Map on your website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to Surfside for having a map on their website, when I clicked and thought "Gee this looks like a neat place! I wonder where it is?" I then clicked on the location page and voila I found out. GOOD ON YA SURFSIDE! You never know who will come across your site from wherever else online and be interested. It's a lovely location.

You can set up a Google Map within an <iframe> on your website if you know how to code. We have one on our directions page. What we like is that most of the GPS mapping services, especially for the iPhone, have us in the proper location with a little bed icon.
We haven't had anyone get lost in ages.

I recently discovered a new "trick". I was trying to create Google maps from my guesthouse to different attractions around our area, but for several of them, when I entered the attraction's correct street address, Google created a map to a location several blocks from the correct destination, and for a couple of them it was even mapping to the wrong town, one even went to the wrong state!
So I loaded Google Earth. I learned years ago that when you're in Google Earth, as you move the mouse around the screen it displays the current cursor position's GPS coordinates at the bottom of the screen. So on the places that the address wasn't working right, I found the attraction "from the air" on Google Earth and noted its GPS coordinates.
Then I went back to Google Maps and had it create maps from my guesthouse address to the GPS coordinates of the destination. It works perfectly, generating maps to exactly where I want the map to take them.
It also works in my car's GPS. If I need to go to a place and don't know the street address of the destination, I get the coordinates from Google Earth, enter them into the GPS and it takes me right where I want to go with no street address needed!

I recently discovered a new "trick". I was trying to create Google maps from my guesthouse to different attractions around our area, but for several of them, when I entered the attraction's correct street address, Google created a map to a location several blocks from the correct destination, and for a couple of them it was even mapping to the wrong town, one even went to the wrong state!
So I loaded Google Earth. I learned years ago that when you're in Google Earth, as you move the mouse around the screen it displays the current cursor position's GPS coordinates at the bottom of the screen. So on the places that the address wasn't working right, I found the attraction "from the air" on Google Earth and noted its GPS coordinates.
Then I went back to Google Maps and had it create maps from my guesthouse address to the GPS coordinates of the destination. It works perfectly, generating maps to exactly where I want the map to take them.
It also works in my car's GPS. If I need to go to a place and don't know the street address of the destination, I get the coordinates from Google Earth, enter them into the GPS and it takes me right where I want to go with no street address needed!.
Arkansawyer said:
It also works in my car's GPS. If I need to go to a place and don't know the street address of the destination, I get the coordinates from Google Earth, enter them into the GPS and it takes me right where I want to go with no street address needed!
We did something similar, but actually drove the routes and tweaked Google's directions. I have them stored as a .PDF on my hard drive and print them off on request.

You have to watch google maps discovered a few blips this week
1- 1 bb neighbour has become 2 properties on different sides of the street
2- 1 bb neighbour has moved accross the street
3- 1 bb neighbour has disappeared

Hi Joey!
Google Maps is so important for Inn Keepers and tourism operators. The first thing to do is obviously check that your location in Google Maps is appropriate otherwise you need to change it by first verifying your listing. You need to do so in your Google Places for Business account (which is now integrated to Google Plus)
One way to do it is inserting the Google Maps in an iFrame but the other way to do is if you use a good content management system such as WordPress for instance. WordPress offers plugins that allow you to display the Moogle Maps.
Another thing that works really well that we have been training Inn Keepers and small tourism businesses to do over the past five years now, is to actually create a printout of the best itinerary and Google Maps allows you to do this when you click on Get Directions and then the print icon on the top left of the screen. This generates a document what comes in as a PDF and the link makes that document downloadable from your website. So if people are on their way to your place or they are planning a trip, instead of just looking at the map, they can actually download and print that document. You never know if there is no coverage or network on when they are on their way to you and you can actually also select the best itinerary for them and don’t forget to add the GPS coordinates as well.
I think with all that, it was my 2 cents about Google Maps and Google Places.
Fabie

Back