Mattress topper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Reading about old mattresses made me wonder - what mattress topper is preferred? Memory Foam was mentioned. ANy others you have used that you feel work well? Egg Crate? Do any of them put off an odor when you first put them on?
I have some puffy mattress protectors that add some extra cushion. I might look at memory foam or another.

I mentioned getting our 3 inch memory foam toppers at Walmart...no odor at all and they really helped with comfort (and I usually can't stand memory foam but this was pretty dense and just felt supportive). I wouldn't recommend any less than 3 inches or I don't think it would do much for you.
We put twin size for our roll-a-way beds and get lots of comments on how comfortable they are.

I mentioned getting our 3 inch memory foam toppers at Walmart...no odor at all and they really helped with comfort (and I usually can't stand memory foam but this was pretty dense and just felt supportive). I wouldn't recommend any less than 3 inches or I don't think it would do much for you.
We put twin size for our roll-a-way beds and get lots of comments on how comfortable they are..
Ditto on the 3-inch memory foam. If you can't afford a new mattress but need to do something, they definitely do the trick.
Overstock.com always has a fairly good selection of brands/thicknesses available. Natural latex is always better than the synthetic - and won't have the off-gassing problem synthetics do.
But the minimum of 3-inches is the key. Really feels like a new mattress.
The advantage, too, to a mattress topper is that it can be removed for the rare guest who just doesn't like memory foam.
Really like the idea of using them on the rollaways! What a great way to add a touch of comfort.

I have heard that memory foam is warm to sleep on. That is one reason why I've avoided for myself. Do not want retained heat in the mattress. Is this true?

I use the puffy mattress protectors. I look for the most ozs/sq ft. They're relatively easy to keep clean (sanitize cycle on the washer) and they do give the mattresses (which are firm) a little give. I need to have cleanable stuff on the beds. I'm a clean fanatic. Something that could get nasty and not be cleanable would not work here.

I have heard that memory foam is warm to sleep on. That is one reason why I've avoided for myself. Do not want retained heat in the mattress. Is this true?.
Especially true with the synthetic foam but, to a lesser degree, even the natural latex can hold heat.
For women of a certain age (such as myself) this is not exactly what you need for a good night's sleep.
This can be limited, at least with the natural latex, with a good mattress cover that includes a thick cotton top - which will absorb most of that heat and pull it away from the body and the mattress as well.
I've also purchased organic natural latex mattresses that had their own built in organic cotton topper - which gave a very comfy rest without the heat. But those organic mattresses are rather expensive.

I have heard that memory foam is warm to sleep on. That is one reason why I've avoided for myself. Do not want retained heat in the mattress. Is this true?.
We have memory foam toppers and I sleep on one every night. I have never noticed any retained heat issues...and I would:)

We have the 3 inch memory foam. Not hot and our guests rave about our beds. We put one on our bed they are so comfy.
RIki

I have found Temperpedic beds to be hot, but not these mattress toppers. We put the mattress topper UNDER a quilted mattress pad, then use very crisp sheets, so that could be why.

I have found Temperpedic beds to be hot, but not these mattress toppers. We put the mattress topper UNDER a quilted mattress pad, then use very crisp sheets, so that could be why..
Yep, it's the quilted mattress pad that does the trick.

I have found Temperpedic beds to be hot, but not these mattress toppers. We put the mattress topper UNDER a quilted mattress pad, then use very crisp sheets, so that could be why..
InnsiderInfo said:
I have found Temperpedic beds to be hot, but not these mattress toppers. We put the mattress topper UNDER a quilted mattress pad, then use very crisp sheets, so that could be why.
That's what we do too - memory pad, waterproof padded mattress cover, then make the bed
Riki

what about people with latex allergies which can be quite serious? rare but possible ...stunned to discover a family member with this problem. it seems to be a sensitivity that built up over time into an allergy and now is a problem.
i read about the cleaning process and layers of organic wool and cotton between the latex and the outside but i would avoid it if purchasing.

Well stuffmart only had 1.5 inch or 5 inch. So I got the 5 inch.
One king $139.99, and two queens $119 each. Better than new mattresses, don't want to buy new mattresses at this point in the game.
The lady at the garden entry door said "Wow you must have got a bargain on those!"
I said, "Why? Do I look like a cheapskate or something?"
She said, "Well you're buying three of them."
"AND?"
She had to see my rcpt since I had no bags or anything, "$139.99!!! HOLY COW!" She said.
No kidding...I mumbled as I walked out the door.
It must have been talk to JB day at stuffmart. I bought a pineapple and some old man in s drivealong buggy pulled up along side me to ask "How do you know if them things are ripe or not?" A couple other weird conversations as well. Sheesh just let me buy my mattress toppers people!

InnsiderInfo said:
That's what we do too - memory pad, waterproof padded mattress cover, then make the bed
Riki
How deep are your sheets?! There is no way the sheets I have right now would ever fit over an additional 3-5" of 'stuffing' on the bed!

InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
How deep are your sheets?! There is no way the sheets I have right now would ever fit over an additional 3-5" of 'stuffing' on the bed!
Bree said:
These are mattresses with an unknown purchase date, reg top. All the others I know, but these three, so I will attempt to make them fit like getting off wet swimsuit...I have certain sheets that are wider and deeper than others. I use those on the newer mattresses with pillow tops, so I will report back. I will find out after just one...this evening.
I bought a pack of chocolate glazed do-nots to bribe my "assistants who will be here shortly to help me with the wet swimsuit wiggle.
wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
Bree said:
These are mattresses with an unknown purchase date, reg top. All the others I know, but these three, so I will attempt to make them fit like getting off wet swimsuit...I have certain sheets that are wider and deeper than others. I use those on the newer mattresses with pillow tops, so I will report back. I will find out after just one...this evening.
I bought a pack of chocolate glazed do-nots to bribe my "assistants who will be here shortly to help me with the wet swimsuit wiggle.
wink_smile.gif

OMG, I would drive there to help for little chocolate donuts!

InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
Bree said:
They are all different. Half are a struggle, the others fit with room to spare. I am the Queen of Overstock dot com.
RIki

Back