Making it work…

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biekervi

Reaction score
We are looking at a few properties that will need to be remodeled in order to work in a B&B style room. We know some architects, but we’re wondering if it’s better to work with someone that has the background of working with a B&B. We’d like to stay with someone local but we’re not sure how to start the search.
(A google search for “B&B architects Wisconsin” gave me a nice list of the B&Bs of the state or Frank Lloyd Wright locations. Both interesting but not useful.)
Any ideas?

Uneducated opinion, but seems to me that someone local would be more familiar with local requirements. To me personality would be important, someone willing to listen and understand my vision.

Someone local who is not only an architect but who has a track record of working well with the local authorities (planning, building inspectors, permit office) is worth their weight in gold. We found both our architect and our builder at the planning meetings we attended before we started our project.

That might be a way for you to start your search as well. Or talk to some people who've had work done. We've given out lots of recommendations for people who worked on our project.

totally get someone local. Every city has their own way of doing things and they will know how to navigate the permitting and approval process... and they have experience with older buildings... far outweighs a "B&B architect" from out of town

It also sends a good message to the locals that you're not a "carpetbagger" just coming in and not respecting the area's talent.
That can translate into a good welcome, new friends, and local referrals to your B&B.

We looked in Door County as well. The issue we found was that zoning restrictions in many of the municipalities only allowed us four rooms which we didn’t think was enough for what we wanted. Good luck.
We found a property that has 5 rooms and in the heart of town. Because of our conversation, the first thing I did was research the zoning and we’re good to go. This is about 5 years earlier then we expected, but the location and house is perfect. (Assuming that we are able to get through closing.)

We found a property that has 5 rooms and in the heart of town. Because of our conversation, the first thing I did was research the zoning and we’re good to go. This is about 5 years earlier then we expected, but the location and house is perfect. (Assuming that we are able to get through closing.)
Thats great. we found a 7 bedroom house that was used for a VRBO the the zoning wouldnt allow a bed and breakfast more than 4 rooms

Back