Maybe it's all in the sales pitch...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Last week I made an egg casserole that is typically a real favorite. It's veggies, cottage and chedder cheese with just enough flour/baking powder to make it puff up. I served it as a "veggie, egg and cheese casserole" with a fruit muffin. So many plates came back, I was miffed because it is usually very well received and it is a bit labor intensive for me to make so I don't appreciate it being wasted. Whole pieces were coming back untasted which REALLY gets my goat.
I served it again today and called it a "cheesy egg casserole that's got a little bit of fresh zucchini and green pepper in it". Every plate came back totally clean. So, totally different group of people with maybe different tastes...but this is how I'm going to describe it from now on!

Absolutely. We've found the same thing. We no longer use 'quiche' because that came back all the time. Or, I got, 'No thanks, I'll just have toast.'
Egg pie gets eaten.

Yes my dear, you just answered the 100,000 dollar question. The reason companies pay big bucks to marketing firms.
In fact I find if you add the B&B name to the front they will like it even more, it will be the specialty of the house, ex: "Gastonia House B&B Cheese Bake"
Anything that says veggie in it will not be my choice either, although I love veggies and eat them at nearly every meal. For some reason it translates to the word "bland" in my vernacular.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet; Juliet[/COLOR]

yup and it depends on the people eating it too...its just weird it really makes me MAD, but what you gonna do our dogs used to LOVE when we had guests cause they would eat good, all leftovers went to them and they would grow fat and happy spring-fall...

I just hate it when something comes back and they haven't even taken a bite out of it to taste it!
I think JB is right about making a dish special by adding the b&b's name to it. Ohhh...it's the special of the house, it MUST be wonderful.

My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back.

Yes my dear, you just answered the 100,000 dollar question. The reason companies pay big bucks to marketing firms.
In fact I find if you add the B&B name to the front they will like it even more, it will be the specialty of the house, ex: "Gastonia House B&B Cheese Bake"
Anything that says veggie in it will not be my choice either, although I love veggies and eat them at nearly every meal. For some reason it translates to the word "bland" in my vernacular.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet; Juliet[/COLOR].
Joey Bloggs said:
Bingo.

My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back..
NW Natterbug said:
My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back.
I understand why you would do this but I'm leery of serving a guest something they may be allergic to that they weren't expecting to be in their breakfast. (I say this because I had that happen to me several times at a B&B. Even after the innkeepers knew I couldn't eat zucchini, they served it to me twice again.)
I don't run down the entire list of ingredients, but I do mention cheese, eggs and whatever filling there is- mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, etc.

My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back..
NW Natterbug said:
I understand why you would do this but I'm leery of serving a guest something they may be allergic to that they weren't expecting to be in their breakfast. (I say this because I had that happen to me several times at a B&B. Even after the innkeepers knew I couldn't eat zucchini, they served it to me twice again.)
I don't run down the entire list of ingredients, but I do mention cheese, eggs and whatever filling there is- mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, etc.
Alibi Ike said:
NW Natterbug said:
and as we say, they can put on their big girl panties. I have a bad allergy, as does DH, we can ask if we are suspect, but we are not going to ask anyone to list ingreidents or share all that is in something. The ONLY time I would do this is if someone made something specifically for me, then I don't want them to waste it.
LET THEM EAT CAKE!

Absolutely. We've found the same thing. We no longer use 'quiche' because that came back all the time. Or, I got, 'No thanks, I'll just have toast.'
Egg pie gets eaten..
Around here.. egg pie would get funny looks... one of my best reviews in one of the big books specifically mention my vegetable quiche.
Then again, maybe it's because people want "French" things around here... as if we are freaking FRANCE.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Around here.. egg pie would get funny looks... one of my best reviews in one of the big books specifically mention my vegetable quiche.
Then again, maybe it's because people want "French" things around here... as if we are freaking FRANCE.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I think that has a lot to do with it.
We want to try the crepes thing again, hopefully with more success, but we'll be calling them ployes, like the spouse's mom does.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We want to try the crepes thing again, hopefully with more success, but we'll be calling them ployes, like the spouse's mom does.
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Again, back to the cooks choice thing, I don't announce it, I don't forwarn, I just put it before them or deliver it to their room! VOILA!
Although there is an innkeeper I know who has a swamp-pie or something similar in name as they are near a famous swamp, I think if I was near something like that I would alter the names of EVERY DISH! Just to make it more fun.
I just saw the special of the week on the Hardy's billboard "Bologna biscuit" mm mm good. I call those the hillbilly philly. Not that I make or serve them to guests, but that is what I personally call them.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Put something near the end, fold it over, fold over the ends and roll and it's a blintz.
Ployes are Acadian, no? Thicker.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Again, back to the cooks choice thing, I don't announce it, I don't forwarn, I just put it before them or deliver it to their room! VOILA!
Although there is an innkeeper I know who has a swamp-pie or something similar in name as they are near a famous swamp, I think if I was near something like that I would alter the names of EVERY DISH! Just to make it more fun.
I just saw the special of the week on the Hardy's billboard "Bologna biscuit" mm mm good. I call those the hillbilly philly. Not that I make or serve them to guests, but that is what I personally call them.
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't really like to announce, unless I need to know if they want a modified version. DH annoyingly likes to announce, even if he isn't sure.... and then I'm the bad guy who has to fix it.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Put something near the end, fold it over, fold over the ends and roll and it's a blintz.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My BIL works at the farm in Maine where the majority of ployes (sp) mixes are made. We get a bag every year. We barely ever eat a bag worth per year...can you say 'overstock'? :)

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Ployes, the way I've had them are thin. Like crepes. Buckwheat. And, yes, Acadian. They're from NB. (The family, not the ployes. The ployes mix is from northern Maine.)

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My BIL works at the farm in Maine where the majority of ployes (sp) mixes are made. We get a bag every year. We barely ever eat a bag worth per year...can you say 'overstock'? :)
Penelope said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
A bag? Like 1.5 lbs? Or 3 lbs? I can go through that in a week and a half. Heck, I just bought eggs....a dozen and a half............................ CARTONS, on Thursday.

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Ployes, the way I've had them are thin. Like crepes. Buckwheat. And, yes, Acadian. They're from NB. (The family, not the ployes. The ployes mix is from northern Maine.)
Alibi Ike said:
Fort Kent
BTW- What is the singular of ployes? Ploye? Inquiring minds want to know!

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Penelope said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
A bag? Like 1.5 lbs? Or 3 lbs? I can go through that in a week and a half. Heck, I just bought eggs....a dozen and a half............................ CARTONS, on Thursday.
I'm not an innkeeper- it's just me and my family...

Egg pie gets eaten..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Fort Kent
Penelope said:
Why would you want just one? ;)

Back