Marketing to Gen X vs Baby Boomers and Gen Y

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a Gen Y'er (28, so kinda both X and Y, depending on who picks the start dates) I sometimes just shake my head at you old people.
poke.gif

But I'm not your normal twenty-something. So I understand the stigma that comes with being youngish..
cherry64 said:
As a Gen Y'er (28, so kinda both X and Y, depending on who picks the start dates) I sometimes just shake my head at you old people.
poke.gif

But I'm not your normal twenty-something. So I understand the stigma that comes with being youngish.
Why do you shake your head? What am I doing/saying that is offensive? Seriously, tell me.
Morticia said:
cherry64 said:
poke.gif

But I'm not your normal twenty-something. So I understand the stigma that comes with being youngish.
Why do you shake your head? What am I doing/saying that is offensive? Seriously, tell me.
I'm not really offended.
regular_smile.gif
There is just a touch of prejudice against young people at B&B's. Little comments about keeping a close eye on the college aged kids or young marrieds. I've personally been treated poorly by innkeepers because of my age, so I am more aware of it than others might be. I've gotten use to it.
I don't get marketed to because of my age. Even though, if I start liking B&B's at a young age I will spend more money and time at B&B's over the course of my life time.
cherry64 said:
Morticia said:
cherry64 said:
poke.gif

I'm not really offended.
regular_smile.gif
There is just a touch of prejudice against young people at B&B's. Little comments about keeping a close eye on the college aged kids or young marrieds. I've personally been treated poorly by innkeepers because of my age, so I am more aware of it than others might be. I've gotten use to it.
I don't get marketed to because of my age. Even though, if I start liking B&B's at a young age I will spend more money and time at B&B's over the course of my life time.
Do you own a B&B or are you an aspiring? College aged kids are what I described in my post, not the ones who spend money and stimulate the local economy. They want something hip - not a place filled with antiques. That is what "they" say repeatedly. If they wanted an old house full of antiques then my TARGET would be right on them. This is a discussion about marketing, I didn't invent that college age kids have no money.
This is a marketing thread, if anyone has idea to market to Gen X please share them before I beat my HEAD against the wall.
[/quote]
This is a marketing thread, if anyone has idea to market to Gen X please share them before I beat my HEAD against the wall.
[/quote]
Maybe include something in the wording of your package that points out the value. This group will spend the money but want to see the value. We say they get a whole weekend getaway for the price that they used to pay for just one airline ticket alone - that's two nights with the wine tour in a location where they can also enjoy history (Monticello).
I also am getting a lot of Gen X from DC who are complaining that the restaurants are expensive with lousy service and ordinary food. I don't know if that info is any help, since we already know to push the personal attention.
Another thought - we should all probably go back and read our Trip Advisor write ups and others to get an idea of what impressed the guests to glean ideas.
Just a thought.
Riki

Here is some useful info from businessweek.com on buying habits - some things we may not be aware of (remember Gen Y years varies just as Gen x does with in a couple years on either side):
"Born during a baby bulge that demographers locate between 1979 and 1994, they are as young as five and as old as 20, with the largest slice still a decade away from adolescence. And at 60 million strong, more than three times the size of Generation X, they're the biggest thing to hit the American scene since the 72 million baby boomers. Still too young to have forged a name for themselves, they go by a host of taglines: Generation Y, Echo Boomers, or Millennium Generation."
"Indeed, though the echo boom rivals its parent's generation in size, in almost every other way, it is very different. This generation is more racially diverse: One in three is not Caucasian. One in four lives in a single-parent household. Three in four have working mothers. While boomers are still mastering Microsoft Windows 98, their kids are tapping away at computers in nursery school."
"Smith and others believe that behind the shift in Gen Y labels lies a shift in values on the part of Gen Y consumers. Having grown up in an even more media-saturated, brand-conscious world than their parents, they respond to ads differently, and they prefer to encounter those ads in different places. The marketers that capture Gen Y's attention do so by bringing their messages to the places these kids congregate, whether it's the Internet, a snowboarding tournament, or cable TV. The ads may be funny or disarmingly direct. What they don't do is suggest that the advertiser knows Gen Y better than these savvy consumers know themselves.

Soon a lot of other companies are going to have learn the nuances of Gen Y marketing. In just a few years, today's teens will be out of college and shopping for their first cars, their first homes, and their first mutual funds. The distinctive buying habits they display today will likely follow them as they enter the high-spending years of young adulthood. "

http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_07/b3616001.htm

I didn't realize years ago that the Gen X crowd would be the ones that would be our target market, but it turns out they are. Our B&B's overall style (not necessarily decor or building) appealed to them, so I started marketing to them. For most of them, they've never stayed in a B&B before so they are a bit hesitant, but once they've tried it and it fits their style, they will return over and over and since they're younger than the Baby Boomers, you get them returning for more years in the future. Our guests are now mostly Gen Xers.
Here's my take on what they want:
Personal service/attention, but they want to be left alone (huh?). They typically are the ones that after I check them in, I don't see much until check-out. They want to know that you're available if they need you, but they don't necessarily want to see you.
They want everything at their fingertips. They don't want to have to ask for things. Area driving trips that they can either download or printed up for them to take when they are at your place. Restaurant recommendations printed up or provide address for their GPS. They want to do things, but they don't want to plan it themselves. Offer add-ons/packages they can add during the reservation process.
They want privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door which I know most innkeepers don't want or can't do. If you can't/don't offer breakfast in the room, then make sure there are separate tables in your breakfast room so they can have the choice to not socialize if that's what they want.
Be flexible with your breakfast times. Most Gen X couples are tired. They have young kids at home and stressful lives. They want to relax, not necessarily sleep in. Most Gen X couples typically request their breakfast at 9:30. Of course, this could be different if you are located in a major tourist area where people are there to see the sites.
Offer beverages/ice and snacks in a common area they can access 24 hours a day. Great coffee.
Wi-Fi is a must.
They are not choosing your place because of the historic nature of your building. They are choosing it because of the amenities and location. They read your reviews and blog. Because they read my blog, I frequently blog about what a B&B is and what to expect when staying in one. They are the ones who typically haven't stayed at a B&B before, so educate them to alleviate their fears once they do find your website. They do not want the old style of B&B where they feel like they are staying in someone's bedroom. I can't tell you how often I've heard them tell me that. Yes, it can be in your "home", but they don't want to be aware of it. Separate your personal space from the guest space as much as possible.
For what it's worth, those are my experiences with the Gen X crowd.

JB, I believe you are spot on with all these descriptions of the different groups. The Gen Y isn't going to be putting any $ into anything until they have paying jobs! Gen X-ers are settled in their careers and may still be dinks (double income no kids) - and may stay that way until the economy improves - they think they have $ to burn. Let them spend it on vacations - market to them!.
suellen222 said:
JB, I believe you are spot on with all these descriptions of the different groups. The Gen Y isn't going to be putting any $ into anything until they have paying jobs! Gen X-ers are settled in their careers and may still be dinks (double income no kids) - and may stay that way until the economy improves - they think they have $ to burn. Let them spend it on vacations - market to them!
So the ideas for marketing to them are...?
As I was typing this I had outlook flash a B&B org newsletter with headlines "B&B draws scrapbooking enthusiasts"
See to me there is nothing in this $, to get a bunch of women (presumably) who try to pack four to a room and bring their own potluck casseroles and kitchen access to reheat or dish up the food and take over every inch of the B&B is NOT my cup of tea for a B&B. article here in news online
Of course if the owners are into it and just want to use it as an extension of their places and part of their 'thing' then sobeit. Again, scrapbookers although spend hundreds to thousands on their supplies and hobby are not out to spend money at a B&B, they want to save money.
This seems to be very outdated trend as murder mystery weekends, surely we have some new trends to focus on?
(I am thinking aloud on these working for 2010 marketing) :)
Are there any quilt shows in your area? I know women who like to travel for that. How 'bout just marketing a "girls weekend" getaway. Who needs a reason, you just want to get away - from the husband and kids! If I had a husband who hunted, fished, etc., you can bet I would be finding an excuse to take the same amount of time away!
suellen222 said:
Are there any quilt shows in your area? I know women who like to travel for that. How 'bout just marketing a "girls weekend" getaway. Who needs a reason, you just want to get away - from the husband and kids! If I had a husband who hunted, fished, etc., you can bet I would be finding an excuse to take the same amount of time away!
Okay, I am a bit confused. Looking at marketing to Gen X. Like the orig post suggested. We do need a "reason" it is called marketing, it needs to have some sort of grab to get the guests in, otherwise we would not market at all. Just trying to clarify if I was too wordy or confusing.
So any ideas specific to Gen X?? Not rated "G" for general audience, specifically to Gen X. Again, not an economy weekend where we pack ladies into a room, actually trying to MAKE money on this.
Ok, I'm going to say this in a kind and loving way - aren't you trying to make $ at your B&B - shouldn't you just be marketing your B&B? It looks like a beautiful place to come and hang out. I agree with the person that advised to "go check your Trip Advisor comments" People just want to be pampered and validated - fawn all over them when they are there.

here is a great article
and it reflects what i hear from my own children x's
while they love to 'get away' they also want to know what there is to do in the area. and yes, they love packages, specials and offers.
these are the guests who grab all the brochures for local businesses
not all younger guests are physically fit bikers and not all older guests are strollers and diners, so this is a generalization. but i did see a lot more activity planning with the gen y guests. whatever goes on in your area, they want to do it or know about it so they can choose.
i had some packages and where i couldn't arrange those, i wangled discount tickets ...
there was kayaking instruction, tours and rentals across the road, they loved that.
lobstering out of the harbor. they not only wanted to eat it, they wanted to go on a boat and haul in a trap. i'm delighted to say that a couple of hurting lobstermen saw this opportunity and now sell out their lobstering trips ... especially in great weather. the guests come back tired and wet, eyes shining with stories to tell.
there are lots of art galleries in the area. whenever possible, i tied in with art demonstrations, lectures and classes. although painting is very popular, those were mostly 5 day packages that people with assumed talent signed up for way in advance ...
especially popular with my guests were the pottery demos and classes and making art from driftwood, where they could sign up the day before and jump in ...
they love live music (i do too) ... when i could get live bluegrass, folk or jazz to come, i did. we had a big lawn and i just invited them to set up and play out there. people loved it. when we tied it in with gallery exhibits, with complimentary refreshments, we had lots of people. i don't know if where you are requires permits for this.
they want to be able to access their internet gizmo's. if they couldn't text from their whatevers, they were snapping pictures with their phones.
my own kids love value and great deals, quality and social causes. they love interesting restaurants with ethnic food and different drinks to go with. they also really enjoy comedy clubs, sporting events and street fairs
they all love romance. big time! if any of the three guys in these couples booked a room with you, and you mentioned add-ons of flowers, SOLD.
they love jacuzzis. and fireplaces. i always hear raves about the places they've gone that had them.

JB, I believe you are spot on with all these descriptions of the different groups. The Gen Y isn't going to be putting any $ into anything until they have paying jobs! Gen X-ers are settled in their careers and may still be dinks (double income no kids) - and may stay that way until the economy improves - they think they have $ to burn. Let them spend it on vacations - market to them!.
suellen222 said:
JB, I believe you are spot on with all these descriptions of the different groups. The Gen Y isn't going to be putting any $ into anything until they have paying jobs! Gen X-ers are settled in their careers and may still be dinks (double income no kids) - and may stay that way until the economy improves - they think they have $ to burn. Let them spend it on vacations - market to them!
As I was typing this I had outlook flash a B&B org newsletter with headlines "B&B draws scrapbooking enthusiasts"
See to me there is nothing in this $, to get a bunch of women (presumably) who try to pack four to a room and bring their own potluck casseroles and kitchen access to reheat or dish up the food and take over every inch of the B&B is NOT my cup of tea for a B&B. article here in news online
Of course if the owners are into it and just want to use it as an extension of their places and part of their 'thing' then sobeit. Again, scrapbookers although spend hundreds to thousands on their supplies and hobby are not out to spend money at a B&B, they want to save money.
This seems to be very outdated trend as murder mystery weekends, surely we have some new trends to focus on?
suellen222 said:
Okay, I am a bit confused. Looking at marketing to Gen X. Like the orig post suggested. We do need a "reason" it is called marketing, it needs to have some sort of grab to get the guests in, otherwise we would not market at all. Just trying to clarify if I was too wordy or confusing.
So any ideas specific to Gen X?? Not rated "G" for general audience, specifically to Gen X. Again, not an economy weekend where we pack ladies into a room, actually trying to MAKE money on this.
Ok, I'm going to say this in a kind and loving way - aren't you trying to make $ at your B&B - shouldn't you just be marketing your B&B? It looks like a beautiful place to come and hang out. I agree with the person that advised to "go check your Trip Advisor comments" People just want to be pampered and validated - fawn all over them when they are there.
suellen222 said:
Nope
You are making the assumption "If you build it they will come"
We have to MARKET our B&B's which is why I was searching out the perfect "picnic" package, and other packages to suit and invite interest. We have niche marketing in play. Nope. Not at all. Which is why we have this thread folder/subject title about marketing. Just a commercial is geared to sell a product, not to everyone typically. You know, the toys and pizza pocket ads are on the kids stations or right after school hours. Just like the food ads are later at night for us who get the munchies later while watching a movie.

I got the info to start this thread from a state tourism dashboard - it is about tourism, we have to promote our inns, just as there is a multimillion dollar campaign to promote our state. If we can jump in on some of their themes all the better.
Privacy, practicality, packages...eh BD. Good food for thought. You know this past year (I already ran my reports) and found way less breakfast delivered to the room than the prev year. It is an add on here. It did catch my eye, so I will ponder that as well.

I have the "spice of life" guests, as Joey says, so not a single predominant age group. If I were to really go after the Gen X guests, it would be to have all the social networking going. They are into that and will check out what's happening via those networks. And, they do like privacy and lots of amenities, high tech is a must with TV, DVDs, and free WiFi so that should be pushed. They also want things to do, so there should be plenty of info on what's available in the area and itineraries are super. I would say that it's 50-50 here for the purchasing of any add-on packages. I think that they're looking for something special but that's just a gut feeling, no science there. ;-)

JB, marketing to Gen-X is pretty easy actually. They're the biggest spenders on travel out there but are frequently overlooked. Most places tend to market to the baby boomers, who are not nearly as big a chunk of the travel market.
Besides WiFi, which is a must, the simplest thing you can do is be ready for their hi-tech needs.
Ipod players in every room helps. If not in every room, make sure it's clear to them which rooms are ipod ready so they can choose them. But definitely get at least some ipod players. It's almost a necessity.
Some things I've done in the past that have been successful with Gen-Y, include having some ipod shuffles all loaded with some great music that's perfect for your area. I've also recorded and loaded onto some ipods self-guided tours of the area. Those have been huge hits and it's really not that much trouble to do. Once you've done one, it's easy from there!
Ditto on having things at their fingertips. Picnic spots lined up. Super picnic baskets available. Action sports lined up; paddling, hiking, cycling. When there's great music in town, especially if it's of the somewhat hip variety, run specials including tix.
Here in California, Yelp is really popular because it's accesible by iphones. If you've gotten good yelp reviews for your inn, promote them.

suellen222 said:
Different ideas would be great. But I do know these targeted weekends bring in guests in the off season. Yes, they want discounts, but you have to be firm and say how many per room and what the price is (usually per person) and what the restrictions are. It does depend on the area you're in and your level of tolerance for antics.
If I had more room I would definitely try to focus on this market. Here's why...they are loyal. If you provide them with clean, comfortable accommodations and workspace and maybe lunch or 'midnight snacks' they return year after year. Let's say you can get around $99-$129 per person for a usually dead weekend. They book the whole house. For me, that could be $1400+. Not bad in Feb or March.
But I don't have the workspace for that many guests to spread out.
Whenever we have a crafting weekend in town, the cheap rooms go first. Absolutely. But that goes back, I think, to what we talked about recently...how much money is at your disposal before you need 'permission' to spend more. The supplies are expensive and no one wants to do without their supplies, so lodging and meals are where they cut. That's why a flexible pricing plan for these groups helps. Hotels deeply discount these groups, shaving 50% off room rates sometimes.
Mort do you really think you would get $99-129 per person? They will not each book their own room, that is why I was saying pack four to a room. In the past this has been the scenario, and they will look for Inns with two beds per room for that reason. Have you had one of these weekends book before, can you share your experience in that?
Joey Bloggs said:
Mort do you really think you would get $99-129 per person? They will not each book their own room, that is why I was saying pack four to a room. In the past this has been the scenario, and they will look for Inns with two beds per room for that reason. Have you had one of these weekends book before, can you share your experience in that?
I've not been able to get a full house booking, but for this sort of event in town, where the majority are staying 4 to a room at the hotels for $99/room/night, I am getting, for the same weekend, $90-$110/per person for 2 nights.
Yes, absolutely, they are trying to keep the price of the accommodations down, but SOME of them get to the point they don't want the 'how many can we cram in' scenario anymore and they'll call me. Because I am competing with what is basically $25/night at the hotels, I do discount, but obviously not as much.
Last year the women who stayed were very pleasantly surprised that their room included breakfast. They are coming back this year. I just need them to bring a few more friends with them!

You know one market I have been unable to tap into and maybe y'all can give some ideas for this one as well is - REUNIONS - either college or high school. Homecoming, milestone reunions, etc. I have thought about this one, as they are mostly coming from out of the area, not all have rel's still here to stay with.
I have had a couple times where old college room mates met up here as a central location for a get together. I would like more of these type guests. Without PAYING for ad space in a directory or publication - again, let's look at how to market on a dime. :)

Here is some useful info from businessweek.com on buying habits - some things we may not be aware of (remember Gen Y years varies just as Gen x does with in a couple years on either side):
"Born during a baby bulge that demographers locate between 1979 and 1994, they are as young as five and as old as 20, with the largest slice still a decade away from adolescence. And at 60 million strong, more than three times the size of Generation X, they're the biggest thing to hit the American scene since the 72 million baby boomers. Still too young to have forged a name for themselves, they go by a host of taglines: Generation Y, Echo Boomers, or Millennium Generation."
"Indeed, though the echo boom rivals its parent's generation in size, in almost every other way, it is very different. This generation is more racially diverse: One in three is not Caucasian. One in four lives in a single-parent household. Three in four have working mothers. While boomers are still mastering Microsoft Windows 98, their kids are tapping away at computers in nursery school."
"Smith and others believe that behind the shift in Gen Y labels lies a shift in values on the part of Gen Y consumers. Having grown up in an even more media-saturated, brand-conscious world than their parents, they respond to ads differently, and they prefer to encounter those ads in different places. The marketers that capture Gen Y's attention do so by bringing their messages to the places these kids congregate, whether it's the Internet, a snowboarding tournament, or cable TV. The ads may be funny or disarmingly direct. What they don't do is suggest that the advertiser knows Gen Y better than these savvy consumers know themselves.

Soon a lot of other companies are going to have learn the nuances of Gen Y marketing. In just a few years, today's teens will be out of college and shopping for their first cars, their first homes, and their first mutual funds. The distinctive buying habits they display today will likely follow them as they enter the high-spending years of young adulthood. "

http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_07/b3616001.htm.
So, how have they changed in the 10 years since the article was written? What more do we know about the market in general?
One thing we can take away from that is technology certainly didn't disappear. The number of guests, of ALL ages, I see here who do not have an iPhone or Blackberry or similar product is miniscule. THAT'S where they are getting their info.
It is nothing at all for some of my guests to call 'home' while they are here even tho that call is halfway around the world.

I didn't realize years ago that the Gen X crowd would be the ones that would be our target market, but it turns out they are. Our B&B's overall style (not necessarily decor or building) appealed to them, so I started marketing to them. For most of them, they've never stayed in a B&B before so they are a bit hesitant, but once they've tried it and it fits their style, they will return over and over and since they're younger than the Baby Boomers, you get them returning for more years in the future. Our guests are now mostly Gen Xers.
Here's my take on what they want:
Personal service/attention, but they want to be left alone (huh?). They typically are the ones that after I check them in, I don't see much until check-out. They want to know that you're available if they need you, but they don't necessarily want to see you.
They want everything at their fingertips. They don't want to have to ask for things. Area driving trips that they can either download or printed up for them to take when they are at your place. Restaurant recommendations printed up or provide address for their GPS. They want to do things, but they don't want to plan it themselves. Offer add-ons/packages they can add during the reservation process.
They want privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door which I know most innkeepers don't want or can't do. If you can't/don't offer breakfast in the room, then make sure there are separate tables in your breakfast room so they can have the choice to not socialize if that's what they want.
Be flexible with your breakfast times. Most Gen X couples are tired. They have young kids at home and stressful lives. They want to relax, not necessarily sleep in. Most Gen X couples typically request their breakfast at 9:30. Of course, this could be different if you are located in a major tourist area where people are there to see the sites.
Offer beverages/ice and snacks in a common area they can access 24 hours a day. Great coffee.
Wi-Fi is a must.
They are not choosing your place because of the historic nature of your building. They are choosing it because of the amenities and location. They read your reviews and blog. Because they read my blog, I frequently blog about what a B&B is and what to expect when staying in one. They are the ones who typically haven't stayed at a B&B before, so educate them to alleviate their fears once they do find your website. They do not want the old style of B&B where they feel like they are staying in someone's bedroom. I can't tell you how often I've heard them tell me that. Yes, it can be in your "home", but they don't want to be aware of it. Separate your personal space from the guest space as much as possible.
For what it's worth, those are my experiences with the Gen X crowd..
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, it can be in your "home", but they don't want to be aware of it. Separate your personal space from the guest space as much as possible.
For what it's worth, those are my experiences with the Gen X crowd.
These were all excellent point, but this last especially.

You know one market I have been unable to tap into and maybe y'all can give some ideas for this one as well is - REUNIONS - either college or high school. Homecoming, milestone reunions, etc. I have thought about this one, as they are mostly coming from out of the area, not all have rel's still here to stay with.
I have had a couple times where old college room mates met up here as a central location for a get together. I would like more of these type guests. Without PAYING for ad space in a directory or publication - again, let's look at how to market on a dime. :).
This really can depend on the college or high school, but if it is free, get on the college/high school website as a place to stay. For all the colleges in the area we never get reunions but I think I'm missing something somewhere because they ARE staying someplace! I just don't think the focus is on 'B&B,' it is probably on 'hotel.'
So, that said, blog about the reunions- dates/places, etc. Ask the question- Did you do THIS when you were here? Then list 10 off the wall things they probably DID miss, or might have done a couple.
In coming back, some grads like to redo all the same things, some like to catch what they missed. (Me, I just want a gyro at Ali Baba's cart on the green. Dumb, but that's what I want when I go back to my college.)

I have had everything from college students to mid late 80s (almost forgot the Biker Boys). I have had several who came here to write. They had breakfast and holed up in their rooms while they were here. When they came up for air they walked the rail-trail. We have had college age couples book the packages.
I have found the tight pockets are the "professionals" whatever their age. I have had lawyers & doctors who seemed to think that every extra effort I went to for their convenience/pleasure was their due. (Example was the horse folks last week - I did charge the $20 escort fee thank goodness that I usually charge to bring in BUT this one, because of weather, I had to go to stable and I stood in the cold to direct traffic if any because we occupied one lane of a 2-lane road to load dogs & horse and then take them to the road to the highway. No tip left in room and no comment written in book either. His e-mail indicated a lawyer.) It is usually the "Joe Blow" making his way who actually appreciates the efforts. I had a young couple here for a funeral and when I went to run the credit card, he told me the amount to run - it was an almost $40 tip and I was charging them $75 + tax as the funeral rate.
Re iPods - don;t most of them have their OWN iPods? Why would I need to supply them? Asking because I am old - too old to be included in the Boomers even so I have no clue.
BTW - in the days of raising my family I went as cheap as I could fe MY get-aways - I belonged to the era of Daddy gets the 25 cent cone because he is Daddy while everyone else got a 10 cent cone. I still have a hard time spending money on ME - it just was not done!

I have had everything from college students to mid late 80s (almost forgot the Biker Boys). I have had several who came here to write. They had breakfast and holed up in their rooms while they were here. When they came up for air they walked the rail-trail. We have had college age couples book the packages.
I have found the tight pockets are the "professionals" whatever their age. I have had lawyers & doctors who seemed to think that every extra effort I went to for their convenience/pleasure was their due. (Example was the horse folks last week - I did charge the $20 escort fee thank goodness that I usually charge to bring in BUT this one, because of weather, I had to go to stable and I stood in the cold to direct traffic if any because we occupied one lane of a 2-lane road to load dogs & horse and then take them to the road to the highway. No tip left in room and no comment written in book either. His e-mail indicated a lawyer.) It is usually the "Joe Blow" making his way who actually appreciates the efforts. I had a young couple here for a funeral and when I went to run the credit card, he told me the amount to run - it was an almost $40 tip and I was charging them $75 + tax as the funeral rate.
Re iPods - don;t most of them have their OWN iPods? Why would I need to supply them? Asking because I am old - too old to be included in the Boomers even so I have no clue.
BTW - in the days of raising my family I went as cheap as I could fe MY get-aways - I belonged to the era of Daddy gets the 25 cent cone because he is Daddy while everyone else got a 10 cent cone. I still have a hard time spending money on ME - it just was not done!.
iPod players or docking stations are nice for folks. You can play your iPod music lists through that vs wearing headphones and some charge them, too. However, many people are now putting their music on Smart Phones and iPods are becoming used less. Smart phones have a lot of memory for music, photos, videos. Mine actually also has TV and radio. But it's not a very big screen. :)

BTW - in the days of raising my family I went as cheap as I could fe MY get-aways - I belonged to the era of Daddy gets the 25 cent cone because he is Daddy while everyone else got a 10 cent cone. I still have a hard time spending money on ME - it just was not done!.
iPod players or docking stations are nice for folks. You can play your iPod music lists through that vs wearing headphones and some charge them, too. However, many people are now putting their music on Smart Phones and iPods are becoming used less. Smart phones have a lot of memory for music, photos, videos. Mine actually also has TV and radio. But it's not a very big screen. :)
Thank you for the answer. Although before I got WiFi I lost a few reservations because I did not have it. Now that I have it, I have had very few guests who wanted/needed it. Go figure. I also ended up spending over $500 to get the DSL and the WiFi to talk to each other. Mainframes are not anything like PCs plus I am 15 years removed. Techie I ain't!

Thank you for the answer. Although before I got WiFi I lost a few reservations because I did not have it. Now that I have it, I have had very few guests who wanted/needed it. Go figure. I also ended up spending over $500 to get the DSL and the WiFi to talk to each other. Mainframes are not anything like PCs plus I am 15 years removed. Techie I ain't!
I would say that I get a fair number of people here with what they call "air cards" - they are paying for Internet on their laptop through a phone plan. A lot of those are my biz folks, so they don't need WiFi access. And Smart Phone users access the Internet through those devices. I would have to say that the vast majority of my travelers here utilize our WiFi network though. The technology and access keeps changing all the time.....

gillumhouse said:
Supplying iPod-based tours and specially selected music loaded onto loaner iPods are really nice amenities for folks who are used to using iPods. Done correctly they're tools to help establish a connection to a place. Nice but not necessary.
But to get Gen-X or Gen-Y guests on a regular basis, you do need to be alert to what they're looking for. And yes, they do travel with their iPods. I travel with at least 2 myself and trust me, I'm not that young!
For guests traveling with iPods or iPhones, guest room iPod players, especially those that charge as well as play, are always a great treat to find.
And just like all guests, it's all those thoughtful surprises that delight and bring them back for more!

I just got a late Christmas present ...a new ipod 5th generation. Has an fm radio, takes video, has a built in pedometer and more that I have yet to discover. I got the 16 GIg one!!! Been downloading stuff today to put on it!!!! But...when I tried it in my docking station last night...got some sort of an error message. Will have to try again today after I have put on all the stuff.

Back