Man’s struggles spur zoning change - INN the news 01.07.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'No lockable doors between guest space and innkeeper space'? I don't think so. I know what they mean, it can't be a separate 'apt' or 2 family dwelling. But, darn tootin' that innkeeper had better be able to lock their paperwork away someplace and not have guests wandering into their bedroom!
Kudos to the town, tho, for addressing what was obviously an issue with codes.

I agree with you Bree - I think I would need clarification on the 'no lockable doors between guest space and innkeeper space'.
It also appears as though Hursey is building the space for the B&B, thus do not see why he would keep fighting the sprinkler issue. If he was just turning his home into a B&B with the current structure, I would agree that he should be allowed the same treatment of the other B&B's in the county. I think most areas have laws in place that new structures must comply with.

I agree with you Bree - I think I would need clarification on the 'no lockable doors between guest space and innkeeper space'.
It also appears as though Hursey is building the space for the B&B, thus do not see why he would keep fighting the sprinkler issue. If he was just turning his home into a B&B with the current structure, I would agree that he should be allowed the same treatment of the other B&B's in the county. I think most areas have laws in place that new structures must comply with..
He may get hit with ADA compliance issues, too, then. I didn't read closely enough to realize he was building this from scratch.

It also appears as though Hursey is building the space for the B&B, thus do not see why he would keep fighting the sprinkler issue. If he was just turning his home into a B&B with the current structure, I would agree that he should be allowed the same treatment of the other B&B's in the county. I think most areas have laws in place that new structures must comply with..
He may get hit with ADA compliance issues, too, then. I didn't read closely enough to realize he was building this from scratch.
You may be right but if I read correctly, he is limited to only 4 guest rooms and ADA does not take affect until 6 or more rooms. (Aren't I remembering correctly?) But with all of his rooms on the first floor, the compliance would be less damaging to the bank account.

Each bedroom having direct access to the outside yet STILL needing to have sprinkler systems???? Oy VEY!

You may be right but if I read correctly, he is limited to only 4 guest rooms and ADA does not take affect until 6 or more rooms. (Aren't I remembering correctly?) But with all of his rooms on the first floor, the compliance would be less damaging to the bank account.
Yea, I was thinking something similar, perhaps 5 rooms, but I basically agree with you.

Because it is new construction is probably why the sprinklers requirement. Here though if every room has direct access to the outside sprinklers are not required - for existing structures. I think the sprinklers would kick in with new regardless. Don't motels have to be sprinklered?

Because it is new construction is probably why the sprinklers requirement. Here though if every room has direct access to the outside sprinklers are not required - for existing structures. I think the sprinklers would kick in with new regardless. Don't motels have to be sprinklered?.
gillumhouse said:
Because it is new construction is probably why the sprinklers requirement. Here though if every room has direct access to the outside sprinklers are not required - for existing structures. I think the sprinklers would kick in with new regardless. Don't motels have to be sprinklered?
I was in a hotel not too long ago that wasn't sprinklered. There I am, lying in bed staring at the ceiling wondering what's missing (besides hubs) and it came to me...no sprinkler heads. I got up and looked around. None in my room, none in the hallway. And yet I have to have them here. Same state.

Back