Mapping Program

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I am putting together a RIDE and along with the bulleted list and directions want to add a very simple map.
Does anyone know where to get a free mapping prgm that will allow just bits and pieces of info? Not a full blown map, just a drawing of a map? I mean, I can make a google map and use that which I will probably do if I can't find one I can use as a GIF or PDF, but I wanted it to be simpler.
Any ideas?

I think our son used one of his drawing programs to do a couple of maps for me. Have you tried Google Sketchup?
I have no clue how to do this kind of stuff....

Nowadays, nearly everyone has a GPS. We also do day trip itineraries. I give detailed instructions that DW and I have mapped out ourself (online mapping services don't alway's know the best route) and with that I provide the GPS coordinates. I usually don't provide a map, but when I do I'll get one from Google maps then simplify it in Photoshop.
I have map and instructions on the computer and can print them as needed.

So you are saying map it out, then photoshop out the stuff that wastes space? That was my next try without getting too technical. I think I can almost draw it out easier for what I am after. But dang it, I am a techno-person, so don't want to!!!
It is a motorcycle ride, so I ONLY need to the route they will ride, a loop, to be specific. So a scenic byway, a mountain side-winder and a country road that passes a lake. I wanted to add in a couple stops for meals/restrooms/leg stretching or look outs.
I don't want gps coords, It will just be a little GIF of the overview of the map. Next to it I will have in the text the witty remarks and the go 3.5 miles here and then follow this... It needs to be as simple as possible.

So you are saying map it out, then photoshop out the stuff that wastes space? That was my next try without getting too technical. I think I can almost draw it out easier for what I am after. But dang it, I am a techno-person, so don't want to!!!
It is a motorcycle ride, so I ONLY need to the route they will ride, a loop, to be specific. So a scenic byway, a mountain side-winder and a country road that passes a lake. I wanted to add in a couple stops for meals/restrooms/leg stretching or look outs.
I don't want gps coords, It will just be a little GIF of the overview of the map. Next to it I will have in the text the witty remarks and the go 3.5 miles here and then follow this... It needs to be as simple as possible..
I didn't want to get REALLY technical, but I've also used Adobe Illustrator and traced over a Google map on a separate layer. That way you can go as simple or as complicated as you want. I will add that before "retirement" (If you can call running a B&B retirement) I was a graphic artist for over 30 years, so some of this stuff is not that easy for the novice.

I don't want gps coords, It will just be a little GIF of the overview of the map. Next to it I will have in the text the witty remarks and the go 3.5 miles here and then follow this... It needs to be as simple as possible..
I did mine as a table in WORD.
# miles, Turn onto Rt/street/road, Landmark at turn to verify you is where you thinks you is!
I can take these basic routings and delete/add whatever to them. The miles are there up to the point of deviation and then it is just turn direction - turn left, turn right, go straight, right fork or left fork - to tailor it to the specific interests of the guests. I do this for car trips or motorcycle day tirps or inn-to-inn.
I include FYI - on the left is the Anna Jarvis House, the birthplace of Mother's Day or on the left is the entrance to Snowshoe Mountain type comments.

Nope, I am not doing landmarks, I am not doing directions to the inn, I am mapping out a motorcycle loop. I only want POINT A, POINT B and POINT C. (These are the roads and then the stops with distances).
I got the basics in google maps and then edited in corel paint shop and have the verbiage in place now. I will blog this shortly and post on the website.

It's done, not as perfect as I would like it, but wasted enough time on it already! Have a look when you can at the blog. Click map for larger view.

looks good to me! know what i'd do? i'd add a few enlargeable thumbnail photos (maybe 3) so folks could get a glimpse of the gorgeous scenery you mention.
just an idea.

It's done, not as perfect as I would like it, but wasted enough time on it already! Have a look when you can at the blog. Click map for larger view..
Joey Bloggs said:
It's done, not as perfect as I would like it, but wasted enough time on it already! Have a look when you can at the blog. Click map for larger view.
Looks great! Do you have a supply of them printed out as handouts at the inn?

It's done, not as perfect as I would like it, but wasted enough time on it already! Have a look when you can at the blog. Click map for larger view..
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks. The formatting is skewiffed in blogger. I gave up on it.
No. They would have their trip planned before they get here. We love motorcyclists but they are here one day, two at the most and on the road again. This is to draw them in to stay with us. Not far from us is THAT road that draws them in by the thousands, from all walks of life. I had a chap here from NY who writes a motorcycle blog and I am still awaiting his promise of a TA review mentioning their ride. He had a vintage motorcycle.

Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
No. They would have their trip planned before they get here. We love motorcyclists but they are here one day, two at the most and on the road again. This is to draw them in to stay with us. Not far from us is THAT road that draws them in by the thousands, from all walks of life. I had a chap here from NY who writes a motorcycle blog and I am still awaiting his promise of a TA review mentioning their ride. He had a vintage motorcycle.
Joey Bloggs said:
Not far from us is THAT road that draws them in by the thousands, from all walks of life. I had a chap here from NY who writes a motorcycle blog and I am still awaiting his promise of a TA review mentioning their ride. He had a vintage motorcycle.
Why don't you send him a copy of the map and ask for his feedback? That will probably refresh his memory...

Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I did mine as I AM the destination and my day trip is the reason to come here. I understand yours because of all the in-place availables like the BRP and the CRT. Great to point out the where to go..... may it bring many, many bikers.

Nope, I am not doing landmarks, I am not doing directions to the inn, I am mapping out a motorcycle loop. I only want POINT A, POINT B and POINT C. (These are the roads and then the stops with distances).
I got the basics in google maps and then edited in corel paint shop and have the verbiage in place now. I will blog this shortly and post on the website..
By landmarks I meant - there is a convenience store on the NW corner.... - not a real Landmark.

Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Looks good for the idea of the ride! I think my son used Adobe Illustrator when he did some maps for me. Email me off forum if you need something to hand out...he might be able to do it for you. He does those kinds of things in about 10 minutes! :)

Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Looks good for the idea of the ride! I think my son used Adobe Illustrator when he did some maps for me. Email me off forum if you need something to hand out...he might be able to do it for you. He does those kinds of things in about 10 minutes! :)
He did a very nice job on my map!

# miles, Turn onto Rt/street/road, Landmark at turn to verify you is where you thinks you is!
I can take these basic routings and delete/add whatever to them. The miles are there up to the point of deviation and then it is just turn direction - turn left, turn right, go straight, right fork or left fork - to tailor it to the specific interests of the guests. I do this for car trips or motorcycle day tirps or inn-to-inn.
I include FYI - on the left is the Anna Jarvis House, the birthplace of Mother's Day or on the left is the entrance to Snowshoe Mountain type comments.
gillumhouse said:
I do that as well and attach the map.

Back