March - Yucko!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
When we bought the B&B, my partner said March is the worst month. I was like, "March! Why March?" No one knew, it just is. Well so far that is looking to be true. December also looked brutal early and we did ok but wow, March is living up to its pre billing so far. Add in we just got the huge gas bill from Feb on top of it.
/ whining
:)

Funny, our worst is January. It just dies after new years.

January thru March - high gas & electric bills and few - if any- guests. PLUS that is when the ads are being done for the Season! $$$$$$

Jan/Feb are generally my worst months however after 2 bad years I took in some longer stays (weekly/monthly) ending up with very high occ than even other months in the year for Jan/Feb at much lower rates but you know what? It pays the bills .. ah yes and those heating ones ...it's better than going into the red and then having to play catch up.

It's a very iffy month. Guests don't know what to expect for weather so they just stay home. Example- on Friday it was -3 when I got up, right now it is 45 and raining buckets.

February was my lowest month, Dec was next since last spring. This month is looking good... over 50% so far.

Jan Feb March are usually vile. Almost all the bookings are very last minute. Half my Feb this year tho was superb. I had empty weeks at the start and end of the month but my middle two weeks ended up almost fully booked. Very odd but very relieved.

March is by far my worst month, in every sense of the word. By the time March rolls around I am so ready for spring, but we still have tons of snow on the ground. Not good snow for cross-country skiing but yucky hard, dirty snow. The B&B is dead and I get cabin fever. We usually plan a trip for one week in March but last year we went to Alaska in June instead and this year we're planning a trip later in the year. One good thing though is next Sunday daylight savings starts. The days will start getting longer, and longer.

Well being as we are in the frozen north. We don't thaw until May but still I would like to see a few guests this month just to make it seem like we are open and trying to make money hahaha

Jan Feb March are usually vile. Almost all the bookings are very last minute. Half my Feb this year tho was superb. I had empty weeks at the start and end of the month but my middle two weeks ended up almost fully booked. Very odd but very relieved..
Definitely last-minute-the-weather-looks-good-at-this-moment bookings!

August is my worst month. March is usually great, this year no exception. Already over 60%.

Hang in there! This is when most of us do our renos and all the innside work.
Meanwhile, get some FREE MARKETING, write up some articles on your place on Innteractiveinns.com

I'm sorry this is a bad month for you, maybe the weather will break early and folks will be itching to get away. The creeping gas prices are not helping anyone either.
January/February are definitely our worst, March brings signs of life and then we steamroll into spring. Just keep yourself busy and get done what needs to be done so you'll be ready when the guests start "marching" in.
I have to say I am glad for this slow week, B-I-L is deploying to Afghanistan for a year and with no guests I was able to offer to fly to be with my sister for when he leaves and her long return ride home.

I'm sorry this is a bad month for you, maybe the weather will break early and folks will be itching to get away. The creeping gas prices are not helping anyone either.
January/February are definitely our worst, March brings signs of life and then we steamroll into spring. Just keep yourself busy and get done what needs to be done so you'll be ready when the guests start "marching" in.
I have to say I am glad for this slow week, B-I-L is deploying to Afghanistan for a year and with no guests I was able to offer to fly to be with my sister for when he leaves and her long return ride home..
Don Draper said:
I have to say I am glad for this slow week, B-I-L is deploying to Afghanistan for a year and with no guests I was able to offer to fly to be with my sister for when he leaves and her long return ride home.
Our prayers and fingers crossed that your BIL will return home safe and sound.
RIki

I have to say I am glad for this slow week, B-I-L is deploying to Afghanistan for a year and with no guests I was able to offer to fly to be with my sister for when he leaves and her long return ride home..
Don please tell your Sister "THANK YOU."

March is by far my worst month, in every sense of the word. By the time March rolls around I am so ready for spring, but we still have tons of snow on the ground. Not good snow for cross-country skiing but yucky hard, dirty snow. The B&B is dead and I get cabin fever. We usually plan a trip for one week in March but last year we went to Alaska in June instead and this year we're planning a trip later in the year. One good thing though is next Sunday daylight savings starts. The days will start getting longer, and longer..
Need an innsitter for that vacation
chef.gif
?

Nice you were able to be there for your sister. This will be a long year for her & for him. Please let them know how much we appreciate their service to our country. God bless him and keep him safe.

Thanks all, I will pass on the thanks and good wishes. I thought I understood the true definition of "personal sacrifice" but man...these kids are only 27. This is his third tour in the Middle East. I don't know how they do it.

Thanks all, I will pass on the thanks and good wishes. I thought I understood the true definition of "personal sacrifice" but man...these kids are only 27. This is his third tour in the Middle East. I don't know how they do it..
None of us know how they do it. It's so much different now than it was back in the day when you knew when your service was done it was done.

Hang in there! This is when most of us do our renos and all the innside work.
Meanwhile, get some FREE MARKETING, write up some articles on your place on Innteractiveinns.com.
Our thoughts are with them. I have two boys and i cannot even imagine it.
Side note: Will do Joey and thanks for the heads up on it. :)

Back