Mattresses

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a new mattress set. Macy's is supposed to be having a big sale starting the 17th. Are there any brands that I should stay away from or are they all about the same?

I also have pillowtop mattresses on all my beds (except mine - darn it) and the recurring comment is how comfortable the bed is....

That so far is the one thing I know for sure I HAVE to have, a pillowtop! I am embarrased to admit this, but our current mattress is 16 years old, and it was pretty inexpensive when we bought it
embaressed_smile.gif
I can't say how many times I wake up in the morning where my back hurts! I'm getting ready to google the Simmons Worldclass and start my list!
We stayed at a B&B in New Hampshire last year and the bed felt like heaven, I wanted to steal it, but I figured they would see it as I left the parking lot
teeth_smile.gif
. I should have took the bed apart in the morning and checked what kind it was, but it didn't cross my mind until I got home.

oceans said:
All the rooms have one so I got one for myself. It is the best thing I ever did for myself. I was sleeping on a bed that was manufactured in 1968 and it was long overdue for a replacement. It was 10 years older than me as I was born in 1978.
YEAH, I would say you were overdue!! I love your smiley avatar, cute!

I also have pillowtop mattresses on all my beds (except mine - darn it) and the recurring comment is how comfortable the bed is.....
Same here.....I am sure glad that it's time for a new mattress for myself too :)
Definately go pillowtop.....

That so far is the one thing I know for sure I HAVE to have, a pillowtop! I am embarrased to admit this, but our current mattress is 16 years old, and it was pretty inexpensive when we bought it
embaressed_smile.gif
I can't say how many times I wake up in the morning where my back hurts! I'm getting ready to google the Simmons Worldclass and start my list!
We stayed at a B&B in New Hampshire last year and the bed felt like heaven, I wanted to steal it, but I figured they would see it as I left the parking lot
teeth_smile.gif
. I should have took the bed apart in the morning and checked what kind it was, but it didn't cross my mind until I got home..
Email the innkeeper and ask what kind it was...we get that all the time.
If you do a little research you can find what the "best" coil counts, materials, etc. are...it's very hard to just shop by brand because the mattress manufacturers will call the same model different names based on where it will be sold (Macy's, Sleepy's, etc.). But once you know the specs to look for you can buy the one that feels most comfortable to you.

Be mindful of the depth of your new mattresses or you may find that you'll be buying new sheets to fit.
confused_smile.gif

This is especially true with pillowtop mattresses. Sounds great. Sounds comfy. Then you try to put your existing sheets onto a mattress that's 3" deeper than your original and it doesn't fit.
angry_smile.gif

I went to our local independent furniture store. Because we were a local business and buying more than one mattress, they cut us a great deal. I chose a Euro top bed that is made in my state, so not only is it comfy, but I'm supporting my state's economy. It's a win, win.

GeorgiaGirl said:
I am getting ready to buy a new mattress set. Macy's is supposed to be having a big sale starting the 17th. Are there any brands that I should stay away from or are they all about the same?
We were recommended to stay away from pillow top as they cannot be "flipped" and will get compressions over time. We have Sealy, I belive, a hotel quality. But what makes our beds super is that instead of the pillowtop we were told to get memory foam, which is about 1" thick and put that on top and then the mattress cover. Everyone says the beds are fantastic!
Riki

I went to our local independent furniture store. Because we were a local business and buying more than one mattress, they cut us a great deal. I chose a Euro top bed that is made in my state, so not only is it comfy, but I'm supporting my state's economy. It's a win, win..
NW BB said:
I went to our local independent furniture store. Because we were a local business and buying more than one mattress, they cut us a great deal. I chose a Euro top bed that is made in my state, so not only is it comfy, but I'm supporting my state's economy. It's a win, win.
We buy our mattresses locally as well and they cut us a deal also. It is a win-win because when I flipped the mattress after only 6 months, there was a tear in the seam and they came out, took the mattress away and repaired it and brought it back. When the delivery guys got a little rambunctious and got the top dirty, they removed it at the shop and replaced it with a brand new cover.
I won't get a pillow top because of the flattening I've heard about. Altho, this company does the pillow top on both sides so the mattress can be turned. Still, I use really puffy mattress pads and that gives the firmness, but the ahhhh as well.
If something happens to the mattresses, they will replace them for half the price of new. So I get a whole new mattress for 50% off.

GeorgiaGirl said:
We were recommended to stay away from pillow top as they cannot be "flipped" and will get compressions over time. We have Sealy, I belive, a hotel quality. But what makes our beds super is that instead of the pillowtop we were told to get memory foam, which is about 1" thick and put that on top and then the mattress cover. Everyone says the beds are fantastic!
Riki.
I have pillowtop on both sides and they do get flipped. The queen has of course gotten the most use as it is the best room and the largest bed (now the pvt bath also). It has been on that bed since 1996 and I still get "that bed is sooo comfortable, I did not want to get out of it!" Granted it is not being used every night, but after all these years, one would expect it to start having problems. So far, so good.......

I thought with the new mattresses you didn't need to flip them anymore??.
We bought our second one last year and it needs to be flipped.
Riki
We were able to purchase our mattress sets directly from the manufacturer about 40 miles away. They are the exact same mattresses used in the major hotel chains. These mattresses are pillowtop but can't be flipped. We do rotate them periodically. We get the same kind of comments that the beds are soooooooo comfortable etc.
We saw an interesting program the other night: Penn & Teller's BS on Showtime. The program attempts to debunk the hype associated with everything in our modern culture. The program the other night was about sleep products, mattresses included.
Nutshell: A higher price does not dictate quality. A higher number of coils doesn't equal more comfort. Memory foam is overhyped because it's very expensive and just adds to the cost. Mattress comfort is subjective.
Now you may or may not agree with those points, but it's food for thought.

I thought with the new mattresses you didn't need to flip them anymore??.
We bought our second one last year and it needs to be flipped.
Riki
We were able to purchase our mattress sets directly from the manufacturer about 40 miles away. They are the exact same mattresses used in the major hotel chains. These mattresses are pillowtop but can't be flipped. We do rotate them periodically. We get the same kind of comments that the beds are soooooooo comfortable etc.
We saw an interesting program the other night: Penn & Teller's BS on Showtime. The program attempts to debunk the hype associated with everything in our modern culture. The program the other night was about sleep products, mattresses included.
Nutshell: A higher price does not dictate quality. A higher number of coils doesn't equal more comfort. Memory foam is overhyped because it's very expensive and just adds to the cost. Mattress comfort is subjective.
Now you may or may not agree with those points, but it's food for thought.
Proud Texan said:
I agree with the synopsis. We've had plenty of guests tell us these are the most comfortable mattresses ever. And they say that about the brand new ones AND the ones that we haven't yet replaced which are definitely not new. Other guests have written (but not said in person) that the beds are uncomfortable. So it IS subjective.
One point, tho. My friend bought all her bedding from BJ's and it has not held up at all. In year 4 she is having to replace the sets. So you do need to pay attention to who is making the product and why the price is so low. Is it because they are overstocked or because they were built poorly to start.

We bought ours from an Amish mattress manufacturer. That is, they don't have a phone, don't deliver, and make great mattresses at decent prices. They are pillowtop on both sides so they can be flipped. But as flipping a king sized mattress doesn't happen very often it's a good thing that so far they haven't seem to have needed it!
=)
Kk.

Wow, the Amish are in the mattress business now? How does it compare to ones from companies like Simmons?

Back