May have to change my handle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
I've never assumed anything on this website was secure, and always was aware anything was searchable.
But on the new website (which I love!) I notice that anyone can just get on and read the threads without logging in.

It was always kind of iffy to use our inn's name in my login, but wondering if given this change if I should change my handle. Thoughts?

I think anyone could always see all the posts without logging in, for what it's worth. Logging in made your unreads go to read, and so on. More for your own sake than for privacy.

What muirford said — it’s always been readable. And it’s highly searchable. It’s why most of us are incognito. (Including the person who’s known as ‘inncognito’!)

I assume that anyone can read anything. Change your name.... you shouldn't have your comments connected to your inn. You have a right to personal info. Or create a new account.

...send me a message with the new name you want. It is true that we can’t change our own names in this system.

Glad you can get it changed "behind the scenes". It has been fairly common over the years that newbies use their real name when they join, then later realize it's an open forum and they should have been incognito.

My sister had a saying: "Never write anything down you don't want printed on the front page of the New York Times."

So while hiding behind a unique name and avatar helps protect your identity, never assume it protects you from libel and a defamation lawsuit. Furthermore, I figured out who many of you are in a couple of minutes of searching one time based on things you'd written. It's why I don't bother to hide my identity ;-)

Back