Marble is HARD!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
This is a chat & laugh. Ouch!
Last night my brother asked me to take a couple small bags of trash up to the garbage chute. So I did.
I always thought it was just my Aunt Irmgard with the shoes off when you came in the house - it is not! It seems that is how it is in Germany. So I am wearing my socks and listening to them laughing in the kitchen as I come down the stairs - marble stairs. I do not know if I missed that last step or slipped with my socks, but next thing I knew, I was on my shoulder on the marble landing. As I went, I was smart enough to hold up my head so it did not connect. I landed on my side and rolled onto my belly. Poor Fred & Brunie thought I fell on my face. Everything moves.
I put Icy Hot on it last night and will get Fred to give me another coating this morning. This trip has been interesting for us. The girls let it out of the bag that John had a "bump in the road" but could not tell me what as he had made them promise not to tell (I had asked how he was doing). Two days later he sent word he had been in the hospital with an infection in his polio foot but all is well now. And I was envisionng REALLY serious stuff! That was almost business as usual for us.
Today we take the train to Nurmburg to a train museum (he decided to skip Hamburg).

Sorry to hear, hope it will be OK today - keep enjoying your vacation! By the way, you may be interested to know that the stairs do comply to german firecode - all stairs to be non flammable and against an outside wall, ending near to direct exit to outside. (I looked to buy in Germany before we started here....)

Marble though? should have some sort of non slip strips or something no?

OUCH. Sorry. Hope you are already feeling better.

Ohhhhhhh....you'll be sore for awhile. Glad you're basically ok though!
So far, what are your overall impression of the places you've seen?!?!?!

Ouch!
cry_smile.gif

So sorry this happened especially while on your dream trip. Keep moving and take hot baths to keep the soreness down.

Update: last nigh I could move everything but it HURT! cold lift my right arm with the help of the left. The Icy Hot did the trick plus I am a toss & turn sleeper so the arm got exercised all night. Today Brunie massaged more Icy Hot on the arm. I can now raise it without help. Moving OK. I now know how to spell NurNberg! No m. Had a lovely day at the train museum and on the trains going/comng. It has been wonderful. Seeing a Lot of stuff. Still a little sore but no biggie. Nothing s going to keep me down on this rip. I even made a trip to the garbage chute (with Fred protesting) and back without the ballet act of last night.

OH no! Glad you're not hurt seriously!.
Me too. I thought I was auditioning for the Flying Wallendas I guess. Bad move They don't want me either.
Glad to hear you are getting better but that staircase is a law suit waiting to happen plus you could have (not that you arn't badly hurt now) but you could have cracked your skull or broken your leg or anything! In this country marble staircases must have non slip sort of strips that stick on to them or kind of stripes into it so you don't slip.

ouch! poor thing! you sure nothing is broken? bruises all over?
glad you are having a great trip in spite of the fall. (pictures, pictures, pictures)

glad you are having a great trip in spite of the fall. (pictures, pictures, pictures).
Far as I can tell, nothing is broken. Less soreness every day and more painless mobility in my arm. Pictures when I get back.

glad you are having a great trip in spite of the fall. (pictures, pictures, pictures).
Far as I can tell, nothing is broken. Less soreness every day and more painless mobility in my arm. Pictures when I get back.
Glad you are getting gradually better I fell like an idiot off a ladder earlier in the year (stepped the wrong way) nearly hit the dressing table on the way down and then the headboard fell on me. And it really knocks you sideways!

Glad you are getting gradually better I fell like an idiot off a ladder earlier in the year (stepped the wrong way) nearly hit the dressing table on the way down and then the headboard fell on me. And it really knocks you sideways!
Plays hell with your dignity also. Off to Calais at 8 AM.

My advice stay on the deck for the ferry! Its only a narrow bit of water but it defeated the Spanish for 600 years! there is a reason for that.

My advice stay on the deck for the ferry! Its only a narrow bit of water but it defeated the Spanish for 600 years! there is a reason for that.
You bet! I know what happens - in SPADES!! I have been on 4 windjammer cruises (2-masted schooner) and a party boat (what they call a boatload of fishermen on the Great Lakes who will throw YOU overboard before they go back to port before the fishing time is up) so I know from experience what happens. I will definitely stay OUT of the head!

Back