Meeting the innmates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody here near Sedona, Arizona? We're heading that way in September.

I have a 3 hour layover at the Atlanta Airport on a very auspicious day - Friday, April 13th. It worked for my cousin - she is leaving town on the 12th, so we will not be able to get together. I have no clue where many are (and I know it is an imposition to go to the airport). A niece getting married in Vegas got me sprung from DH for a few days! And a high school classmate has volunteered to meet me at the airport in Vegas and take me to my hotel. I have not seen him since graduation - Facebook does wonders - so I sent a photo and told him I am still fat. I need to study Facebook to see how HE has changed so i can recognize him.

We're meeting an innmate coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed she doesn't run screaming when she realizes we really ARE like that!.
Madeleine said:
We're meeting an innmate coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed she doesn't run screaming when she realizes we really ARE like that!
Let's hope it goes well. Just today I was reading the book Jackhammered by Ed Bethune, who was born in my town and went on to become a marine, FBI agent, lawyer, and US congressman. He tells of a B&B he and his wife stayed in on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in the 1980's:
We caught the Caledonian MacBrayne ferryboat, and in less than thirty minutes we were on Skye looking for the B&B opeator we had called earlier to arrange a room for the night.
She, plumpish and red-faced, spotted us and waved us over to a tiny, two-door, beat-up economy car. It would have been a challenge to get in the car if it had been empty, but there were two big dogs in it, barking and jumping from the front seat to the back. We were not surprised because almost every Scot has a dog or two, and they take them everywhere they go, even into the grocery markets.
We had no choice because it was late in the day and we needed a place to sleep. We climbed in with the dogs, the fleshy woman, the smell, and the dog hairs and set off for her place in Armadale. It turned out that the B&B she advertised was nothing more than an extra bedroom in her small house. Lana and I gave each other a familiar look of resignation; it was another chance for us to follow G. K. Chesterton's council: we would rightly consider this inconvenience, thus turning it into an adventure. We managed to sleep, but our adventure ended abruptly at breakfast. Our hostess fed the dogs and us at the same time, their bowls being in the breakfast room. We ate a piece of toast, pulled on our backpacks, bid the dogs and the woman goodbye, and hiked to the Clan Donald Center.
Sounds like the B&B (which is no longer) that had the two terriers in the kitchen behind a half door - leaping and lunching at the door and barking throughout breakfast. For those who think "a dog" in the kitchen mught be a bit freaky, all I could imagine was that terrier x 2 wirey hair going airborne and into my food...
Life is an adventure, that is true.
Joey Bloggs said:
Sounds like the B&B (which is no longer) that had the two terriers in the kitchen behind a half door - leaping and lunching at the door and barking throughout breakfast. For those who think "a dog" in the kitchen mught be a bit freaky, all I could imagine was that terrier x 2 wirey hair going airborne and into my food...
Don't get me started on inn pets in the food prep area or in the dining room begging while I'm trying to eat. And the innkeepers just laughing and thinking this is cute. NO, your dog is NOT cute in the dining room. Nor is your cat. Or your birds. Or hamsters. Or any pet that is giving off hair, noise or smell.
And heaven help you if you say anything! 'No one else has ever complained about Barkster.'
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don't get me started on inn pets in the food prep area or in the dining room begging while I'm trying to eat. And the innkeepers just laughing and thinking this is cute. NO, your dog is NOT cute in the dining room. Nor is your cat. Or your birds. Or hamsters. Or any pet that is giving off hair, noise or smell.
And heaven help you if you say anything! 'No one else has ever complained about Barkster.'
and no one else's babies are cute. I read that the other day someone said they always had the little old ladies smiling at their babies and toddlers and thought they must really love kids. But in reality they are smiling because theirs are grown.
tounge_smile.gif

I actually like most animals, but not in the kitchen staring at me or barking and jumping.
Now THIS is cute:
92464598568927296_jCqttsM0_f.jpg

125397170844079656_TtzAGfiL_f.jpg

THAT is adorable....
teeth_smile.gif

We're meeting an innmate coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed she doesn't run screaming when she realizes we really ARE like that!.
Madeleine said:
We're meeting an innmate coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed she doesn't run screaming when she realizes we really ARE like that!
Let's hope it goes well. Just today I was reading the book Jackhammered by Ed Bethune, who was born in my town and went on to become a marine, FBI agent, lawyer, and US congressman. He tells of a B&B he and his wife stayed in on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in the 1980's:
We caught the Caledonian MacBrayne ferryboat, and in less than thirty minutes we were on Skye looking for the B&B opeator we had called earlier to arrange a room for the night.
She, plumpish and red-faced, spotted us and waved us over to a tiny, two-door, beat-up economy car. It would have been a challenge to get in the car if it had been empty, but there were two big dogs in it, barking and jumping from the front seat to the back. We were not surprised because almost every Scot has a dog or two, and they take them everywhere they go, even into the grocery markets.
We had no choice because it was late in the day and we needed a place to sleep. We climbed in with the dogs, the fleshy woman, the smell, and the dog hairs and set off for her place in Armadale. It turned out that the B&B she advertised was nothing more than an extra bedroom in her small house. Lana and I gave each other a familiar look of resignation; it was another chance for us to follow G. K. Chesterton's council: we would rightly consider this inconvenience, thus turning it into an adventure. We managed to sleep, but our adventure ended abruptly at breakfast. Our hostess fed the dogs and us at the same time, their bowls being in the breakfast room. We ate a piece of toast, pulled on our backpacks, bid the dogs and the woman goodbye, and hiked to the Clan Donald Center.
You know... we're trying to figure out how to get guests from the train station to the inn. Given that most driving guests show up in an SUV, I have my doubts they will ever be able to fit themselves and their bags into my wee, little car. In spite of the 4 doors and wayback with hatch.
have you made sure you are insured?

Madeleine said:
You know... we're trying to figure out how to get guests from the train station to the inn. Given that most driving guests show up in an SUV, I have my doubts they will ever be able to fit themselves and their bags into my wee, little car. In spite of the 4 doors and wayback with hatch.
We're not going to do it. Driving guests around requires a chauffeur's license and all the extra insurance. Plus, the car has to be clean all the time!
wink_smile.gif

Can we have a list of all B&Bs & their owners/innkeepers on this forum as a stciky post, old as well as new? Would help to quickly check who is located where!

Can we have a list of all B&Bs & their owners/innkeepers on this forum as a stciky post, old as well as new? Would help to quickly check who is located where!.
Sorry many here want to remain anonymous..for obvious reasons....no one but owner knows who everyone is and where they are. Some reveal who they are and their locations but it is up to each person.

Can we have a list of all B&Bs & their owners/innkeepers on this forum as a stciky post, old as well as new? Would help to quickly check who is located where!.
We just say where we will be and anyone in that area chimes in with - I am there, either on the Forum or via e-mail.

if they dont post their inn and url on their id then they obv dont want to.
SIDE NOTE: This is for the innmate i am going to meet wednesday... i am enroute, same time as discussed, you know the place. am at james river on an air card right now w the worst slowest connx, so sorry to be brief. please call the cell ph # if you cannot make it, otherwise see you soon!! :) JB

SIDE NOTE: This is for the innmate i am going to meet wednesday... i am enroute, same time as discussed, you know the place. am at james river on an air card right now w the worst slowest connx, so sorry to be brief. please call the cell ph # if you cannot make it, otherwise see you soon!! :) JB.
Looking forward to it! See you soon! So now you all know who the inn mate is :)

SIDE NOTE: This is for the innmate i am going to meet wednesday... i am enroute, same time as discussed, you know the place. am at james river on an air card right now w the worst slowest connx, so sorry to be brief. please call the cell ph # if you cannot make it, otherwise see you soon!! :) JB.
I think we all guessed it was you!

I'm going to WA (olympic penn) in June!!! Any innmates on here who are out there?

Have a good visit, y'all! I'm currently up in DC area but no time to get together with anyone. Although I'm almost within walking distance of our inn-mate here on the forum in Annapolis.
regular_smile.gif

Got an innmate here right now! (And she hasn't run screaming, either!)
We're going to try to go meet up with some other innmates, if they're around this week.

We're going to try to go meet up with some other innmates, if they're around this week..
This innmate is enjoying the b&b experience. So far I've talked Maddie's ear off and she has graciously listened. I'm definitely getting the "royal" treatment. Thanks Maddie

We're going to try to go meet up with some other innmates, if they're around this week..
This innmate is enjoying the b&b experience. So far I've talked Maddie's ear off and she has graciously listened. I'm definitely getting the "royal" treatment. Thanks Maddie
I am jealous!!

Innkeep said:
You talked Maddie's ear off? Aw come on...
Have fun dude, I mean that in the most royal way possible. :)
PS I never updated my visit meeting an innmate and yet another innmate (which was a surprise to innmate #1) and they both pulled in at the same time. It was loverly...good to meet these cyperspace friends at last! Innmate #1's spouse grew up in the same town I lived in long long ago - where my sister was born and I went to Kindie. He was actually born in a hospital 1 mile from my house (during my elementary and teen years).

Innkeep said:
You talked Maddie's ear off? Aw come on...
Have fun dude, I mean that in the most royal way possible. :)
PS I never updated my visit meeting an innmate and yet another innmate (which was a surprise to innmate #1) and they both pulled in at the same time. It was loverly...good to meet these cyperspace friends at last! Innmate #1's spouse grew up in the same town I lived in long long ago - where my sister was born and I went to Kindie. He was actually born in a hospital 1 mile from my house (during my elementary and teen years).
Oh we certainly enjoyed our day out with you as well. Such fun to finally meet and also be surprised. Small world isn't it?

I'm hoping to go to Maine and Nova Scotia in July.... Hopefully I can meet a couple of innmates, too!
=)
Kk.

Back