Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we advertised our housekeeping jobs last year - and it was very clear they were part-time housekeeping - we had hundreds of phone calls and I had my choice of a half dozen well-qualified, reliable candidates. The two that I hired have been great. I would rather employ local folks than students on visas.
Maybe we're lucky, but I have not had the housekeeping horror stories that other innkeepers have had. In my previous life, I specialized in interviewing and recruiting; I have been told I'm better than average at sizing up potential employees..
I wish we had a list to choose from. We generally get 2-3 responses to our ad. Either they don't have transportation or they don't know what 'housekeeping' means. Lots of front desk and flower arranging concierges out there. Not too many toilet scrubbing bed makers, tho.
exactly!

My chamber maid is excellent and Lithuanian but when she wanted to have a particular day off (I forget why) my god mother offered to have one of her girls come and fill in. She was a nightmare did 4 rooms in 5 hours. Note we have 12 rooms and with my help Laima and I can do a full change between 9.30 and 3pm if necessary. Then at 2pm her boyfriend arrived and said she was off with 8 rooms left to go so my mother and I whipped round and finished them all in record time. I have never been so angry!

I recently stayed at a hotel where they had a door hanger (like a "do not disturb") that you put out everyday if you didn't want your sheets changed. Housekeeping would still come in and freshen the room (empty trash & clean the bathroom) & replace towels if needed though. I thought that was a good move.

I recently stayed at a hotel where they had a door hanger (like a "do not disturb") that you put out everyday if you didn't want your sheets changed. Housekeeping would still come in and freshen the room (empty trash & clean the bathroom) & replace towels if needed though. I thought that was a good move..
We don't change sheets or towels unless needed. Towels left on hooks are intended to be reused (except that I always take wet facecloths and replace them. And sheets get changed every third or fourth day unless clearly soiled. Still go from room to room and clear the trash, clean washrooms, sweep rooms, open curtains and tidy up. Heck, I've been known to actually move suitcases and reorder so that it's easier to walk around the room. No matter how little we do, it should normally be evident that we were there and that the room is neat and tidy when they return.
The government specifications around here actually encourage us to do small things to save the enviroment and give extra points in the ratings for it. Like using organic cleaning products and using central distributors for things like soaps and lotions.

I recently stayed at a hotel where they had a door hanger (like a "do not disturb") that you put out everyday if you didn't want your sheets changed. Housekeeping would still come in and freshen the room (empty trash & clean the bathroom) & replace towels if needed though. I thought that was a good move..
We don't change sheets or towels unless needed. Towels left on hooks are intended to be reused (except that I always take wet facecloths and replace them. And sheets get changed every third or fourth day unless clearly soiled. Still go from room to room and clear the trash, clean washrooms, sweep rooms, open curtains and tidy up. Heck, I've been known to actually move suitcases and reorder so that it's easier to walk around the room. No matter how little we do, it should normally be evident that we were there and that the room is neat and tidy when they return.
The government specifications around here actually encourage us to do small things to save the enviroment and give extra points in the ratings for it. Like using organic cleaning products and using central distributors for things like soaps and lotions.
One rule we had: NEVER TOUCH OR MOVE ANYTHING BELONGING TO GUESTS.
I don't care how messy the room is /was. They paid to stay in it and they can live in it just the way they want...barrring destruction that is. If they are messy and we had to walk over suitcases so be it.

I don't care how messy the room is /was. They paid to stay in it and they can live in it just the way they want...barrring destruction that is. If they are messy and we had to walk over suitcases so be it.
I'd love to do that, but then I have a problem with worker's comp. around here. They need to be able to walk around the room safely, it's a legal requirement.

I'd love to do that, but then I have a problem with worker's comp. around here. They need to be able to walk around the room safely, it's a legal requirement.
we have workers comp too in US. If something goes missing and even if it isn't your fault, they can blame you for moving their things. You just never know. I have seen some really messy rooms here...but nothing we couldn't ever work around. If their clothes are laying all over the bed...it didn't get made. Just empty the trash, put in fresh towels and be gone.

One reason going in is good, as GB said "No matter how little we do, it should normally be evident that we were there and that the room is neat and tidy when they return." They need to know we are there, this DOES improve in many instances the tidiness of the room.
Two things imo help with this:
1) living on the premises and being a family owned and operated business, this means making yourself known to them, they will respect "your home" much more and...
2) Going into the room means they can hide what they don't want us to see, and I would guess at least 75% of our guests have a conscience so they tidy up vs tossing stuff around, wet towels on wood furniture etc.
My reasoning for going into the room is 10 times more for maintenance and checking up on things than it is for service.
Turning off EVERY LIGHT and ceiling fan, taking out stinking left overs in the waste baskets, restocking TP, checking the HVAC to optimize it, make sure it is not too hot or too cold, vacuum if they have tracked in debris (which then gets tracked through the whole house), sometimes they will pull a bulb out showing it is burned out and needs replacing, making sure the bed is not destroyed and linens stained up, all of this needs to be done before they check out...so on a two night or more stay imperitive to have daily housekeeping (housepeeking). :)

One reason going in is good, as GB said "No matter how little we do, it should normally be evident that we were there and that the room is neat and tidy when they return." They need to know we are there, this DOES improve in many instances the tidiness of the room.
1) living on the premises and being a family owned and operated business, this means making yourself known to them, they will respect "your home" much more and...
2) Going into the room means they can hide what they don't want us to see, and I would guess at least 75% of our guests have a conscience so they tidy up vs tossing stuff around, wet towels on wood furniture etc.
My reasoning for going into the room is 10 times more for maintenance and checking up on things than it is for service.
Turning off EVERY LIGHT and ceiling fan, taking out stinking left overs in the waste baskets, restocking TP, checking the HVAC to optimize it, make sure it is not too hot or too cold, vacuum if they have tracked in debris (which then gets tracked through the whole house), sometimes they will pull a bulb out showing it is burned out and needs replacing, making sure the bed is not destroyed and linens stained up, all of this needs to be done before they check out...so on a two night or more stay imperitive to have daily housekeeping (housepeeking). :).
Joey Bloggs said:
housekeeping (housepeeking). :)
What an excellent Spoonerism!
And I agree. We do need to do an inspection of the property to be sure it isn't being destroyed. More by thoughtlessness than anything. But, it's easier to get wine and grease out of the carpet on day one than on day four.
You know we get slobs. The bedmakers all stay with you, they rarely come here.

Turning off EVERY LIGHT and ceiling fan, taking out stinking left overs in the waste baskets, restocking TP, checking the HVAC to optimize it, make sure it is not too hot or too cold, vacuum if they have tracked in debris (which then gets tracked through the whole house), sometimes they will pull a bulb out showing it is burned out and needs replacing, making sure the bed is not destroyed and linens stained up, all of this needs to be done before they check out...so on a two night or more stay imperitive to have daily housekeeping (housepeeking). :).
Joey Bloggs said:
And I agree. We do need to do an inspection of the property to be sure it isn't being destroyed. More by thoughtlessness than anything. But, it's easier to get wine and grease out of the carpet on day one than on day four.
OK - severely off topic but ....
Ah - Spoonerisms. As a kid I was obsessed with them. I wrote a whole novel when I was ten dedicated to The Reverend Spooner. It was awful but I had so much fun. There are some spoonerisms that I use now without even realizing it ..... and when you add that to the Cockney Rhyming slang I sometimes use sub-consciously it can all add up to one very confused husband. Luckily he learns fast.

Joey Bloggs said:
Ah - Spoonerisms. As a kid I was obsessed with them. I wrote a whole novel when I was ten dedicated to The Reverend Spooner. It was awful but I had so much fun. There are some spoonerisms that I use now without even realizing it ..... and when you add that to the Cockney Rhyming slang I sometimes use sub-consciously it can all add up to one very confused husband. Luckily he learns fast.
Cockney rhyming slang defeats me. Whenever my 'word of the day' says that a word may be derived from CRS I am at a loss how this new word came from that old word!

we have workers comp too in US. If something goes missing and even if it isn't your fault, they can blame you for moving their things. You just never know. I have seen some really messy rooms here...but nothing we couldn't ever work around. If their clothes are laying all over the bed...it didn't get made. Just empty the trash, put in fresh towels and be gone.
We are a lot more regulated in Quebec. For example, if I have workmen in the house, all the lights have to be on. I have lights on motion detectors... they have to be forced on when there are workmen in the house. Different countries, different attitudes... and Quebec is the most regulated place in North America.

Joey Bloggs said:
Cockney rhyming slang defeats me. Whenever my 'word of the day' says that a word may be derived from CRS I am at a loss how this new word came from that old word!
But it's meant to defeat you. One of the classics is "I'll take a butchers". Meaning "I'll take a look". With CRS you take the bit that makes sense and drop it.
Look = Butcher's Hook (the rhyming part) but to make it "right" you drop the bit that rhymes and leave the other part. Some are more apt than others ie calling the wife - The Trouble. (Trouble and Strife = Wife)

Joey Bloggs said:
But it's meant to defeat you. One of the classics is "I'll take a butchers". Meaning "I'll take a look". With CRS you take the bit that makes sense and drop it.
Look = Butcher's Hook (the rhyming part) but to make it "right" you drop the bit that rhymes and leave the other part. Some are more apt than others ie calling the wife - The Trouble. (Trouble and Strife = Wife)
Well, didn't THAT make it so much easier! Problem is, you still have to figure out what got dropped to know what you're trying to rhyme unless you get it in context. 'I'll take a Butcher's,' works in context if you were already talking about looking at something. It could easily be, 'I'll take a fry.' (fry cook)

Joey Bloggs said:
Well, didn't THAT make it so much easier! Problem is, you still have to figure out what got dropped to know what you're trying to rhyme unless you get it in context. 'I'll take a Butcher's,' works in context if you were already talking about looking at something. It could easily be, 'I'll take a fry.' (fry cook)
Like I said - it's not meant to easy or obvious.
blowing a "raspberry" is from raspberry tart / fart
"see you later alligator" is based on CRS.
"use your loaf" = use your loaf of bread / head
"scarpa" = RUN !!!! From scarpa flow / go
"stick it up your Kyber" - from Kyber pass / ******
Back home, women have Big Bristols ..... from Bristol City / ***** (you can figure it out)
Ever heard the expression on a PBS show "my old China". It means your significant other. China plate / Mate
"I haven't heard from you in donkeys". Donkey's ears / years
"Rabbit on" (ie talk and talk and talk) . Rabbit and pork / talk
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
Back home, women have Big Bristols ..... from Bristol City / ***** (you can figure it out)
Ever heard the expression on a PBS show "my old China". It means your significant other. China plate / Mate
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!
And let's not forget the old "Yank Tank" which refers to Americans big vehicles. Tank is from the name Septic, which is another derog name for Americans. Yank of course is any American, it is not northern or southern.

Joey Bloggs said:
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!
Love it!!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!
I was thinking about this as I was tootling along today, totally lost. 'Dekko' came to mind. Not sure how it came about but all I could figure was it ultimately came from reconnaissance which got shortened to recce and then ended up being dekko.
And even tho I had no idea where it came from, I've always understood 'scarper' when I've read it. I even use it.

Joey Bloggs said:
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!
I was thinking about this as I was tootling along today, totally lost. 'Dekko' came to mind. Not sure how it came about but all I could figure was it ultimately came from reconnaissance which got shortened to recce and then ended up being dekko.
And even tho I had no idea where it came from, I've always understood 'scarper' when I've read it. I even use it.
dekko
(informal) a look, reconnoître "I'll take a dekko at it later." – British military slang derived from the Hindustani dhek/dekho meaning "to see".

Joey Bloggs said:
OK - ENOUGH !!!!!
dekko
(informal) a look, reconnoître "I'll take a dekko at it later." – British military slang derived from the Hindustani dhek/dekho meaning "to see".
Reconnoitre. Yes, that's the word I wanted. Amazing how words travel.

Back