Mattresses and Bed Frames

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
We are buying some new beds/mattresses this year - after doing two rooms we are going to do another two now. I just ordered the beds this morning from Tom Seely Furniture (part of www.capertonfurnitureworks.com) because we bought a queen bed from them a few years ago and it is the most fabulous, well-made sturdy bed frame we own. There is no rockin' and rollin', if you know what I mean. And we get the beds directly from the manufacturer (here in West Virginia) at 40% of the retail price. Now I don't know if that's because we're local or because they are associate members of our state B&B association which we belong to, but it's a good deal. We have bought cheaper beds at the furniture store - they look nice but are not made as well. They will be ready in about four weeks for pickup.
So, now I need to order mattress sets - two doubles and two queens, one of the queens being for us. We bought a Dux bed in Boston about 8 or 9 years ago and even though they are supposed to last forever, it is too soft for us now. Does anyone have any suggestions for mattesses? It is so hard to tell the difference between all the style names on the different brands.

Not going to help much, but I get my mattresses from Portland Mattress Makers. They have a rather compact line-up so it's easy to choose.
I had the same problem with the brand names and not being able to comparison shop because they send different names/fabrics to different stores. You may be looking at the exact same mattress at Macy's or America's Mattress, but they'll have different names and the top fabric will be different, so you have no idea if buying them in one place or the other is the better deal.

Not going to help much, but I get my mattresses from Portland Mattress Makers. They have a rather compact line-up so it's easy to choose.
I had the same problem with the brand names and not being able to comparison shop because they send different names/fabrics to different stores. You may be looking at the exact same mattress at Macy's or America's Mattress, but they'll have different names and the top fabric will be different, so you have no idea if buying them in one place or the other is the better deal..
I did check out their website but since I will need the mattresses before I can make a trip up there - and I suspect delivery will be prohibitive - I may have to find a more generic source. We actually got two queens a few years ago at a local place and they are fine, standard Sealy or whatever, but I'll be darned if I remember what kind they are.

We were told to contact Sealy and ask for the B&B prices. I am thrilled with my matresses and the cost. In 2007 we purchased our king size for $648 and I can't recall if that included the $50 delivery fee or not.
Contact Jim Hall at [email protected]
He may not be the rep for your area but tell him Arcady Vineyard told you to contact him. If you want the description just email me and I'll send it to you. I don't know how to do attachements here.

riki

I had the same problem with the brand names and not being able to comparison shop because they send different names/fabrics to different stores. You may be looking at the exact same mattress at Macy's or America's Mattress, but they'll have different names and the top fabric will be different, so you have no idea if buying them in one place or the other is the better deal..
I did check out their website but since I will need the mattresses before I can make a trip up there - and I suspect delivery will be prohibitive - I may have to find a more generic source. We actually got two queens a few years ago at a local place and they are fine, standard Sealy or whatever, but I'll be darned if I remember what kind they are.
I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other :) We bought from a local guy, delivered, hauled up to the rooms, set up, etc. My dh can't pick up mattresses and haul them around anymore. Since all of ours are pretty new (except the ones we inherited from our 2nd house), I'm hoping that they'll hold up well. They were mid-range, no pillowtops and the same grade, although the model name changed. EVERYONE comments on the comfort, so they seem to be working for lots of preferences. They are all manufactured by Sealy.

I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other :) We bought from a local guy, delivered, hauled up to the rooms, set up, etc. My dh can't pick up mattresses and haul them around anymore. Since all of ours are pretty new (except the ones we inherited from our 2nd house), I'm hoping that they'll hold up well. They were mid-range, no pillowtops and the same grade, although the model name changed. EVERYONE comments on the comfort, so they seem to be working for lots of preferences. They are all manufactured by Sealy.
You know I probably wouldn't be so picky about any of them except the one that I will sleep on, because I know there is a wide range of preferences out there and the Sealys we bought a few years ago get good comments. I need mine to be good for me. We also went with mid-range, no pillowtops for the inn beds.

We were told to contact Sealy and ask for the B&B prices. I am thrilled with my matresses and the cost. In 2007 we purchased our king size for $648 and I can't recall if that included the $50 delivery fee or not.
He may not be the rep for your area but tell him Arcady Vineyard told you to contact him. If you want the description just email me and I'll send it to you. I don't know how to do attachements here.

riki.
Thanks Riki - I will try him. We can probably arrange a specific delivery date as well, which would be helpful since we won't have the bed frames right away. One mattress goes into an existing bed but the others will be on new bed frames.

riki.
Thanks Riki - I will try him. We can probably arrange a specific delivery date as well, which would be helpful since we won't have the bed frames right away. One mattress goes into an existing bed but the others will be on new bed frames.
I don't know if he is the rep for your area or not but figure he will steer you in the right direction in case. I think they are shipped from Maryland.
Riki

riki.
The mattresses we bought for the guest rooms are supposed to be basically the same model as the one we bought for ourselves. But having tested them all out, they're more comfortable. Or, it's just more comfortable having the whole bed to myself :) haha.

Back