones..
catlady - there is no hardware store around. i just didn't have time to be gone for 2 hours to get to a store before guests were to use the bath.
Yowsa! not even a hardware store....I don't know how you do it.
My main criteria for buying a place was 30 min to the nearest mall:) IF there wasn't a Wal-Mart or similar in town, I am sure I would not have moved here.
Not because of WalMart..but just for the sake of having some place within 5 min. to get most of what I needed when I needed it.
Of course now it doesn't mean a thing. I haven't shopped in the outlet mall in the past year since we have closed...just no need.

I don't know how you do it either. You must be the most organized person ever. Do you have a good pantry and place to stockpile things?
I admire your gumption.

lots of odds and ends around here ... mostly 'odd'
wink_smile.gif
... like the twist tie holding the thingamajig in the toilet tank together with the whatayacallit. but, if it works ....... temporarily .......

My main criteria for buying a place was 30 min to the nearest mall:) IF there wasn't a Wal-Mart or similar in town, I am sure I would not have moved here.
Not because of WalMart..but just for the sake of having some place within 5 min. to get most of what I needed when I needed it.
Of course now it doesn't mean a thing. I haven't shopped in the outlet mall in the past year since we have closed...just no need.
We did a survey recently (DW and I) of where we get the majority of our B&B items. Unfortunately, it was not at the local WalMart. I say unfortunately, because they're open 24/7.
The local supermarket chain is only open from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m. It's good to know when you get last minute guests.

We did a survey recently (DW and I) of where we get the majority of our B&B items. Unfortunately, it was not at the local WalMart. I say unfortunately, because they're open 24/7.
The local supermarket chain is only open from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m. It's good to know when you get last minute guests.
We have no other choice...it is Wal Mart or drive 35 min to the nearest big city. So For us Wal Mart or Food Lion.

Back