Mangle Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am thinking of bidding on a mangle that is on embay and has no others interestsed (others run from $160 to $350 - and one is being offered at $250 and won't even guarantee the thing will run!!!??)
They say that it is in working order, sometimes when it's started you need to give it a push as it sticks. The seller says it is just in need of a good cleaning and oiling.
Does anyone out there using a mangle have this problem in operating? They are all made in the 40s so I know most people have two - one for operation and one for parts!
Thanks!!!
Riki

I know it's going to be asked, so I will take the pressure off the others: "what is a mangle"?

I know it's going to be asked, so I will take the pressure off the others: "what is a mangle"?.
It is a pressing machine that you can run sheets and pillowcases through while sitting down. The last made in the US are usually by a company called Ironrite and they still work fine. The only alternative is the modern one made by Meile that costs about $2000.
You can see it at Ebay if you google it.
The one I'm looking at is made by Simplex, though, not Ironrite.
Riki

I know it's going to be asked, so I will take the pressure off the others: "what is a mangle"?.
It is a pressing machine that you can run sheets and pillowcases through while sitting down. The last made in the US are usually by a company called Ironrite and they still work fine. The only alternative is the modern one made by Meile that costs about $2000.
Riki
I just sent you an email, but we have three or four in the basement and we can sell or trade you one. Check your email and give me a call.

Riki
Muirford has mangles at her place maybe she will chime in. I thought she had one she was willing to give to someone if they came and got in. She's not that far a drive for you.
Is this one of those big old heavy ones??? If So how are you going to get it???? They weigh a ton!!! YOu don't want to pay shipping do you???

Riki
Muirford has mangles at her place maybe she will chime in. I thought she had one she was willing to give to someone if they came and got in. She's not that far a drive for you.
Is this one of those big old heavy ones??? If So how are you going to get it???? They weigh a ton!!! YOu don't want to pay shipping do you???
I had emailed Muirford and we're all set to go out there for one! Yipee. What we will do is remove the seats from one of our vans and lay it down on blankets, or just rent a truck. I think the seats come out of the Kia Sedona and that's pretty much a van on a truck frame.
That's the thing - any of the mangles for sale on ebay are you come and pick up. This one was in PA.
Riki

Riki
I had emailed Muirford and we're all set to go out there for one! Yipee. What we will do is remove the seats from one of our vans and lay it down on blankets, or just rent a truck. I think the seats come out of the Kia Sedona and that's pretty much a van on a truck frame.
That's the thing - any of the mangles for sale on ebay are you come and pick up. This one was in PA.
Riki
You have to stand them up during transport; otherwise the oil seeps out and it's not pretty. We transported one down to Waynesville, NC in our pickup truck without any problems. Nobody ships a mangle!!

Who irons sheets anymore?.
We do. I have a laundry service now for the sheets, but I used the mangle before that for the sheets. I also use the mangle for tablecloths and napkins. I always thought that would be the first thing we stopped doing when we bought the inn but it turns out that I like to have the sheets ironed and more than one guest has commented on it.
Now I have a sample of the Comphy sheets which seem to look pretty good out of the dryer. If I were to switch to those, I could stop sending the sheets out (maybe) and just iron the pillowcases. I like the pillowcases to look crisp!

I'm with you Sweetie Pie! I read recently that a standard iron uses as much energy as if you left 18- 100watt bulbs turned for the duration you use the iron (think of all those hours!). I think we touched on this topic before...energy/resources saved by not ironing... especially in mental health expenses! HA!

I'm with you Sweetie Pie! I read recently that a standard iron uses as much energy as if you left 18- 100watt bulbs turned for the duration you use the iron (think of all those hours!). I think we touched on this topic before...energy/resources saved by not ironing... especially in mental health expenses! HA!
That's one thing no one has complained about, at least not so far.

SweetiePie said:
I really don't think you would get complaints (unless they were really bad) but having ironed sheets do add a nice touch.
We do not iron the entire sheets only the top portion of the top sheet and the pillow cases. If I were to tripple sheet, I would iron the entire top sheet. We only have 2 sets of sheets I iron fully - of course they are my last resort sheets - they come out of the dryer all wadded up - they were sold "wrinkle resistant" - I should have returned them...

Willowpondgj said:
I did not know that. Holy cow. At this point I am only ironing the pillowcases for my new king sheet set and my new linen shirts. Big mistake, linen, but I love them. When we first started, tho, I spent the entire summer ironing. I was ironing at midnight when hubs was sleeping. It was awful. I got new sheets the following year even tho those cotton sheets were brand new. My sanity was more important than the money.

we don't iron our sheets but we do steam them. quicker and no wrinkles. i know people will sleep just as well in a bed with wrinkled sheets but we just feel better about the way they look after they have been steamed. it only adds about 5 minutes to the whole bed making process, so all in all not really a big inconvenience.

I iron my sheets all the time. Even if I take them out of the dryer right away they are still too wrinkled for me. I usually do it when I'm watching TV so it's not too bad but after ironing 3 sets I'm usually spent. I would love to know more about the steam method. Do you steam them on the bed?

I iron all the napkins, pillow cases and sheets. I talked about this in a thread months ago. It takes me about 5 minutes per room to iron the king sized sheet. I iron them on the bed as I make the bed. I would love to try a mangle if I had access to one.

I iron all the napkins, pillow cases and sheets. I talked about this in a thread months ago. It takes me about 5 minutes per room to iron the king sized sheet. I iron them on the bed as I make the bed. I would love to try a mangle if I had access to one..
We use a mangle and have a small collection of old Ironrites, some for parts. My DH has taught himself to repair them after we found a manual online. We have found them at auctions and on Ebay and have never paid more than $50 for one, but that was maybe five years ago. I see now they go for as much as $250. You need to find one nearby because they are heavy and have to be kept upright in transporting. Miele makes a new one that goes for around $200-$2500.
Oceans, I don't know where you are but you can keep an eye on local auction houses - sometimes when they're clearing out a house they'll have a mangle. Otherwise, ebay is your best bet. There used to be an ironrite website with classifieds but it is gone - this one has some information.
It really does make the ironing go faster, and is more energy effecient (electrically and innkeeper-wise). Even if I didn't send my sheets out, I would iron the pillowcases for sure and possibly the top sheet. I think guests might think they're used if they're wrinkly.

Back