Making Yogurt

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
does anyone make yogurt? i did loooong ago and am thinking i will again. and rather than use glass jars, i thought i'd get a yogurt maker. actually, the little santas in my life have been asking what i would like for christmas. hmmmm

I used to also but have not for years. Cannot even remember why I quit doing it.

Me too..been years since I made any. Just became to spoiled and lazy i guess. So many things I used to do...which I do not do now. Oh well...life goes one:)

Have in the past, haven't done it since I had twins. Will probably do it again eventually. Soooo easy!
=)
Kk.

When we went to Greece a couple of years ago, we got totally hooked on their yogurt. It's extremely thick and doesn't have the sour tast of American plain yogurt. We were lucky to find it here in the states at Whole Foods and most health food stores. We get a brand called Fage.
http://fageusa.com/
We use this exclusively at breakfast. It makes a great topping when sweetened with honey and it marvelous with fruit.
All other yogurts pale in comparison!
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

When we went to Greece a couple of years ago, we got totally hooked on their yogurt. It's extremely thick and doesn't have the sour tast of American plain yogurt. We were lucky to find it here in the states at Whole Foods and most health food stores. We get a brand called Fage.
http://fageusa.com/
We use this exclusively at breakfast. It makes a great topping when sweetened with honey and it marvelous with fruit.
All other yogurts pale in comparison!
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
If you can't find greek style yogurt, make your own thickened yogurt. Buy plain natural yogurt (the kind with just milk indregients; no gelatin, pectin or other fillers). Line a mesh sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set over a deep bowl. Fill with yogurt, cover, and drain overnight in the fridge. Next morning, discard the liquid and sweeten the thickened yogurt to taste with honey or brown sugar. Makes a great topping on fruit and guests love it.
You can use low-fat, no-fat or full-fat yogurt. It doesn't matter as long as it's natural. Of course, like everything, the higher the fat content, the creamier it will be with a richer mouthfeel.

I have a friend who makes it in her oven. She only ever uses her home "Greek style" yogurt. I think she has to leave it in her oven on a very low temp in glass jars for several hours. I think a yogurt maker would be much easier. I should think about getting one because I go through a ton of yogurt here.

i eat yogurt usually every day. a yogurt maker would be a 'toy' ... for me that i would like to have. haven't asked for or bought a kitchen toy in a long time.
funny, the gadgets folks give you. people have given me kitchen toys i did not ask for and so gave away ... like a mini roaster my son saw on an infomercial so he bought it for me. i used it once but not again. asked if he'd be hurt if i gave it back to him, no but he did not want it. so gave it to his sister whose oven is junk and she is delighted with it. before that, someone gave me an egg scrambler for in your microwave. never used that and gave it to the white elephant sale at a local church. ditto a bloomin onion maker ...

Back