Making a fitted sheet from a flat one?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I now have 2 king flat sheets and no fitted sheets (stains I cannot remove). I've tried finding fitted sheets to make a set, but no luck. Is it possible to sew up one of the flat sheets to make it a fitted sheet? Or does that not work when the flat sheet is the same bed size?

I don't think you would have enough once you gathered but it depends on whether your sheets are deep pocket in which case they may
Then again depending on the style of your Inn, and you can't find matching, go with something that COMPLETELY contrasts and your guests will think it;s UNIQUE design!!

YES, it is possible. I do it all the time since all but one of my rooms are custom mattresses of odd shapes. Most of my sheets are custom made by yours truly. It takes time (at least for me - I stare at it for a while before cutting anything). Lay the sheet over the bed and use chalk and pins to mark the corners. Sew darts in the corners, trim the excess, then either sew the elastic in the edges or make a casing and feed the elastic through it. I make all our sheets, so-called blankets, coverlets, etc. I sew all of the soft goods here, even upholstry and canvas enclosures.
If you're short on fabric, you can cut a "plate" which is the pattern of the surface of the mattress. Then you can sew on a "side" around it. this means you can piece together the side (it's got a name, I can't remember) - basically, you need to assemble a piece of sheeting that is somewhat deeper than your mattress and sew it to the top plate. Hard to explain without photos. If you're coming up short on fabric, the side panel can be pieced together to make one continuous piece of fabric that is something wider than the depth of your mattress and long enough to equal the circumference of the mattress. Again, hard to put into words...this is why a set of sheets for a yacht can cost several hundred dollars. I chose to sew (because I can) rather than pay. :)

YES, it is possible. I do it all the time since all but one of my rooms are custom mattresses of odd shapes. Most of my sheets are custom made by yours truly. It takes time (at least for me - I stare at it for a while before cutting anything). Lay the sheet over the bed and use chalk and pins to mark the corners. Sew darts in the corners, trim the excess, then either sew the elastic in the edges or make a casing and feed the elastic through it. I make all our sheets, so-called blankets, coverlets, etc. I sew all of the soft goods here, even upholstry and canvas enclosures.
If you're short on fabric, you can cut a "plate" which is the pattern of the surface of the mattress. Then you can sew on a "side" around it. this means you can piece together the side (it's got a name, I can't remember) - basically, you need to assemble a piece of sheeting that is somewhat deeper than your mattress and sew it to the top plate. Hard to explain without photos. If you're coming up short on fabric, the side panel can be pieced together to make one continuous piece of fabric that is something wider than the depth of your mattress and long enough to equal the circumference of the mattress. Again, hard to put into words...this is why a set of sheets for a yacht can cost several hundred dollars. I chose to sew (because I can) rather than pay. :).
I know I can undo the top edge of the sheet if I need more length. I'll lay it all out next week when it's quiet.

I don't think you would have enough once you gathered but it depends on whether your sheets are deep pocket in which case they may
Then again depending on the style of your Inn, and you can't find matching, go with something that COMPLETELY contrasts and your guests will think it;s UNIQUE design!!.
That's where I was- looking for plaids or stripes to offset the floral top sheet. Nothing. Maybe I should look for a different color. That might be too different. Mostly I'm annoyed that the stains are impossible. In one case mold. How do sheets get moldy? In another case it looks like a pee stain but no corresponding stain on either of the mattress pads. I was just getting ready to throw everything out when I realized I still had a second top sheet in the cupboard. Plus 8 pillowcases. That's a lot to toss.

Have you tried soaking them in Biz? Not sure what that stuff really is, when when I put water on it, it gets hot. My mother has been using that for stains since before I was born, and it got red wine and melted butter out of an antique linen tablecloth. I put some Biz in a bucket, put cold water in it and then stuffed the linens in there so that everything was covered and wet. I let it soak for 2 days. All clean. Try it.

i think the mildew comes because they weren't completely dry when folded and put away. so, on that damp spot, the mildew grows. i had this problem with some big towels. i didn't see mildew but i could smell it.

I would donate the extra flat sheets to a charity. :) Sorry that didn't answer your question.....
Samster said:
I would donate the extra flat sheets to a charity. :) Sorry that didn't answer your question....
Just what I was thinking. Give them to someone who can really use them the way they are and buy nice new matching ones for the people paying huge cash to sleep on them.

I would donate the extra flat sheets to a charity. :) Sorry that didn't answer your question.....
Samster said:
I would donate the extra flat sheets to a charity. :) Sorry that didn't answer your question....
Just what I was thinking. Give them to someone who can really use them the way they are and buy nice new matching ones for the people paying huge cash to sleep on them.
thumbs_up.gif
I was thinking the same. I guess I just didn't have the time to try to retro-fit things. I also use old sheets for drop clothes for painting and stuff like that.

I will probably do just that. No amount of searching has come up with fitted sheets I would like to pair up with the flat sheets and trying to make the fitted sheet won't go well. I see a shopping trip in my future.

Back