Male vs female guests making reservations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a new trend or any stats on who is making the majority of booking at B&B's currently?
I seem to be having females booking the rooms more than ever before - even if they put a male name and cc on the online form it is a female I speak with.
Your thoughts on this?
Should this impact or influence anything on our marketing side? (I know this is a generic statement) But if females love to see breakfast photos more than males? Or vice versa? I have no idea what the stats would show on what is MORE appealing to the female psyche.

MOST of my reservations through the years have been made by the lady.

I think I have always heard that marketing for lodging for pleasure travel - not business travel - should always be targeted to the woman, not the man. I would say that the majority of our reservations are also made by women.

Interesting.
What do think we should "gear" toward the ladies? Is there one aspect of your B&B that those ladies comment on?
Example: For you Muirford gearing info about walking to the quaint shops down your street would be appealing to the ladies. If a male calls I can hear in the backgroudn the lady saying "Ask if there are any antique malls nearby?"
Maybe I should comment more on that...or blog on it! AH HA she says...blog.

I have always highlighted the "warm & fuzzies" covered bridges, craft shops, antiques, comfy beds, robes, bath sheets, great food, etc. Usually when traveling if SHE is happy, he is happy. At home I think most women try to keep HIM happy and when they travel, it is her turn.

Women are people too! Don't "dumb down" your ads but always be factual about what you have. Some women hate shopping and frilly things (me) and some men find the same just wonderful. Last I looked we were not living in a sexist world. When I see exceptionally frilly fluffy rooms I'll avoid them so don't focus on something you assume would be a key.

Women are people too! Don't "dumb down" your ads but always be factual about what you have. Some women hate shopping and frilly things (me) and some men find the same just wonderful. Last I looked we were not living in a sexist world. When I see exceptionally frilly fluffy rooms I'll avoid them so don't focus on something you assume would be a key..
ginocat said:
Women are people too! Don't "dumb down" your ads but always be factual about what you have. Some women hate shopping and frilly things (me) and some men find the same just wonderful. Last I looked we were not living in a sexist world. When I see exceptionally frilly fluffy rooms I'll avoid them so don't focus on something you assume would be a key.
I don't like frilly either. I am not talking frilly fluffy nor am I dumbing them down, sheesh. I am thinking of items I should focus on and highlight. I was thinking more along the lines of comfort or elegance, style, book signings, antiquing, wineries, things that many women do love. We are living in a sexist world, most ads are geared to a certain sex or demographic - age, education, etc. In fact our state had a whole tourism promotion dedicated to girl friend getaways and all things female. It is the Live Passionately theme.

Women are people too! Don't "dumb down" your ads but always be factual about what you have. Some women hate shopping and frilly things (me) and some men find the same just wonderful. Last I looked we were not living in a sexist world. When I see exceptionally frilly fluffy rooms I'll avoid them so don't focus on something you assume would be a key..
ginocat said:
I don't like frilly either. I am not talking frilly fluffy nor am I dumbing them down, sheesh. I am thinking of items I should focus on and highlight. I was thinking more along the lines of comfort or elegance, style, book signings, antiquing, wineries, things that many women do love. We are living in a sexist world, most ads are geared to a certain sex or demographic - age, education, etc. In fact our state had a whole tourism promotion dedicated to girl friend getaways and all things female. It is the Live Passionately theme.
Look, I know a lot of men who like exactly those things and I know women who do not. We are dealing with accommodation and not selling perfume or linens. I truly think that unless dealing with either male or female retreats or "girl getaways" advertising and web sites should reflect what we have in a manner to attract both genders. Women make reservations but they also think of their husbands or partners and what they would like, too. That's my opinion anyway.

Interesting.
What do think we should "gear" toward the ladies? Is there one aspect of your B&B that those ladies comment on?
Example: For you Muirford gearing info about walking to the quaint shops down your street would be appealing to the ladies. If a male calls I can hear in the backgroudn the lady saying "Ask if there are any antique malls nearby?"
Maybe I should comment more on that...or blog on it! AH HA she says...blog..
I've noticed that if comments are going to be made, it's the guys who make them...and top of their list is generally: food & cleanliness. Women comment on the beds and the comfort of the mattresses.

I'm getting bookings from both. Sometimes the hubby says he asked the wife about going. Sometimes the other way around. Both husbands and wives are booking. I'll have to find some time to go back and check if one books more than the other. We are used a lot for anniversaries, birthdays, and that kind of stuff.
RIki

The Celebrity Apprentice was all about makig a viral video to sell a laundry detergent last night. It was very interesting. It was all about their target audience. I am sure more than just their target audience buys laundry detergent, but they had a specific demographic in mind. Both groups failed however.

SweetiePie said:
I much prefer dealing with men over women. Sorry girls. We do a lot of honeymoons and anniversaries and they men are much more cut and dried, appreciate that we handle all the details for them, and spend more money.
Women booking spa getaways for girlfriends are the worst, in my opinion. They never know what they want, don't want to spend any money and are always chainging their mind, often just flaking out all together.
That's been my experience anyway, for what it's worth.
We are fine dealing with men or women until it comes to those getaways. Yes. A pain to the point that I won't take them anymore. If it's just friends traveling together it's fine and they just book with maybe a couple of questions and are fun guests - usually wives whose husbands don't like to travel, etc.
But I won't book bachelorette groups on the wine tours (only did 2 and that was enough for me) or girl getaways. We love our couples!!!!
I see the mob mentality when out touring and see the groups traveling with the limos. And after seeing what the tasting rooms go through,and hearing what they find in their bathrooms, no thank you.
Riki
Riki

The Celebrity Apprentice was all about makig a viral video to sell a laundry detergent last night. It was very interesting. It was all about their target audience. I am sure more than just their target audience buys laundry detergent, but they had a specific demographic in mind. Both groups failed however..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
The Celebrity Apprentice was all about makig a viral video to sell a laundry detergent last night. It was very interesting. It was all about their target audience. I am sure more than just their target audience buys laundry detergent, but they had a specific demographic in mind. Both groups failed however.
My daughter used to 'name' new products (yeah, someone has to do it!) They were given the target market by the product company. She was telling me about the job interview (kind of like The Apprentice) and everyone having to name a new car wash (everyone interviewed together). The target market was 20-35 years old. She told me the name she came up with that got her the job (I don't remember what it was) and I said, 'That doesn't sound like a place I would go.'
Withering tone, 'Muuuuutherrrrrrrrr, YOU'RE not the target market.'
Hubs's youngest brother is young enough to be my son and he's lived with us a few times. I had told him the above story a long time ago. He came home one day with a new haircut and asked me what I thought. I wasn't impressed and said so. He said, 'Well, you're not the target market are you?' Ha, ha.
So, it's a running joke around here if someone doesn't like something...'You're not the target market.'
Look at the PT Cruiser. THAT car was supposed to be a 20-something car until it was co-opted by baby boomers. Then no self-respecting 20-something would buy it! The car company completely missed on that one.

I never did answer the original question...it's mostly women booking here. Even tho they will use their husband's cc number and put his name first on the booking, it's women who book. Men who book tell me their wife/girlfirend told them to. They most of the time can't answer a simple question like are there any food allergies (they don't know what their wife/girlfriend/child can or cannot eat), they don't know their zip code (they never mail anything from home), they don't know what time their flight gets in (they didn't make the plane reservations), etc.
Never has a woman called who did not know the above info.

The Celebrity Apprentice was all about makig a viral video to sell a laundry detergent last night. It was very interesting. It was all about their target audience. I am sure more than just their target audience buys laundry detergent, but they had a specific demographic in mind. Both groups failed however..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
My daughter used to 'name' new products (yeah, someone has to do it!) They were given the target market by the product company. She was telling me about the job interview (kind of like The Apprentice) and everyone having to name a new car wash (everyone interviewed together). The target market was 20-35 years old. She told me the name she came up with that got her the job (I don't remember what it was) and I said, 'That doesn't sound like a place I would go.'
Hubs's youngest brother is young enough to be my son and he's lived with us a few times. I had told him the above story a long time ago. He came home one day with a new haircut and asked me what I thought. I wasn't impressed and said so. He said, 'Well, you're not the target market are you?' Ha, ha.
So, it's a running joke around here if someone doesn't like something...'You're not the target market.'
Look at the PT Cruiser. THAT car was supposed to be a 20-something car until it was co-opted by baby boomers. Then no self-respecting 20-something would buy it! The car company completely missed on that one.
Bree said:
Please tell me where you got 20-somthing for a throw back style car like the PT Cruiser? It is baby boomer all the way - ie "Cruiser" and woodie style if chosen. Female in her 60's at the way. I know this as my mum drives one and I laugh every time I see one there is someone who looks just like her with a cig in hand cruising along in them. ha ha That is our joke around here. I drove it a couple time taking them to the airport etc, and I was embarrassed. But then I drove DH's 4x4 with his oke pipes and I was a dude magnet - boys took notice. I won't drive either again.
whattha.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Please tell me where you got 20-somthing for a throw back style car like the PT Cruiser? It is baby boomer all the way - ie "Cruiser" and woodie style if chosen. Female in her 60's at the way. I know this as my mum drives one and I laugh every time I see one there is someone who looks just like her with a cig in hand cruising along in them. ha ha That is our joke around here. I drove it a couple time taking them to the airport etc, and I was embarrassed. But then I drove DH's 4x4 with his oke pipes and I was a dude magnet - boys took notice. I won't drive either again.
whattha.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif
After it was taken over by exactly the person you describe, it came out that it was planned as a 'kid car' and not a boomer car. So, I'm guessing I read it in Road & Track or Car & Driver. Everyone I know who has one is female and over a certain age!
My nephew was given an almost brand new VW Beetle. It sat in the driveway for weeks- he refused to drive it because it's a 'girl' car. (Now, if that were my kid, the car would have been sold and I would have pocketed the money- ungrateful wretch!)

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif
After it was taken over by exactly the person you describe, it came out that it was planned as a 'kid car' and not a boomer car. So, I'm guessing I read it in Road & Track or Car & Driver. Everyone I know who has one is female and over a certain age!
My nephew was given an almost brand new VW Beetle. It sat in the driveway for weeks- he refused to drive it because it's a 'girl' car. (Now, if that were my kid, the car would have been sold and I would have pocketed the money- ungrateful wretch!)
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif
Hm, I can't imagine. Same with those GM panel wagons I call "bread wagons" but alas the demographic is changing for the PT Cruiser, around here anyway. Resold used PT's are not the 60+ year old women. :)

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
whattha.gif
Hm, I can't imagine. Same with those GM panel wagons I call "bread wagons" but alas the demographic is changing for the PT Cruiser, around here anyway. Resold used PT's are not the 60+ year old women. :)
And then there's the Subaru Outback. I'm almost certain that the designers didn't think 'hey, lesbians need their own car,' but I have a ton of friends who swear they know a lot of lesbians who buy THAT car in particular. To the point where the guys who see women in them, won't even approach those women.

I much prefer dealing with men over women. Sorry girls. We do a lot of honeymoons and anniversaries and the men are much more cut and dried, appreciate that we handle all the details for them, and spend more money.
Women booking spa getaways for girlfriends are the worst, in my opinion. They never know what they want, don't want to spend any money and are always chainging their mind, often just flaking out all together.
That's been my experience anyway, for what it's worth.

Back