Making Gift Baskets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Hi!
It has been a busy summer and have driven myself nuts over 2 rooms and a full time job (with a few days off here and there, I might add!) Now I'm down to w/e's only.
I'm considering making gift baskets with shrink wrap. My cost for the basket with 2 cheap wine glasses, "grass" Bath and Body Works lotion, homemade bath salts, wrap and sachet is $21. I've also done another basket with 4 theater candies, basket and wrap. Cost is about $6. How much would you suggest I sell them for? I will also consider custom baskets as well.
Thanks,
Carol

Most people charge double what they spend, but $42 seems a bit much for what you describe and what I see. A good rule of thumb is how much would it be worth to you?! How much would you be willing to pay for something like what you are offering?

I agree that double seems like too much for what you're offering. Chances are that your basket will be left behind by your guests (I've done a spa basket and no one takes them), so you might not factor in that cost. I would say $8 on the candy basket, if you threw in a microwave popcorn package you could go for $10, and $25 on the other basket. Would be nice to see a loofah, sponge or bath pillow in the one basket. (You can get those at the $1 store.)

If possible I would add wine or champagne to the spa basket. the wine glasses are sort of a tease without it.
tounge_smile.gif

If you cannot do wine, maybe a couple of cute mugs with your logo or a pattern that helps identify where you are (for example in Hawaii I would put something with tropical flowers or fish - something you could find in a tourist shop) with some nice tea and cookies or chocolate would be a good substitute.
Also I would put the glasses /mugs together and put the BBW lotion more in front, I don't know what that is in front of the lotion.
Same with the candy basket, movie tickets should be in front.

If possible I would add wine or champagne to the spa basket. the wine glasses are sort of a tease without it.
tounge_smile.gif

If you cannot do wine, maybe a couple of cute mugs with your logo or a pattern that helps identify where you are (for example in Hawaii I would put something with tropical flowers or fish - something you could find in a tourist shop) with some nice tea and cookies or chocolate would be a good substitute.
Also I would put the glasses /mugs together and put the BBW lotion more in front, I don't know what that is in front of the lotion.
Same with the candy basket, movie tickets should be in front..
Thanks for your replies. In front of the basket are a sashet for a drawer, a jar of bath salts and a nylon bath puff. The big $ item here is the lotion for $10. The jar probably cost about $3. Glasses $1 apiece, puff, about 25 cents, plastic $1, grass $2 and basket about $2.
I'm sure I can't do wine, but thought about a gift certificate from the winery, less than 5 minutes away.
I'm getting the baskets from Goodwill and Dollar Tree, for $1-3.
Carol

tounge_smile.gif

Thanks for your replies. In front of the basket are a sashet for a drawer, a jar of bath salts and a nylon bath puff. The big $ item here is the lotion for $10. The jar probably cost about $3. Glasses $1 apiece, puff, about 25 cents, plastic $1, grass $2 and basket about $2.
I'm sure I can't do wine, but thought about a gift certificate from the winery, less than 5 minutes away.
Carol
I think a pretty bow would be a good addition. The basket "look" needs some jazzing up. Or maybe a nice gift bag from Dollar Tree...they have some real cute looking ones.

tounge_smile.gif

Carol
Oriental Trading has a special right now on Easter Basket grass - 12 oz for $5.99. That should help cut your costs.( After Easter sales I can usually get it for 25 cents a pkg at the grocery. Do not know how many ounces but that stuff is light!) With the wine glasses either the coupon for the winery or a bottle of sparkling cider. They sound like great baskets.
I think 50% to 100% mark-up is not out of line. I know many things are 100% mark-up. I once worked for a lingerie company and the retail price (attached to the item at the factory for the private label items - they did Sears, Wards, and others) was double the cost. Employees could purchase for the same 1/2 retail price the stores paid.

Who will you be marketing these to?.
Sorry, guests only, at least at this point. I was thinking something like "bath basket," "movie basket," etc.
Do you have a microwave to add some of the "movie butter" microwave popcorn?
Mmm. Are you suggesting adding an individual package or a box to the basket? Yes, we do have a microwave. It is funny that going to the movies is one of the top 5 things that guests do when they come here. You'd think they could do that at home. (I do provide about 50 DVDs for them to enjoy while here.)
C

tounge_smile.gif

Carol
I think a pretty bow would be a good addition. The basket "look" needs some jazzing up. Or maybe a nice gift bag from Dollar Tree...they have some real cute looking ones.
As you're probably realized by now, El, I'm a little dense from time to time. Are you suggesting that I put 1) a bag in the basket; 2) basket in a bag; or 3) forget the basket and put everything in a bag? I might be able to add a bow to the front of the basket. I've tried to keep it a feminine pink color.
C

tounge_smile.gif

Carol
As you're probably realized by now, El, I'm a little dense from time to time. Are you suggesting that I put 1) a bag in the basket; 2) basket in a bag; or 3) forget the basket and put everything in a bag? I might be able to add a bow to the front of the basket. I've tried to keep it a feminine pink color.
C
OH I was just suggesting another alternative depending on what kind of package it is. Some might be appropriate given in a tissue lined cute bag and others maybe good in a wrapped basket. Bows could match whatever the package. I wouldn't necessarily go with pink unless it is a girly gift package. Take a look at some gift basket sites to get some good ideas of ways to package things

Who will you be marketing these to?.
Sorry, guests only, at least at this point. I was thinking something like "bath basket," "movie basket," etc.
Do you have a microwave to add some of the "movie butter" microwave popcorn?
Mmm. Are you suggesting adding an individual package or a box to the basket? Yes, we do have a microwave. It is funny that going to the movies is one of the top 5 things that guests do when they come here. You'd think they could do that at home. (I do provide about 50 DVDs for them to enjoy while here.)
C
I would add 2 portions (to clarify what I mean by 2 packs) of nuker popcorn. Popcorn and movie tickets go together like bread & butter.

Back