Making a cheese platter?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheesetray.JPG
Thank you very much for the suggestions. Here is a photo of what it looks like..
Yummy! Yes, what is in the little covered butter dish? I LOVE the candies :)
Samster said:
Yummy! Yes, what is in the little covered butter dish? I LOVE the candies :)
The butter dish contains goat cheese with fresh herbs from the garden.

The story of the first cheese tray needs to be told so I hope you'll bear with me. It was set up in the room an hour before the stated arrival time to let the cheese come to room temp (thank you whoever posted the link to the cheese newsletter). Then there was a big checkin around the same time. Three rooms all arriving together and one of the rooms had checked in earlier but they were all of a party. They wanted to move their bags out of the way so I told them where the first room was while showing them where the stairs were for the second room.
Off they went to bring the heavy bags to the first room. Then no one returned to check in. One of the party came to me to ask where her bathroom was, she couldn't find it in her room. She had wandered off and put her things in the room with the cheese tray! And she took the cheese tray and gave it to the rest of her family to eat! This was a family that arrived in a stretch limo and they wandered off and went into someone else's room (with the door closed to prevent such an incident) and took their food! Moosie will die laughing when I tell her this later on tonight.
While I am trying to get the cheese tray back the ladies who ordered the tray showed up with more guests in their party than they registered for when they made their reservation. 19 days until Moosie is back..
So did you kill 'em all with kindness or just want to kill 'em all?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
So did you kill 'em all with kindness or just want to kill 'em all?
Thanks to years of this business it is possible to laugh this off as a comedy of errors. And it gives me a good story at the next innkeepers get together. This one might win the prize. Which is a bottle of w(h)ine.
So did you have to make up a second cheese platter for those who had oderered it?
JeannineIrish said:
So did you have to make up a second cheese platter for those who had oderered it?
The guests who swiped it swore they didn't touch anything but a single cracker. It all looked fine and there was no time as the guests who ordered it were ringing the bell as the discovery was being made. There wasn't enough time or food left to make another tray.

I would have turned crimson if I knew one of my guests (1) wandered into another bedroom despite the door being closed, (2) used the washroom, and (3) stole the food that was intended for someone else. Frankly, I would have charged them for the entire plate. Talk about inconsiderate.

I am selling more of these and hate it when I really do it up big and then toss cheese! (Yeah, yeah...I know they're paying for it.) I've been using the Laughing Cow cheeses, which are individually wrapped, along with a few Mini Brie wedges which are also wrapped. Add to that a nice cheddar (sometimes a hard Irish cheese instead), a soft herb blend, and maybe another white cheese. Grapes, strawberries, and sometimes apple slices (depends on arrival time & if I think the apples will turn despite lemon juice). Ginger snaps are good with the soft herb cheese or a sweeter cheese, then gourmet crackers of a couple varieties. No triscuits or Town House crackers here! I charge $25 and it's all presented on a silver, marble and crystal thing with a dome and a crystal cracker holder. We have fridges in most of the rooms so the cheese & fruit part can be refrigerated most of the time. But if you use hard or semi-soft cheeses, you should be OK for awhile.
I offer zip lock bags if they need them to take the leftovers :).
"....Grapes, strawberries, and sometimes apple slices (depends on arrival time & if I think the apples will turn despite lemon juice)."
I have started using 'Fruit Fresh" Produce Protector which is used to stop browning and protects flavor. It comes in a plastic container like spices. You mix a little with a coulpe Tbs of water and pour over the sliced fruit, toss and your done. I can not tell you how long it lasts but it is good for at least 1 1/2 hours for sure. It is reasonable so give it a shot. For those who what to know, ingredients are: Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Critic Acid, Silcon Dioxide (anit-caking).

I am selling more of these and hate it when I really do it up big and then toss cheese! (Yeah, yeah...I know they're paying for it.) I've been using the Laughing Cow cheeses, which are individually wrapped, along with a few Mini Brie wedges which are also wrapped. Add to that a nice cheddar (sometimes a hard Irish cheese instead), a soft herb blend, and maybe another white cheese. Grapes, strawberries, and sometimes apple slices (depends on arrival time & if I think the apples will turn despite lemon juice). Ginger snaps are good with the soft herb cheese or a sweeter cheese, then gourmet crackers of a couple varieties. No triscuits or Town House crackers here! I charge $25 and it's all presented on a silver, marble and crystal thing with a dome and a crystal cracker holder. We have fridges in most of the rooms so the cheese & fruit part can be refrigerated most of the time. But if you use hard or semi-soft cheeses, you should be OK for awhile.
"....Grapes, strawberries, and sometimes apple slices (depends on arrival time & if I think the apples will turn despite lemon juice)."
I have started using 'Fruit Fresh" Produce Protector which is used to stop browning and protects flavor. It comes in a plastic container like spices. You mix a little with a coulpe Tbs of water and pour over the sliced fruit, toss and your done. I can not tell you how long it lasts but it is good for at least 1 1/2 hours for sure. It is reasonable so give it a shot. For those who what to know, ingredients are: Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Critic Acid, Silcon Dioxide (anit-caking).
This is going to be a really stupid question but that's never stopped me before...when using lemon juice to retard browning of fruit, doesn't the fruit taste like lemon juice instead of whatever fruit it is?

Thank you all for your help. Wanted to let you know that the cheese platter was completely gone when the room was cleaned and the baggies were still there so they ate it all last night. Moosie's going to try to work in the story of the cheese tray debacle during her writing class. Her teachers think she has quite the collection of stories to work with. But you all knew that, didn't you?
wink_smile.gif

She wants me to put pen to paper and write down some of my Navy stories, especially the ones all the kids like to hear. I'm hoping she does it for me. I just like telling the stories but it would be nice if the great grand kids knew something about their old grandad's adventures when I'm gone.

Thanks for posting this, I get guests all the time who bring the stuff to do this, it never occurred to me to make this as an add-on! Duh!!!

A nice creamy Brie or Camembert, a sharp cheddar (local if you can get it), maybe a goat cheese with herbs or a bleu or gorgonzola if you want stinky. I've been told to mix up the milks (goat, sheep, cow); mix up the textures (soft, hard, crumbly) and mix up the flavors (mild, medium, strong) as much as possible. Add some rustic crackers or bread rounds, maybe some grapes or strawberries or olives. Unsalted almonds are a nice touch with a cheese plate, also.
My favorite workshop at the Select Registry conference was a wine/cheese workshop - the workshop was led by Laura Werlin, author of Cheese Essentials. I bought a copy of the book even though I don't do cheese platters here - it has a great recipe for pan forte. She has a newsletter, too..
Is it acceptable to to slice the cheeses for ease of eating for a to-go version, instead of leaving the whole brick or wedge?? Would it affect the quality of taste?

A nice creamy Brie or Camembert, a sharp cheddar (local if you can get it), maybe a goat cheese with herbs or a bleu or gorgonzola if you want stinky. I've been told to mix up the milks (goat, sheep, cow); mix up the textures (soft, hard, crumbly) and mix up the flavors (mild, medium, strong) as much as possible. Add some rustic crackers or bread rounds, maybe some grapes or strawberries or olives. Unsalted almonds are a nice touch with a cheese plate, also.
My favorite workshop at the Select Registry conference was a wine/cheese workshop - the workshop was led by Laura Werlin, author of Cheese Essentials. I bought a copy of the book even though I don't do cheese platters here - it has a great recipe for pan forte. She has a newsletter, too..
Is it acceptable to to slice the cheeses for ease of eating for a to-go version, instead of leaving the whole brick or wedge?? Would it affect the quality of taste?
Cheese people make a big deal out of having a fresh 'face' on the cheese when you buy it or put it out, so if it's a to-go situation where it may be a while before they eat it won't be as fresh if you slice it. Unless you've got disposable cheese knives though, it would be a lot easier for the eater.

Our new cheeseboard! Yum! This one shows fresh, locally grown fruits (except grapes and peach, not yet!) and French Brie with wild plum sauce, Danish Dill harvati, Norwegian Gjetost with butter crackers, baguette & Herbes de Provence crackers...
I made it on the beautiful cutting board my daughter made me in her shop class a couple years ago...
cutting-board.jpg

web_cheese_plate-2_0.jpg
i couldn't figure out the size thing, but you get the idea.... The high rez pic is nicer. No fake food here, we ate it for dinner!

Our new cheeseboard! Yum! This one shows fresh, locally grown fruits (except grapes and peach, not yet!) and French Brie with wild plum sauce, Danish Dill harvati, Norwegian Gjetost with butter crackers, baguette & Herbes de Provence crackers...
I made it on the beautiful cutting board my daughter made me in her shop class a couple years ago...
cutting-board.jpg

web_cheese_plate-2_0.jpg
i couldn't figure out the size thing, but you get the idea.... The high rez pic is nicer. No fake food here, we ate it for dinner!.
Wow! That is pretty! I am HUNGRY!!

cutting-board.jpg

web_cheese_plate-2_0.jpg
i couldn't figure out the size thing, but you get the idea.... The high rez pic is nicer. No fake food here, we ate it for dinner!.
Wow! That looks spectacular!

This is going to be a really stupid question but that's never stopped me before...when using lemon juice to retard browning of fruit, doesn't the fruit taste like lemon juice instead of whatever fruit it is?
Bree said:
I always wondered the same thing. Any answers??

Willowpond, that looks spectacular! Did you do the layout yourself or did you have professional help?

Bree said:
I always wondered the same thing. Any answers??
Yes, I find the fruit to have a tartness about it. I posted this recently (not sure if this thread or not) but I now use a Produce protector called Fruit Fresh - www.fruit-fresh.com It comes in a shaker container like spices. Works real well and I have not tasted much difference in the taste of the fruit - I have done several taste tests. Works really well when doing a fruit bowl where you can shake and stir, then place in fridge until breakfast time.

Willowpond, that looks spectacular! Did you do the layout yourself or did you have professional help?.
I am the professional sista'!
chef.gif
Hee-hee, nope just grouped everything and sprinkled the wild plums around. That's what I meant by grouping in the chocolate covered fruit pic, the organization of it makes it look nice...

Willowpond, that looks spectacular! Did you do the layout yourself or did you have professional help?.
I am the professional sista'!
chef.gif
Hee-hee, nope just grouped everything and sprinkled the wild plums around. That's what I meant by grouping in the chocolate covered fruit pic, the organization of it makes it look nice...
It's the lighting and the organization. The lighting is spot on. It looks professional. Like you know someone or something!

cutting-board.jpg

web_cheese_plate-2_0.jpg
That is fantastic looking! I love that Norwegian cheese but have been afraid that some folks would look at it and wonder. Both of y'all have given me some good ideas for the future. Thank you!

Back