Mattress Questions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternMass

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm in the process of trying to order all of our mattresses (5 queen & 2 kings)

As I'm sure you know it is a very crowded & confusing market

Any brands that you would particularly recommend (or avoid?)

The main thing I'm looking for is Hybrid, medium-firmness, preferably not too much over $1000 per

I pulled up the Consumer Reports list but most are either brands I've never heard of, and/or crazy expensive

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

@WesternMass

Suppose I was fortunate to have a mattress shop a few doors down the highway from our 8-room motel. On my last purchase I spoke with the owner/operator and asked his advice. Like you wanted nice quality but not high expense. I also asked if we could get a "deal" as I was a neighbor and would purchase a quantity. I was well pleased at price and quality. I was able to personally feel the mattress and it was easy for him to deliver to me. Age wise, it is probably time to look at replacement again, but guests still brag on these so I'm reluctant to change.

I do not know what brand it is - we used to have a mattress factory in Huntington, WV and I bought from them on the advice of the innkeeper that USED to be in our County Seat. 26 years ago I bought pillowtop mattresses - the kind that are pillowtop BOTH sides. The full-size are long gone - replaced by queens. ONE of those original mattresses was a queen, I still have it, it is now in a budget room because it was replaced with a king. Until December 2014, this was my most used bed, the biggest bed I had. I am still getting comments about how comfortable that bed is. I have someone who stays once a week during our band rehearsal season and she would tell me if that bed was not comfortable - during the "season" that is her room.

The pillowtop both sides allows me to flip the mattress as well as "turn" it. That is why it has lasted this long. (No, I do not have - and did not nave - someone in that bed EVERY night for months at a time all these years, but it has been well used over the years, and several times I had pipeliners LIVING in that room for a couple months at a time.)

We purchase from a local mattress manufacturer, who at the time of our start up, was trying to get into the hospitality sector. Great mattresses and our guests love them too. We know a couple of guests have purchased from the same company as they can ship. We like to support "local" businesses as much as possible.

Hey guys

I'm in the process of trying to order all of our mattresses (5 queen & 2 kings)

As I'm sure you know it is a very crowded & confusing market

Any brands that you would particularly recommend (or avoid?)

The main thing I'm looking for is Hybrid, medium-firmness, preferably not too much over $1000 per

I pulled up the Consumer Reports list but most are either brands I've never heard of, and/or crazy expensive

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
We have a corporate acct with Mattress Firm, they usually attend the ALP/predecessor events.... We have bought 5 sets last 2-3 years and guests love them. They are called Pressure Smart plush mattress... not pillow top but soft-ish.... The prices are quite good compared to retail.... The only negative was the last delivery was a mess, they shipped wrong mattress and at times it seemed the shipping people were totally disconnected to sales.... turns out they switched to new system and the old/in-process didnt migrate well to new system.... they did give a nice discount for the hassles....so overall I totally recommend them. I am sure they will give you good price for 7 beds

I can provide name and number of our salesman if you are interested

We buy local. One was so hard, we had to buy a topper for it. But there are a few important rules...
If you want them to have sex in the beds, springs! If you want them to not have sex in the beds, memory foam.

Generally one level below firm, often called plush or medium-firm. Mattresses with 2 sides are better than mattresses with just one side, they last longer because you flip them more often. And if you can find a bed with a heavy gauge metal wire around the edge of the mattress. If you sit on the mattress, you will feel it behind your thigh.... This will make the bed last longer because people will tend not to sit on the edge of the mattress :)

And the more springs, the better. Even with hybrid beds.

We went thru the same agony of looking at multiple mattress brands in multiple stores. Guess what? Most Sealy, Serta, Simmons, etc mattresses are made in the same facility using the same ‘formula.’ They change the exterior fabric and call them different names, inside they’re the same.

So, we bought local. I don’t know how far they’ll go to deliver but they do have a hospitality discount. Portland Mattress Makers.

Totally agree with Generic that you want flippable mattresses. We bought firm and put a puffy mattress pad on for a little softness.

Don’t forget to get encasement mattress and box spring covers. This is a big investment and you don’t want the first drunk yahoo to ruin the mattress spilling a bottle of wine on it! You can get a wholesale account with SafeRest for the covers. It’s about half off what they sell for on Amazon.

We had a guest that had worked for a mattress company and he said not to buy from a strictly mattress Co. The more coils the better..a nice 2 pillow top. Plus we pit a nice padded cover and works great and guests love them. The set with frame. Box and mattress was about $1200.

My sheets are made for a thick mattress. By the time I got done adding toppers to the mattresses, they were so high I bought some of these bed step stools for each room, to help shorter people get into bed. People have commented on how much they appreciated them. I've also seen people move them to the bathroom so kids can reach the lavatory.

Last edited:
All guest rooms have traditional coil spring Sealy or Serta. flipable. I get them from Costco. Consistent comments from guests are on sleep comfort. I prefer the traditional mattresses myself for the comfort and ease of flip.

Back