Mattress Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrh

Reaction score
In our 4th year already, time does fly!
Some of our mattresses are in need of replacement. When buying new mattresses, what level of quality do you buy and how many years do you expect them to be in service?
Thanks,
r

We try to get 6 years out of our mattresses. At the moment we are nurning along our extra firm plush Sealy Posturepedic mattresses with memory foam toppers. Everyone seems to love them.

Four years ... happy inniversary! (new word)
cheers.gif

I think 'they say' that mattress' average life is 10 years. Of course, not for me ... I will use a mattress for much longer than that.
I replaced the worst ones first and went from there.
And there was a seldom used room that, of course, had a seldom used mattress ... so I switched that one out to a more popular room. I put the biggest I could fit as I replaced them. I discovered I could book a soso room by squeezing in a king size bed. Even though it took some pushing and creativity so that it didn't feel like 'bed and walls', folks wanted the biggg bed.
I slept on each mattress ... each year ... we were seasonal and also not always full ... so I'd slip into a room if we were quiet. It was good to do this. Having to actually USE the room as though I were a guest helped me see flaws and things that needed moving, and also I'd see what was especially nice.
I bought the best I could afford ... NOT top of the line ... and was always scanning for sales and blowouts and mismatched sets. The mismatch doesn't matter a bit ... besides, I put the mattresses and the box springs in the zippered 'bug proof' cases. well ... hopefully bug proof!
ps added expense was the split box spring to get it up the stairs. the mattress will bend and I could work it around the corners with help but not the box springs. Can you salvage the box springs?

How often do people turn (flip, spin, roll, etc...) their mattresses? Although I guess a lot of mattresses are now only one-sided so you can't really turn them over (but could still spin them). This is supposed to help extend their life, or so we have been lead to believe.
In our (albeit limited) experience, foundations (i.e. "box springs") and bed frames matter. If the typical flimsy fabric-covered wood and cardboard foundation is only supported at the four corners, it will sag in the middle, and the mattress with it...
no, they don't have to match, but new mattresses deserve decent foundations.

I believe that Simmons has a hospitality division where you can purchase the beds and get a discount. Then when a guest wants the same bed they can call Simmons themselves and order it and you get the commision. That is what they told me. Wish I would of know that before we bought all these mattresses at a retail location. I would expect 10 plus years from a mattress and these are in their 6th year and still fine.

We try and buy sealies and they tend to last. Ours do hard service and have lasted 6 and a half years so far without problem.

HOLY COW ARE YOU SERIOUS!.
What do you mean "am I serious"? These mattresses were not new when we bought the place. Just asking for some advice please.
rrh said:
What do you mean "am I serious"? These mattresses were not new when we bought the place. Just asking for some advice please.
Another poster said trying to get mattresses to last 6 years. This with mattresses having a much longer supposed guaranteed use-life. I thought you said yours were needing replacement after just 4 years.

Wow! 4 years already!
I'm not sure what brand you bought before or what your occ is but 4 years is pretty short. Even my mattress, which is 100% occupied doesn't need changing after 4 years. Seems like you might want to go with a 'hotel' grade mattress. (I say this because we have some mattresses here that are hotel grade and they've been in place for 20 years and are not sagging in the middle or on the edges.)

HOLY COW ARE YOU SERIOUS!.
rrh said:
I, too, thought they were new 4 years ago. Sorry. But, as I said, our hotel grade mattresses are 20 years old and still sleep well.

How often do people turn (flip, spin, roll, etc...) their mattresses? Although I guess a lot of mattresses are now only one-sided so you can't really turn them over (but could still spin them). This is supposed to help extend their life, or so we have been lead to believe.
In our (albeit limited) experience, foundations (i.e. "box springs") and bed frames matter. If the typical flimsy fabric-covered wood and cardboard foundation is only supported at the four corners, it will sag in the middle, and the mattress with it...
no, they don't have to match, but new mattresses deserve decent foundations..
I flip them 2x/year. It should be done 4x but they don't get a lot of use over the winter.
I saw this helpful tip on Martha- write the month you want to flip on the ends of the mattresses. You write the month so that when the mattress is flipped, the month is facing so you can read it. Flip north to south and then east to west and in a year you'll be back where you started. If there is not some way to tell, I always forget which way I flipped last time.

We try to get 6 years out of our mattresses. At the moment we are nurning along our extra firm plush Sealy Posturepedic mattresses with memory foam toppers. Everyone seems to love them..
Sealy has a hospitality price. We like their Presidential mattresses and the guests love them. They are marked for flipping which makes it easy too.
RIki

A short time after we opened (almost 4 years ago!) We took some time to go and visit my nephew and his family in another city. We spent one night with them then thought that for our second night, we would try out a local B&B that appeared from its webpage to have it all.
Long story short, the mattresses were God awful and sagged in the middle, so DW and I slept very closely that night. To make matters worse, the innkeeper had put a sheet of 3/4 plywood under the mattress to "firm it up."
We happened to let it slip that we were new B&B owners and asked how often she changed her mattresses, so we would know what to expect in the future (What I was thinking was, "What the heck were you thinking having something like that in a guest room"). She responded that in the 9 years she had been open that she had never changed the mattresses and was almost proud of the fact.
Change the mattresses when they need to be changed. We do mostly weekend business, so ours will last longer than someone who has daily visitors. It's like the tires on your car: hope for 50,000 miles, but get new when the tread is gone NOT at 50,000 miles.
There was more to this story of the B&B from Hell to tell, but I won't hijack the thread.

We bought Hotel/Motel grade and what we got was so hard that we thought they might simply be cinder block covered with batting. We immediately bought memory foam toppers and the guests RAVE about the bed.
For the King size, we bought pillow-top mattresses that have a heavy gauge wire that runs around the end of the mattress. It protects the sides from sag and at the same time the guests are less likely to sit on the sides of the mattress, which is how they prematurely age.
I don't mind changing my mattresses early, it's preferable to the bad review.

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.
We have also used the memory foam toppers with similar rave reviews.

Thanks again, Randy

I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and learned a lot from them. You are doing some great work. Thank you for making such a nice website.
Regards
Cotton mattresses in mumbai

Then when a guest wants the same bed, they can call Simmons themselves and order it, and you get the commission. That's what they told me.

#1 affordable organic mattress, made in USA. Our Best Natural Latex Mattresses are made for healthy sleeping suiting side sleepers, back sleepers including people with back pains. Gift yourself an elegant bed with simple choices of cotton and/or latex, both wrapped in wool padding. Bed and Wood is all about providing you comfortable mattresses and natural pillows without any mass produced foam layers.
At Bed and Wood, our organic beds are made from cotton, latex and wool; no memory foam, no green foams, no springs.

These days, Zinus is getting good popularity for high quality mattresses. You can easily see it on Amazon and see what users are saying about Zinus mattresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back