Managing Unemployment Premiums in a Time of Joblessness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Managing Unemployment Premiums in a Time of Joblessness
New York Times
Ms. White, 51, the founder of BnBFinder.com, a bed-and-breakfast search engine and booking site, hired the employee after the employee's previous company, a Web site that matched aspiring authors with ghostwriters, went out of business. ...
This is not a discussion of joblessness in the news, BUT sharing one of our own Mary White from BnBFinder INN THE NEWS in the NY Times. Many of you know Mary.

I'm not understanding why she was responsible for the unemployment benefits of an employee who quit to go work somewhere else. That sounds like a scam on her from her former employee who could not collect from the company that went under.

Do not get me started on unemployment benefits. Someone, and we do not know who as it was before our time, collected over $12k in unemployment insurance from this business. As we are a successor to that orignal business, that $12k is still on the books as far as the state is concerned. We pay the highest possible premiums every month because, guess what business owners, YOU are required to pay that back if you are in an overage situation. Being as no one here makes a salary except the PT summer help it will take approximately 50 years to pay it back, $15/paycheck.
Keep that in mind if you are buying an existing business.

No one makes a salary...I feel like eeyore after reading that. big sigh.

No one makes a salary...I feel like eeyore after reading that. big sigh..
Joey Bloggs said:
No one makes a salary...I feel like eeyore after reading that. big sigh.
I'd love to pay me what I'm worth! If I wanted to live here, in a house half the size, there is one for sale a few doors away for $695,000. Not sure how the heck I could pay for that.
Ex-innkeepers we know listed their 'summer' house for sale this year. We got all excited! We have talked about moving to this community when we are done here. Maybe we could get this house now and have a place to go in the off season. They want almost $300k for it. WAY out of our budget.
When we move, I want to pay cash for the house and be done with it. That way we can do whatever piddley-ass jobs we want and not have to worry about a mortgage!

We had a long-time employee quit to relocate to another state - unexpectedly and without much notice. A year later, she filed for unemployment in our state. If you don't contest the claim, unemployment is automatically awarded. We received letters in the mail that were literally due the day we received them, or the claim would be approved. No one ever answered the phone or returned a message at the state office. We faxed the stuff into them but never knew what happened. She didn't even say on her claim that she was let go.

The stupid article did NOT go back and say how Mary's case wqas resolved. Did she win it or lose? I hope she won.

Do not get me started on unemployment benefits. Someone, and we do not know who as it was before our time, collected over $12k in unemployment insurance from this business. As we are a successor to that orignal business, that $12k is still on the books as far as the state is concerned. We pay the highest possible premiums every month because, guess what business owners, YOU are required to pay that back if you are in an overage situation. Being as no one here makes a salary except the PT summer help it will take approximately 50 years to pay it back, $15/paycheck.
Keep that in mind if you are buying an existing business..
Okay... sometimes I'm really clueless when it comes to the US and I guess this is one of those cases... isn't unemployment an insurance and therefore not collectable?
Premiums in Canada are the same for everyone and every company. And the system is entirely self financed. In fact, it's often been responsible for surpluses. We pay 1.78% of insurable income, if we qualify (I don't, since I'm self-employed). Employers pay 1.4X that amount, so 2.492%. There are no contributions from government at all and the rates don't change from business to business.

Okay... sometimes I'm really clueless when it comes to the US and I guess this is one of those cases... isn't unemployment an insurance and therefore not collectable?
Premiums in Canada are the same for everyone and every company. And the system is entirely self financed. In fact, it's often been responsible for surpluses. We pay 1.78% of insurable income, if we qualify (I don't, since I'm self-employed). Employers pay 1.4X that amount, so 2.492%. There are no contributions from government at all and the rates don't change from business to business.
The unemployment 'insurance' payment is made to the gov't that then disburses the payments as former employees make claims. Although it sounds like it's an 'insurance policy' that anyone could claim on, if you have few employess and a big draw (say you lay off half your employees after they've only worked for a year, and they all file a claim) you end up in the minus as far as the gov't is concerned. You have used more than you put in and you have to pay higher rates until all that money is paid back.
Other people besides AI have mentioned this one before. I don't understand it either but it sounds expensive.
It appears that if you have a lot of employees, you'll probably never end up in the minus and it's not something you need to think about. It's more of a very small business problem.
It's another reason businesses are told to list jobs as 'seasonal' or 'temporary' so the employee knows the job will end and there are no unemployment benefits to be garnered at the end of the employment period.

I had an employee that quit..........year and a half later. I receive notice he is collecting against my account.
I was told that he did not have to come back to work, due to hostile environment........yeah, ok.......I pressed the labor department and a few months later he was removed.
Fired a guy and for 3 winters he was collecting partialy against my account......being that his tenure to be elligable was crossed between me and his new employer........I pressed the labor department and told them he was fired. Lots of paper work only to have the last year, several hundred $ credited to my account.
My people are in fact seasonal. A long season....they all collect unemployment during the winter. I am constantly in the (-) Allways owing the dept of labor.
As the fly by nights and gypsies flourish around me

I had an employee quit because she was preggers. Again. Next thing I get that she is trying to claim unemployment and yes I had like 2 days to respond. Oh and YES I responded. They denied her claim stating "pregnancy is not a valid claim for unemployment."
Since I am closing my very part time employee went to unemployment even before I was shut down and filed for unemployment. Once again I had hardly any time to file IF I had a legitimate defense so in this case she is entitled to what I and she have been paying in all these years. Had she waited until I actually did not need her anymore (I am still taking very few reservations for "special circumstances", she would have been entitled to more ...

The unemployment 'insurance' payment is made to the gov't that then disburses the payments as former employees make claims. Although it sounds like it's an 'insurance policy' that anyone could claim on, if you have few employess and a big draw (say you lay off half your employees after they've only worked for a year, and they all file a claim) you end up in the minus as far as the gov't is concerned. You have used more than you put in and you have to pay higher rates until all that money is paid back.
Other people besides AI have mentioned this one before. I don't understand it either but it sounds expensive.
It appears that if you have a lot of employees, you'll probably never end up in the minus and it's not something you need to think about. It's more of a very small business problem.
It's another reason businesses are told to list jobs as 'seasonal' or 'temporary' so the employee knows the job will end and there are no unemployment benefits to be garnered at the end of the employment period.
Wow, very different from our system. The employer's premiums are fixed based on the insured's salary, nothing more and nothing less. If they claim or don't claim doesn't change the premiums.

many have stated "No time to reply"
Send in the paper work.....even though unemployment may start the process of approving the claim, some instances issuing checks. You can have the claim denied, charges against your account stopped. You can pressure them to credit the charges back to your account......takes time

Back