Mandatory tipping?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking for an all-inclusive vacation I know of 3 good ones I've been to. The service and food are like being on a cruise ship, but your at the beach relaxing. The 3 places we've been that I would recommend are in Jamaica, Dominican Republic and south of Cancun. They are adults only and not party places. Let me know if you want any more info..
We went to Jamaica (Sandals) 9 years ago and thought we were the oldest people there. It would be worse now! :)

If you're looking for an all-inclusive vacation I know of 3 good ones I've been to. The service and food are like being on a cruise ship, but your at the beach relaxing. The 3 places we've been that I would recommend are in Jamaica, Dominican Republic and south of Cancun. They are adults only and not party places. Let me know if you want any more info..
We went to Jamaica (Sandals) 9 years ago and thought we were the oldest people there. It would be worse now! :)
Alibi Ike said:
That would be brutal! I never want to go someplace where I'm the oldest/fattest/sluggish! Our experience at the properties we've chosen is that there's a really good mix of young and old. They're mostly not very young because we don't pick party places. I read the TA reviews and look for the ones that say if you're looking for a party atmosphere, don't stay here! LOL

Check to make sure what they will charge if gas goes over a certain amount.

Alibi Ike said:
That would be brutal! I never want to go someplace where I'm the oldest/fattest/sluggish! Our experience at the properties we've chosen is that there's a really good mix of young and old. They're mostly not very young because we don't pick party places. I read the TA reviews and look for the ones that say if you're looking for a party atmosphere, don't stay here! LOL
Breakfast Diva said:
That would be brutal! I never want to go someplace where I'm the oldest/fattest/sluggish!
Well, let me know where you're going and I'll go, too. Then, at least, there will be me who is older, fatter & sluggish! :)

Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That would be brutal! I never want to go someplace where I'm the oldest/fattest/sluggish!
Well, let me know where you're going and I'll go, too. Then, at least, there will be me who is older, fatter & sluggish! :)
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
It's a deal! Of course we have no idea how old, fat or sluggish each other is, but you can have the honor anyway!
poke.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
It's a deal! Of course we have no idea how old, fat or sluggish each other is, but you can have the honor anyway!
poke.gif

True. I just FEEL like I'm older, fatter & sluggish!

With most cruise ships, they are now automatically putting the per day tip on your card at boarding time. The only way to adjust this is to go to the purser's deck to have it removed, and you'll feel like a heel doing it.
Generally speaking, $11.50 a day is a bargain when you consider the kind of service you're getting. We often leave an extra tip in our room for the cabin steward if he/she has done a good job. These people wait on you hand and foot and they get very little salary or days off.
When you're onboard, you will not be able to use money. EVERYTHING will be added to your onboard account/credit card. The bars will automatically add a tip to each drink. Careful of your bar tab. It adds up quickly! Salon & spa services are not included in the $11.50 day tip.
Also, carefully read about what some cruise lines are doing now with "freestyle" or upgraded restaurants. Those restaurants are not included with your cruise fare. You must pay extra for them and an additional tip for the waitstaff. I hate those type of cruise ships. I'm so used to the all inclusive nature of the cruises in the past. Now those were great deals!
Where are you thinking of going??.
It's $23/day as there are 2 of us going. I was just wondering as we've never been on a cruise.
OK, this is going to sound hokey but we're looking at the TCM cruise. (Classic movies) It looked like fun. And there are a lot of classic movies filmed 'on' boats.
http://www.tcmcruise.com/
Looked at the prices, tho, and it seems a bit high for 2 of us for 4 days as we also have to get to FL. So, I might look at a different cruise instead.
Read through all the other comments - we didn't feel that the tips were out of line on either of the cruises that we've been on in the last several years. And, we didn't pay out our tips until the end of our cruise. I believe that you can handle them different ways with the ship's purser on most cruise lines, if you so choose. We had EXCELLENT service in all areas, and as someone said, the crew generally makes their money in tips.
We personally like the Disney Cruise Line because you are not bombarded with gambling on board the ships. It's just not there. There are movies, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, pools, fitness areas, spa services, recreation areas, live stage shows, other activities, and great dining. We were rarely in our stateroom or just sitting in a deck chair. The cruise we're taking this Summer is also different because we'll be in the Med with quite a few ports of call. There were many options offered for shore excursions (and yes, they aren't included in the cost of the cruise) - from sit on your behinds and ride around on a bus and just looking at stuff to cooking classes, private car tours, train or boat excursions, and very active excursions (4x4 trips for example). They also offer excursions that don't include kids.
We did find that there were several areas where soft drinks and the like were complimentary on board, but you had to pay for them in the cocktail lounges. C'est la vie....
There are so many options out there for cruising, you just have to figure out what you want to do when you cruise! Many of the lines that cruise to the Bahamas now have a private island that you visit. (Love Castaway Cay with Disney.) I personally don't want to just float around on a boat. lol! There are deals out there, we found one! Good luck.

With most cruise ships, they are now automatically putting the per day tip on your card at boarding time. The only way to adjust this is to go to the purser's deck to have it removed, and you'll feel like a heel doing it.
Generally speaking, $11.50 a day is a bargain when you consider the kind of service you're getting. We often leave an extra tip in our room for the cabin steward if he/she has done a good job. These people wait on you hand and foot and they get very little salary or days off.
When you're onboard, you will not be able to use money. EVERYTHING will be added to your onboard account/credit card. The bars will automatically add a tip to each drink. Careful of your bar tab. It adds up quickly! Salon & spa services are not included in the $11.50 day tip.
Also, carefully read about what some cruise lines are doing now with "freestyle" or upgraded restaurants. Those restaurants are not included with your cruise fare. You must pay extra for them and an additional tip for the waitstaff. I hate those type of cruise ships. I'm so used to the all inclusive nature of the cruises in the past. Now those were great deals!
It's $23/day as there are 2 of us going. I was just wondering as we've never been on a cruise.
OK, this is going to sound hokey but we're looking at the TCM cruise. (Classic movies) It looked like fun. And there are a lot of classic movies filmed 'on' boats.
Looked at the prices, tho, and it seems a bit high for 2 of us for 4 days as we also have to get to FL. So, I might look at a different cruise instead.
Read through all the other comments - we didn't feel that the tips were out of line on either of the cruises that we've been on in the last several years. And, we didn't pay out our tips until the end of our cruise. I believe that you can handle them different ways with the ship's purser on most cruise lines, if you so choose. We had EXCELLENT service in all areas, and as someone said, the crew generally makes their money in tips.
We personally like the Disney Cruise Line because you are not bombarded with gambling on board the ships. It's just not there. There are movies, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, pools, fitness areas, spa services, recreation areas, live stage shows, other activities, and great dining. We were rarely in our stateroom or just sitting in a deck chair. The cruise we're taking this Summer is also different because we'll be in the Med with quite a few ports of call. There were many options offered for shore excursions (and yes, they aren't included in the cost of the cruise) - from sit on your behinds and ride around on a bus and just looking at stuff to cooking classes, private car tours, train or boat excursions, and very active excursions (4x4 trips for example). They also offer excursions that don't include kids.
We did find that there were several areas where soft drinks and the like were complimentary on board, but you had to pay for them in the cocktail lounges. C'est la vie....
There are so many options out there for cruising, you just have to figure out what you want to do when you cruise! Many of the lines that cruise to the Bahamas now have a private island that you visit. (Love Castaway Cay with Disney.) I personally don't want to just float around on a boat. lol! There are deals out there, we found one! Good luck.
But what about all the kids on Disney cruises??? I couldn't stand having screaming kids running all around me on the ship.

But what about all the kids on Disney cruises??? I couldn't stand having screaming kids running all around me on the ship.
.We have not encountered screaming kids at all...including when we sailed with our own kid. You can request to be seated in the dining rooms at a table without children as well, if that's your choice. There are adult only areas on all of their ships. Yes, it's a family friendly environment but I think it's a leap to assume that there will be screaming kids running all around. I would imagine that there are families who also sail on other cruise lines.
regular_smile.gif

.We have not encountered screaming kids at all...including when we sailed with our own kid. You can request to be seated in the dining rooms at a table without children as well, if that's your choice. There are adult only areas on all of their ships. Yes, it's a family friendly environment but I think it's a leap to assume that there will be screaming kids running all around. I would imagine that there are families who also sail on other cruise lines.
regular_smile.gif

Yes I agree families sail on other cruise lines as well. But Disney evokes Families with kids and all the hoopla associated with Disney. I was watching TV show the other day which showed them on the newest Disney ship and everywhere you looked there were tons of kids running around. I know they have distinct areas for adults and kids, but outside on the deck it looked like wall to wall kids around the pools.
Disney is just not my thing any longer. If you like it, then go for it:)

regular_smile.gif

Yes I agree families sail on other cruise lines as well. But Disney evokes Families with kids and all the hoopla associated with Disney. I was watching TV show the other day which showed them on the newest Disney ship and everywhere you looked there were tons of kids running around. I know they have distinct areas for adults and kids, but outside on the deck it looked like wall to wall kids around the pools.
We do... and we are! We like FUN! The resorts are so much more than the theme parks, too. There's fun for all ages. We golf, go horseback riding, ride bikes, rent boats, or just relax. As far as their cruises, I guess I'd rather have kids having fun around me, than a bunch of people that go for the on board gambling and boo-fays. Looking forward to the day when we can actually take our grandkids.
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

We do... and we are! We like FUN! The resorts are so much more than the theme parks, too. There's fun for all ages. We golf, go horseback riding, ride bikes, rent boats, or just relax. As far as their cruises, I guess I'd rather have kids having fun around me, than a bunch of people that go for the on board gambling and boo-fays. Looking forward to the day when we can actually take our grandkids.
regular_smile.gif

I guess not having kids puts us into a different mind set. We don't golf, boat, gamble or party....so...guess we are just getting to be "old folks" :-(

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

I guess not having kids puts us into a different mind set. We don't golf, boat, gamble or party....so...guess we are just getting to be "old folks" :-(
catlady said:
No, I have 3 kids and I don't golf, boat, gamble or party. Nothing to do with having/not having kids! Or, maybe we're just old folks, too!

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

You just have other interests & that's OK, too! Just trying to show you that folks often have a preconceived notion about various types of vacations. Kinda like B&Bs, right?
regular_smile.gif

We don't gamble either...have no desire to ever go to Vegas. Went to Lake Tahoe to ski and see what it was about when we lived in CA and that was plenty for us.

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

catlady said:
No, I have 3 kids and I don't golf, boat, gamble or party. Nothing to do with having/not having kids! Or, maybe we're just old folks, too!
I've been old since I was born! Can't stand to be around kids/families while on vacation, do not gamble, party, golf...we just like to EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY!!!
We had a woman who was a singer on the Disney Cruise line for a while here, she said they do have plenty of "non-kid" spaces on the ships. But it's still all the Disney characters everywhere you go...not into that at all.

In Paris there is a 5% add-on for the government at every restaurant - that is not the tip!

Back