Mean townies!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
a couple days ago i asked you for advice about bring a dessert to a pot luck dessert buffet.
today i received what felt to me like a dare ... or something ...
what was said was
'We are all expecting something SPECIAL from you at the buffet table since you are supposed to be such a great cook and you made SUCH great food at your b&b ... although what can an innkeeper cook besides breakfast? Right?'
and it was said with a sneer and a laugh by one woman with two other women grinning not nicely at all. ????? and then they flounced, yes 'flounced', away.
i hadn't planned on bringing anything 'special'. i hardly know these women and am not even sure of their names. i don't know anyone here, haven't told anyone what i used to do, and i thought it would be a good way to meet people and get involved. all i can think is that one elderly lady who lives in town and happened to stay with me once talked me up. but she tends to brag about everyone and everything. her grandson is the smartest baby, silly things like that. and she isn't even going to this thing ... she's away. i didn't think of it at the time to ask who had told them about me ... i just stood there, stunned really.
jeez, almost makes me not want to go! i didn't expect there to be a clique or judgment of what people bring! small town politics? i just wanted to help, not run the show.
part of me wants to WOW them, part of me says to heck with them maybe i'll bring a box of graham crackers ... stale ones.

Oh. My. Gawd.
What a bunch of meanies.
Wow them, Seashanty. You surely can.
Small town politics can be really tough. But you can rise above it.
Everything they're saying screams of jealousy. Show them they have good damn reason to be jealous.

Ya know what I always bring and get raised brows and am the only one to bring it? Always the only one...a fruit platter. Yes, a fruit platter. Wedge honeydew melon slices, cut the strawberries in fans or pile them up in the center, or the canteloupe into a bowl, grapes in clusters, kiwis in halves or pieces, or use a pineapple as the center piece or wedge them, or halve a watermelon...cascade the fruit all over the place, pour a bucket of blueberries over it. There is nothing better as a dessert, nothing prettier as the color will knock your socks off!
This is always much different to a 'fruit salad' someone else might bring, but trust me they will never think of doing this. Get the biggest platter you can find and go to town!
chef.gif
Make them EAT THEIR WORDS! We know you can.

Ya know what I always bring and get raised brows and am the only one to bring it? Always the only one...a fruit platter. Yes, a fruit platter. Wedge honeydew melon slices, cut the strawberries in fans or pile them up in the center, or the canteloupe into a bowl, grapes in clusters, kiwis in halves or pieces, or use a pineapple as the center piece or wedge them, or halve a watermelon...cascade the fruit all over the place, pour a bucket of blueberries over it. There is nothing better as a dessert, nothing prettier as the color will knock your socks off!
This is always much different to a 'fruit salad' someone else might bring, but trust me they will never think of doing this. Get the biggest platter you can find and go to town!
chef.gif
Make them EAT THEIR WORDS! We know you can..
Joey Bloggs said:
chef.gif
Make them EAT THEIR WORDS! We know you can.
Agreed.
There is absolutely nothing more stunning that a fabulous fruit platter. And it's the last thing they'd expect.

What absolute (******) (you get the idea! I do a fab breakfast but otherwise cannot cook for toffee. you are under no obligation to do anything for people as rude as that! Do what you feel but don't spend more time or effort than you are comfortable with.

What absolute (******) (you get the idea! I do a fab breakfast but otherwise cannot cook for toffee. you are under no obligation to do anything for people as rude as that! Do what you feel but don't spend more time or effort than you are comfortable with..
Camberley we have a button for that!
potty-mouth.gif

chef.gif
Make them EAT THEIR WORDS! We know you can..
The problem is she does not have a lot of "ready" and fruit is NOT cheap! Honeydew was $3.99 at the produce store yesterday. Strawberries are relatively inexpensive now, but some of that fruit will kill the wallet.
It sounds like time for those mini-cheesecakes - cheesecake is considered not cheap - and give each a button of whipped cream and a strawberry half topper.
OR, take whatever and say, "I just would not want to overshadow what you nice ladies fix."

What a shame. Even though we know it shouldn't, remarks like that always cut to the quick, don't they?
I would just make what you wanted to within your budget and be done with it. You are who you are. And you are GREAT! :)
Funny story...I will never forget the first pot luck supper that I went to here. It was around the holidays and I was supposed to bring a side dish and we didn't even have our range in our kitchen yet. so I brought fresh grilled asparagus and grape tomatos, and slices of the round mozarella cheese. Red, green, and white, right? All garnished with fresh rosemary from my garden. WELL! I heard all kinds of comments as my large tray sat among the mayonnaise infused salads, the cheese slathered veggies, and the mixed salads of veggies from cans. People hadn't seen such a thing! "I've never seen asparagus like that, I usually buy it in a can." "I didn't know that tomatoes could be cooked like that." "What kind of cheese, is THAT??" I didn't know whether to be insulted or what and I felt really sensitive like I'd done something wrong.
Anyhoo, it all got eaten.
Your dessert will be too! :)

Strawberry Icebox Pie
Makes one pie
10 (2 1/2-by-5 inch) graham crackers
1 cup sugar
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (a few whole berries reserved for garnish)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend graham crackers with 2 tablespoons sugar until finely ground; add butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press mixture into the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups strawberries, cornstarch, and salt. Using a potato masher, gently mash strawberries. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until very thick, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Pour into cooled pie crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours (or up to 1 day).
3. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over cream and continue to beat until soft peaks return (do not overbeat). Spread whipped cream over pie, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around edge. Garnish with whole berries.
Source: Martha Stewart Living

Seashanty, we all know you make super cupcakes. Why not make a batch of your best?
I'm sure you have plenty of recipes, but I am a big fan of Smitten Kitchen and have done these potbellies with great success:
Black Bottom Cupcakes
She also has some great pumpkin cupcake recipes with a surprisingly easy rose-inspired frosting.
Whatever you make, though, I'm sure you'll wow them.

Jello in a crab-shaped mold. Sorry the locals were mean Seashanty. :(

Let 'em eat dirt! Recipe here.
I always made this in a plastic beach pail with shovel. Gummy worms in the dirt, plastic flowers 'growing' out the top.
(BTW, Gomez is sympathizing with you and saying you should make whatever you want and to heck with anyone who thinks this is some kind of 'foodie' fest that you're trying to win an award at.)

I always made this in a plastic beach pail with shovel. Gummy worms in the dirt, plastic flowers 'growing' out the top.
(BTW, Gomez is sympathizing with you and saying you should make whatever you want and to heck with anyone who thinks this is some kind of 'foodie' fest that you're trying to win an award at.).
That Gomez does seem to have his finger on the pulse.

(BTW, Gomez is sympathizing with you and saying you should make whatever you want and to heck with anyone who thinks this is some kind of 'foodie' fest that you're trying to win an award at.).
I used to make that for kids' parties. :)

Morticia said:
(BTW, Gomez is sympathizing with you and saying you should make whatever you want and to heck with anyone who thinks this is some kind of 'foodie' fest that you're trying to win an award at.)
This is so appropriate! When they wrinkle their noses at it, just look shocked and say, "Oh! I thought you enjoyed the taste of dirt since you're so good at dishing it out."

Morticia said:
This is so appropriate! When they wrinkle their noses at it, just look shocked and say, "Oh! I thought you enjoyed the taste of dirt since you're so good at dishing it out."
[/quote]
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
LOL
[/quote]
I love it! I also love how when one of us is hurting we all feel the hurt. Hugs to you, now go do what you have to do. You have us bakcing you.
wink_smile.gif

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm sure it's plain jealousy, through and through. I'd stick with the mini-cheesecakes. Everyone loves them, they are easy, and elegant. Hopefully those ladies will see what a gem you are and eat crow.

you guys are a riot! really ... i feel like i'm the new girl at school or something. but these women are in their 40's and 50's! and they wonder why people don't want to join?
i could also do the kitty litter cake complete with poo ...
which is actually little tootsie rolls softened in the microwave. it's a 'trick' on halloween ... more of a prank than a cake although it does taste good if you can get past the YUCK factor.
kittylittercake.jpg

you guys are a riot! really ... i feel like i'm the new girl at school or something. but these women are in their 40's and 50's! and they wonder why people don't want to join?
which is actually little tootsie rolls softened in the microwave. it's a 'trick' on halloween ... more of a prank than a cake although it does taste good if you can get past the YUCK factor.
kittylittercake.jpg
Ewwwww. You would definitely be remembered for that dessert, LOL.

kittylittercake.jpg
OK, that beats dirt!

Back