Marketing Question?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had the meet and greet here and anyone who wanted to come was invited. (Chamber of Commerce) I've also done tours in the afternoon.
No, the problem with the meet and greet is me. I'm shy. (Don't laugh. I really am shy.) But, you have to go to these things or there's no sense in belonging to any sort of groups. No one does biz with people who can't be bothered to attend events..
regular_smile.gif

Yes, that helps..
Would you be willing to help me out by responding to my question? I would greatly appreciate it!
regular_smile.gif

The personal interface. Going out and meeting all the people who I need to know to get my biz known. Joining Chambers and other like organizations and then having to 'press the flesh' every week so my name is out there. The reverse of that is having to listen to everyone else's marketing pitch at the same time. You need insurance? I know insurance agents!
regular_smile.gif

I would say my main problem is time there are sooo many different areas, agences, booking web sites, your own web site, and all the social networking areas

Note: MarketingMojo's (Kim Lednum CEO of http://ibbaconnect.com - International Bed and Breakfast Associaton) comments were not deleted or edited by me in any way. Kim removed them and replaced them with smileys.
I am sorry she wasted forum members' time over the past few days with this nonsense. This was certainly not an example of how new vendors should behave on this forum. Currently her account has not been banned, in case she re-considers her actions and wants to make amends.

So, apparently it is not just me. Talking with friends tonight who are much more 'out there,' they said the same thing I noticed...'they're all cliques, they all have name tags on from the same biz/biz type.' So even the extroverts were having trouble.
I came away with one good line to use with wafflers on the phone, so it was worth it..
Morticia said:
So, apparently it is not just me. Talking with friends tonight who are much more 'out there,' they said the same thing I noticed...'they're all cliques, they all have name tags on from the same biz/biz type.' So even the extroverts were having trouble.
I came away with one good line to use with wafflers on the phone, so it was worth it.
Can you share the line with us?
I've just started going to CVB after work things. The first one we walked into was packed, and dh is very, very introverted. He followed me around and made me nuts. The second one he stayed home with the kids.
I admit, I'm an extrovert, so I know I have an advantage... but even so, walking into a room of strangers isn't easy, even for us extroverts. I start by finding someone I know and saying hi (if I can)... but that's not what I'm there for.
My theory is that everyone else at the meeting also has a business they want to plug. So I pretty much go up to people, say "Hi, I'm Kathy, what do you do?" or "who are you with?"
For some reason hardly anyone puts anything on their name tags beyond their first name. I put "College House B&B" on mine. I pass out my card. I figure you never know...
Last time I was chatting with a guy from the printers who did my rack card and another (nametag-less) lady. I turned to her and asked what she does... "Nothing much." "Oh, you're retired?" No, she was one of our County Commissioners! (A very competent and pleasant one, to boot!)
=)
Kk.

I came away with one good line to use with wafflers on the phone, so it was worth it..
Morticia said:
I came away with one good line to use with wafflers on the phone, so it was worth it.
Can you share the line with us?
I've just started going to CVB after work things. The first one we walked into was packed, and dh is very, very introverted. He followed me around and made me nuts. The second one he stayed home with the kids.
I admit, I'm an extrovert, so I know I have an advantage... but even so, walking into a room of strangers isn't easy, even for us extroverts. I start by finding someone I know and saying hi (if I can)... but that's not what I'm there for.
My theory is that everyone else at the meeting also has a business they want to plug. So I pretty much go up to people, say "Hi, I'm Kathy, what do you do?" or "who are you with?"
For some reason hardly anyone puts anything on their name tags beyond their first name. I put "College House B&B" on mine. I pass out my card. I figure you never know...
Last time I was chatting with a guy from the printers who did my rack card and another (nametag-less) lady. I turned to her and asked what she does... "Nothing much." "Oh, you're retired?" No, she was one of our County Commissioners! (A very competent and pleasant one, to boot!)
=)
Kk.
When I go to a function, I look for a table (if a dinner) that I know no one or someone I do not know in the crowd. If they know me, they already know what I do and who I am - I cannot give them the commercial! After I give my commercial, I get theirs.

Back