Mangle Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I iron all the napkins, pillow cases and sheets. I talked about this in a thread months ago. It takes me about 5 minutes per room to iron the king sized sheet. I iron them on the bed as I make the bed. I would love to try a mangle if I had access to one..
We use a mangle and have a small collection of old Ironrites, some for parts. My DH has taught himself to repair them after we found a manual online. We have found them at auctions and on Ebay and have never paid more than $50 for one, but that was maybe five years ago. I see now they go for as much as $250. You need to find one nearby because they are heavy and have to be kept upright in transporting. Miele makes a new one that goes for around $200-$2500.
Oceans, I don't know where you are but you can keep an eye on local auction houses - sometimes when they're clearing out a house they'll have a mangle. Otherwise, ebay is your best bet. There used to be an ironrite website with classifieds but it is gone - this one has some information.
It really does make the ironing go faster, and is more energy effecient (electrically and innkeeper-wise). Even if I didn't send my sheets out, I would iron the pillowcases for sure and possibly the top sheet. I think guests might think they're used if they're wrinkly.
Yes the inns here use the Meile but I don't have the $2000 for it right now. An ironrite would be the ticket for me! Chris is also finishing my laundry room in the basement of the new main building so we can move the laundry room there and I'm having him build me a big island that I'm going to pad to use for ironing and folding sheets. And besides shelves I'm having him put in a large closet rod so I can hang sheets and tablecloths instead of folding.
Riki

Downy Wrinkle Release! It has saved my life...even on linen! Spray, smooth and you're good to go.
I fold our linens right out of the dryer so usually have no problem with wrinkles. I don't think I've ever noticed ironed sheets/pillow cases anywhere I've stayed...maybe if they were really bad it would make an impression. As the oldest of four kids who went to parochial school, ironing was my chore every week...oh, those stupid Peter Pan collars and million-fold pleated skirts...I still have nightmares! I iron NOTHING now.

Usually DW only has to iron napkins or an occasional pillowcase. We found some really good high threadcount sheets at Target that seem to be wrinkle proof IF we line dry them. Put them in the dryer and yech! Besides, nothing smells better than line dried.

Usually DW only has to iron napkins or an occasional pillowcase. We found some really good high threadcount sheets at Target that seem to be wrinkle proof IF we line dry them. Put them in the dryer and yech! Besides, nothing smells better than line dried..
Proud Texan said:
Besides, nothing smells better than line dried.
I couldn't agree more
cheers.gif

I use a ironing press which can press through 4 layers of material. I fold my napkins then press before storing. As stated before I usually only press tops of top sheets and pillowcases, but you can fold your flat sheets to press quickly as well, fitted sheets can be pressed too, just a little more work.
Mine is by Elna Press, model Alize. I like that it is protable, fast to get hot, (not as quick to cool) my arm does not get tired as with a regular iron. The iron part of the press comes down and 'locks' with pressure while it irons, and beeps after x seconds so not to scorch the fabric. My model # does not have steam spray attachement but came with a sprayer for steaming.
From the looks of things (comparing with a roller press), if space is an issue for anyone like it is for me, this is a good option.

Usually DW only has to iron napkins or an occasional pillowcase. We found some really good high threadcount sheets at Target that seem to be wrinkle proof IF we line dry them. Put them in the dryer and yech! Besides, nothing smells better than line dried..
Proud Texan said:
I couldn't agree more
cheers.gif

Proud Texan said:
I'd like to be able to do that - too many sheets, not enough yard, too many trees, too much traffic, and not enough control over the weather!!
confused_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
I couldn't agree more
cheers.gif

Proud Texan said:
I'd like to be able to do that - too many sheets, not enough yard, too many trees, too much traffic, and not enough control over the weather!!
confused_smile.gif

Yeah, with all the traffic going past your backyard, I can just imagine the aroma the diesel fuel would give to your sheets:-(

I do not like chemicals on linens, esp when someone will be laying on them wiht bare skin. I press ours as well, not the bottom fitted as it stretches out any wrinkles. pillowcases need to be ironed here. crisp and smooth. I have a relative who stayed at a BnB for their anniversary, I purchased a Gift cert for them and she slept in a chair and took antihistamine as the chemicals in the bed were so harsh, she is not a super sensitive person either. I asked her when she reported back on the miserable stay if she mentioned it to the hosts? No.

Proud Texan said:
I couldn't agree more
cheers.gif

Proud Texan said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
confused_smile.gif
Some places it is against the town rules to hang laundry out to dry. I know it is here in this historic district. When I lived down under that was the only way you dried clothes and ironing levi's and sheets sets sucked! I hated it. Hard crunchy towels, sheets and clothes. You HAD to iron them to soften them up.

Proud Texan said:
I couldn't agree more
cheers.gif

Proud Texan said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
confused_smile.gif
Not enough control over the birds or the bugs, either!
We didn't have a dryer when I was a teenager so all the clothes went on the line. I grabbed my swimsuit off the line, put it on and headed for a friend's house. Quite embarrassingly, I started to get very itchy. When I got to her house, I ran into the bathroom and pulled the suit off and there in the crotch of the suit were a bunch of little caterpillars. I never saw them in my rush to get to the pool, but what an itchy rash they caused.

I do not like chemicals on linens, esp when someone will be laying on them wiht bare skin. I press ours as well, not the bottom fitted as it stretches out any wrinkles. pillowcases need to be ironed here. crisp and smooth. I have a relative who stayed at a BnB for their anniversary, I purchased a Gift cert for them and she slept in a chair and took antihistamine as the chemicals in the bed were so harsh, she is not a super sensitive person either. I asked her when she reported back on the miserable stay if she mentioned it to the hosts? No..
We just had a guest with very sensitive skin and she never mentioned to us that she breaks out if she comes in contact with bleach. Hello people. For all the lame stuff we hear guests complain about, this is a big one she should have mentioned before arrival.

Back