Marketing budget

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked out the GB site, looks like some nice items. I'm assuming since so many have recommend it, that the prices are good. I didn't find a place to order samples, though. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they can do.
Thanks again.

We also use the shampoo soap bar from GB with our logo - Our guests like them and the leftovers I keep to take to a local shelter. They are wrapped in paper and printed in soy-based ink. we've made bookmarks with an embossed logo on it - I like JB's bookmarks - they are colorful and has all inn info (her postcards are great, too!) Love the idea about the back-scratcher - where do you find those, K?
great ideas on this thread!.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=27/1083&mode=Searching&erec=1&D=back+scratcher&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntk=all&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&N=0&Ntt=back+scratcher&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&sd=Mini+Back+Scratchers
I print my phrase 5 per label on 2x4 (5263 mailing labels) and cut them apart with a paper cutter I bought at the craft store (has guide and the cutter slides up & down the guide) to get straight cuts. Affixing the lavbels is tedious - be prepared. But they are popular because they are USEFUL!
thanks, K!

This is sort of off the topic as you presented it, but 'marketing budget' has been percolating around in my head these couple of days and last night it hit me- Amenities are a wonderful thing, and they are a part of the marketing budget when you brand them, but where's the rest of your marketing budget going?
  • Do you have a website? Webmaster?
  • Is it up to date? (Webmaster, too, is that person up to date?)
  • Is the domain name paid for out a few years? (So you don't lose it in the shuffle of changing hands.)
  • Webhosting paid for? Ditto above.
  • Online reservations?
  • Knock their socks off photos?
  • Are you listed in B&B directories?
  • Has the listing been claimed in Google Local (free, but is it done)?
  • Belong to the local Chamber?
  • State Chamber?
  • Social media presence (all free, but is it in place)?
  • If yes, to all of the above, make darn sure you get the passwords to everything!

I can definitely do large bottles of pump shampoo in the bathroom. I certainly wouldn't mind using that after someone else. As far as the pens go, I would put the URL on them and they would be for taking home.
I have read so many stories about people loving the B&B, but not being able to remember the name. We go to Destin for a couple of weeks every year (guess that will be coming to an end now) and I seriously couldn't tell you which condo we were at last summer.
Now that I'm going from user to provider, all of sudden that's important. Haha
~~g.
I think remembering a beach condo is a different scenario than remembering a B&B. You probably had no or relatively little hospitality service at the beach condo in Destin, right? It's kinda apples to oranges...
Re: people taking, leaving, and/or using bath amenities - Some people are like my dh, he will use & take everything in the way of individual bath amenities and doesn't care a twit about fragrance, type, style, logo, etc. He uses it while he's there & just grabs all that stuff because he figures he's paid for it and will use it sooner or later. I will use amenities that are better quality, non-allergen, or that I just like the brand. I might take it to remind me of the product OR the B&B. If I don't use it during my stay, it's because I packed my own stuff as a backup because I'm not sure if I'll have an allergy/sensitivity to what's in the room. This is the reason that I don't use anything in dispensers without the product content clearly labeled.
I did discover for our guests that they liked having antibacterial pump soap at the sink (we used various Bath & Body Works) and when we went to Gilchrist & Soames hotel amenities (a better known brand) that we went through more bath soap. A lot of folks do bring their own shampoo/conditioner I think because there are so many options out there & people get hooked on their own "product". Overall, business travelers tended to use all the bath amenities more.
I had all kinds of other amenities available & people commented on how I went the extra mile in that area. Guests didn't really clean us out either.
Just depends on what you want to do in your market.
I always bring home the stuff from Disney World b/c it just makes me HAPPY to look at it ~ would't dare use it once I got home.
regular_smile.gif
I never bring home anything from Holiday Inn, but I do use it when I'm there.
My inexperience is making me obsess on return guests or them telling friends that MY B&B is the best one in town and a must-stay!
I want to provide as many luxuries as I can afford, but probably should spend my energy on getting them to book in the first place. Fancy soap won't impress anyone if they aren't staying with me.
You keep mentioning your inexperience. May I suggest you maybe do an internship with a B & B..volunteer to help out for free. See what it is really like. Above all take an Aspiring Innkeeper class BEFORE you plop down any money. You will learn alot. Some folks learn so much they decide not to become innkeepers and really that is a good thing.

This is sort of off the topic as you presented it, but 'marketing budget' has been percolating around in my head these couple of days and last night it hit me- Amenities are a wonderful thing, and they are a part of the marketing budget when you brand them, but where's the rest of your marketing budget going?
  • Is the domain name paid for out a few years? (So you don't lose it in the shuffle of changing hands.)
  • Online reservations?
  • State Chamber?
  • If yes, to all of the above, make darn sure you get the passwords to everything!
Thanks for the list. My offer includes rights to business name, domain name (will check out how long that's for) Website has good info, but I will definitely update the pics, I personally don't like them. Currently takes online ressies with Webervations. Listed in most directories, has a good rep and been open for 10 years.
I am certainly going to attend as many conferences and classes as I can find.
Thanks again for all the advice and ideas.

• Online reservations?
  • State Chamber?
Thanks for the list. My offer includes rights to business name, domain name (will check out how long that's for) Website has good info, but I will definitely update the pics, I personally don't like them. Currently takes online ressies with Webervations. Listed in most directories, has a good rep and been open for 10 years.
Does offer include rights to website and all content as well? Someone else on here (Morticia) found out the webmaster thought he owned the website and it took yonks to get it sorted.

• Online reservations?
  • State Chamber?
Does offer include rights to website and all content as well? Someone else on here (Morticia) found out the webmaster thought he owned the website and it took yonks to get it sorted.
Wow, I will definitely get more details on that. For some reason I thought the webmaster worked for the client (you know, b/c we PAY them)
I'll make sure I cover that, thanks!

• Online reservations?
  • State Chamber?
Wow, I will definitely get more details on that. For some reason I thought the webmaster worked for the client (you know, b/c we PAY them)
Gingerbread Latte said:
The issue that was brought up involved a website that was done 'as a favor' to the PO's. So the web designer was under the impression he owned the rights to everything on the website- photos (he took them), content (he wrote it up), the actual coding (he used a program, so not original coding). We had to get an IT lawyer involved. It took us over a month to get the password to be able to logon to change the information. The designer 'offered' to continue to maintain the site for $200/month with each additional change we wanted to make costing between $25-$50 per item. I decided to learn web design on my own.
What the PO's said was, 'We thought you would just do your own site.' Not knowing then what I do know now, I'm glad I didn't say, 'Sure, I'll just do that.' I would have lost all the history right at the start. As it was, I threw it away later not knowing then what I do know now!
Because of the photgraphic issues, they were someone else's photos and not the PO's to give away, I did lose all of the 'candid' photos on the website immediately. I kept the 'inn' photos of the rooms and exterior. The web person insisted I had to keep his name on the site as the designer and a link to his website so he could get business from my site. Once I started making changes, he insisted I remove his name as he was losing business based on the crappy work I was doing with his name on it.
It's still something you should look into. Who is doing the web work and what they will charge you to continue. How you go about getting someone new, if you want. There have been horror stories on here of web designers holding websites hostage for months on end, doing no work, while the innkeeper slowly goes crazy!
So passwords should be part of the property exchange. You'll need them for directory updates, ownership updates on the domain name, ownership updates on the hosting site, and changes to the inn's site itself. AND, you need to know who ELSE knows those pw's! And change them immediately if you fire anyone.
As an aside, also check for tradesman's liens on the property. You know, for people who worked for the PO's but didn't get paid!

Back