Maybe it's all in the sales pitch...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. We've found the same thing. We no longer use 'quiche' because that came back all the time. Or, I got, 'No thanks, I'll just have toast.'
Egg pie gets eaten..
Around here.. egg pie would get funny looks... one of my best reviews in one of the big books specifically mention my vegetable quiche.
Then again, maybe it's because people want "French" things around here... as if we are freaking FRANCE.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Then again, maybe it's because people want "French" things around here... as if we are freaking FRANCE.
I think that has a lot to do with it.
We want to try the crepes thing again, hopefully with more success, but we'll be calling them ployes, like the spouse's mom does.
Put something near the end, fold it over, fold over the ends and roll and it's a blintz.
Ployes are Acadian, no? Thicker.
Ployes, the way I've had them are thin. Like crepes. Buckwheat. And, yes, Acadian. They're from NB. (The family, not the ployes. The ployes mix is from northern Maine.)
Alibi Ike said:
Ployes, the way I've had them are thin. Like crepes. Buckwheat. And, yes, Acadian. They're from NB. (The family, not the ployes. The ployes mix is from northern Maine.)
Fort Kent
BTW- What is the singular of ployes? Ploye? Inquiring minds want to know!
Penelope said:
Fort Kent
My BIL was born there. Nearest hospital to where my in laws lived in Canada.

My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back..
NW Natterbug said:
My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back.
I understand why you would do this but I'm leery of serving a guest something they may be allergic to that they weren't expecting to be in their breakfast. (I say this because I had that happen to me several times at a B&B. Even after the innkeepers knew I couldn't eat zucchini, they served it to me twice again.)
I don't run down the entire list of ingredients, but I do mention cheese, eggs and whatever filling there is- mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, etc.
Good point. I always ask when they book, but will never forget the look of horror on one guest's face when a tomato slice was on her plate, nope, I wasnt' told in advance.

My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back..
NW Natterbug said:
My husband told me to leave the zucchini out of the description of the zucchini/mushroom/extra sharp cheddar omlette. Now I just say 'mushroom/cheese'. Either way, clean plates come back.
I understand why you would do this but I'm leery of serving a guest something they may be allergic to that they weren't expecting to be in their breakfast. (I say this because I had that happen to me several times at a B&B. Even after the innkeepers knew I couldn't eat zucchini, they served it to me twice again.)
I don't run down the entire list of ingredients, but I do mention cheese, eggs and whatever filling there is- mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, etc.
Good point. I always ask when they book, but will never forget the look of horror on one guest's face when a tomato slice was on her plate, nope, I wasnt' told in advance.
We don't usually mention the 'garnish' because it can just be picked off and put in the empty fruit dish. I am amazed by the guests who won't actually DO that. They give back the plate and tell me to bring it back without the offending item.
Fine, but I'm just gonna stand in the kitchen, scrape it into the trash and come right back with the same plate.
Now that I'm thinking about it, if it's easy, maybe I'll just grab a fork from another place setting and spear it right off the plate.
I am now baking 2 breakfast cakes because we always make enough for the number of guests in the house (and a couple for the cook!) and I am almost sure I'll be throwing a lot of it out tomorrow.
Yankee Frugal Cake. (My own name for it since we're making up dish names here.)

NW Natterbug said:
NW Natterbug said:
Stop! Oh man this is so funny. The horror of a tomato slice, if this the first time these people have ever left their home?
kt-01.jpg

killtomatoattack.jpg

attack_of_the_killer_tomato.jpg

NW Natterbug said:
NW Natterbug said:
Stop! Oh man this is so funny. The horror of a tomato slice, if this the first time these people have ever left their home?
kt-01.jpg

killtomatoattack.jpg

I forgot about that movie! Perfect.

NW Natterbug said:
NW Natterbug said:
kt-01.jpg

killtomatoattack.jpg

I should have slid her that DVD under her door.
devil_smile.gif

Back