Mending

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Why don't we ever talk about mending?
And how am I ever going to get all this mending done?
=)
Kk.

I have over a mile of fence to mend. That's probably not going to happen.

I have over a mile of fence to mend. That's probably not going to happen..
literally or figuratively
teeth_smile.gif

Meding buttons on clothes, and mending the damask napkins we use for breakfast and for the cheese plates and lunch on the wine tours. It's worth it to me as it's part of what makes our service special to our guests. I find them in antique stores all the time.
Riki

I have over a mile of fence to mend. That's probably not going to happen..
teeth_smile.gif

The Tipsy Butler said:
teeth_smile.gif
Unfortunately, literally. |------|------|------/------|
We too have those kind of fences to mend.
Our local farmers don't believe in fixing fences until the cows break through!!! And that happened early this fall!!! Thankfully they didn't come into our yard. It was fun watching them use their trucks to "round up" the cows. They then took them off to their farm down the road.
Unfortunately one little newborn was hiding...and was left behind. They didn't know it. I saw the baby a day later and let the farmer know about him... they finally got him a day later. I felt so bad for the baby out there all by himself crying for his mama. But he was a feisty one and hung on by himself.
My DH mended the fences on our property himself. He wasn't waiting for the farmer to fix them.

MENDING???? What's that???? Who mends anymore??? What would you be mending at the B & B?
OR are you talking about your own personal clothing etc.
Most people just go out and buy new? Heck if I have a button come off a shirt these days...my tendency is to toss it.....but I don't...I actually do find a needle and thread and sew it back on....but it might take a few weeks
confused_smile.gif

I am dubious anyone under age 30 even knows what mending is let alone how to do it :-(

MENDING???? What's that???? Who mends anymore??? What would you be mending at the B & B?
Most people just go out and buy new? Heck if I have a button come off a shirt these days...my tendency is to toss it.....but I don't...I actually do find a needle and thread and sew it back on....but it might take a few weeks
confused_smile.gif

I am dubious anyone under age 30 even knows what mending is let alone how to do it :-(.
catlady said:
I am dubious anyone under age 30 even knows what mending is let alone how to do it :-(
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

I've had my own sewing machine since I was a teenager (had to share before that) and make some of my own clothing, upholstery, linens, etc. Sometimes I even re-use fabric from clothes I've outgrown or gotten sick of. Mending's not nearly as fun, and I have an accumulating pile to do, but I'm not too bad at it!

confused_smile.gif

I am dubious anyone under age 30 even knows what mending is let alone how to do it :-(.
catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

I've had my own sewing machine since I was a teenager (had to share before that) and make some of my own clothing, upholstery, linens, etc. Sometimes I even re-use fabric from clothes I've outgrown or gotten sick of. Mending's not nearly as fun, and I have an accumulating pile to do, but I'm not too bad at it!
Ok...sorry..maybe under 20 then....but I believe you are in the minority. :)

I have to mend the quilted bedspreads occassionally, not going to throw them away over a loose seam!

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

Hehe. DH just said "What's mending?" HE's the one who used to buy new shirts instead of doing laundry.
Fine, you're probably right. But you know one person. Don't lose hope in all of us!

I have to mend the quilted bedspreads occassionally, not going to throw them away over a loose seam!.
See ....that is what I was asking...what needs mending in a B & B?
Fortunately, I never had any ripped quilts etc. I guess I liked changing them up more often and they really never got that worn.
If towels are frayed, they went to the rag pile..and new ones purchased.
My placemats and napkins usually were faded before they needed any mending and so they were replaced.
Never had any sheets torn either...but again, replaced faded ones.

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

Hehe. DH just said "What's mending?" HE's the one who used to buy new shirts instead of doing laundry.
Fine, you're probably right. But you know one person. Don't lose hope in all of us!
Yep... I know..I have several nephews..who just buy new underwear if they haven't done the laundry:)
I do know a few more "30 somethings" that can "mend and sew"....I taught many of them myself as a Home Ec teacher and in 4-H...:)

Frayed wash cloths & towels move downstairs. I mended my terry bathrobes for years - torn loops, facings working loose. They were still good enough to pass on to someone else when I got my new Suite Repose robes.
I darned socks for DH for years. It got so he was getting darns on the darn darns before the socks became polishing rags. Being the ultimate procrastinator I manage to put off as long as possible.........
And I long ago learned the value of a mended fence - even when I felt I was the one the fence landed on,. Many times it is not who mended it but that the fence got mended that is important.
Back to the mending pile. DH just told me he has some things that need......

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

stephanie said:
You know two people actually. Add me to the list who would rather mend and sew than buy brand new. I'm only one year off the 30 mark

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

I've got a pile to do to.
cry_smile.gif

It is much more fun to make new stuff than fix the old.
wink_smile.gif
I had my DH get me a sewing machine a few years back for Christmas.
BTW - I'm not 30 yet....though my DH turns 30 today.
cheers.gif

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif

Happy Birthday to him!!!

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Hey, watch it!
tounge_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif

cherry64 said:
cry_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif
WIsh him a happy birthday for us!

i am a spoiled brat ... not really. my mom always mended our things when i was growing up. and then, when i became a mom, she was not able to get out and about much and would say 'do you need anything mended? bring it over ... i need something to do' shortsighted of me ... i never asked her to teach me how to do the mending myself. i would bring over whatever and she would happily make it right.
she's gone now and all that talent with her. so unless it's a quick stitch or a patch (or the stuff you iron on), torn things go in the rag bag unless someone else wants them. once in a while, i've made sheets into pillow cases or curtains, things like that. but ... no mending here.
embaressed_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif
how about hosting a mending class?? in your 'spare' time of course.

confused_smile.gif

I'm with you. I sew on buttons and maybe do hems (if the local seamstress is busy). I've hated sewing from the get go and do not do it. My husband does more mending than me. He fixes his own clothing tears, etc.

Back