Merchant statement

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Any idea what this is? First time seeing it on my merchant statement (cc processor)
mc cross-border fee .55
I will give them a call, but wondered if anyone had this or knew what it was?

i got thru without waiting, it is the same as the non-qualified interchange fee, just diff working, it means those extras the guest gets back on the PROMOTION (ie miles, or rewards). Same thing.
Which if anyone is new doesn't know, WE GET TO PAY FOR as the vendor, the guests gets the points, we pay for those points.

i got thru without waiting, it is the same as the non-qualified interchange fee, just diff working, it means those extras the guest gets back on the PROMOTION (ie miles, or rewards). Same thing.
Which if anyone is new doesn't know, WE GET TO PAY FOR as the vendor, the guests gets the points, we pay for those points..
WHAT??! The vendor pays that? That's ridiculous!!!! I would think the offering credit card company paid that, I'm shocked!

Which if anyone is new doesn't know, WE GET TO PAY FOR as the vendor, the guests gets the points, we pay for those points..
WHAT??! The vendor pays that? That's ridiculous!!!! I would think the offering credit card company paid that, I'm shocked!
Now you know - almost any affinity card with reward points or cash back is charged to the merchant at a higher processing rate than non-affinity cards. That's why many don't take Discover. Unfortunately, the branded Visa and MCs are everywhere so there is no escaping them.

Now you know - almost any affinity card with reward points or cash back is charged to the merchant at a higher processing rate than non-affinity cards. That's why many don't take Discover. Unfortunately, the branded Visa and MCs are everywhere so there is no escaping them.
I always wondered why many merchants don't take Discover.
I sell some on Ebay and take mostly Paypal payments and they really rip you off on fees too! I don't know how much more (or less) than someone like you pays, but Paypal charges 2.9% +.30 cents per transaction.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Oh you didn't know that?
IFfI take Discover, which I don't like to, they are always jumping for joy at their points. I tell them ENJOY IT. Many do not know it is US paying for it.
That is why we had the discussion of offering a discount for cash, not a penalty for ccards.
Credit card companies do not pay for anything, you already knew that, it just wasn't clear in your mind til now.

I sell some on Ebay and take mostly Paypal payments and they really rip you off on fees too! I don't know how much more (or less) than someone like you pays, but Paypal charges 2.9% +.30 cents per transaction.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
We pay that and then some. W ehave to pay the monthly fee for the machine to have it plugged in, we pay $5 a monht, whether we useit or not. Plus the "discount" which is the % you mentioned 2.9%, plus these non qualified interchange fees (points/miles), which can really add up. On a couple cards mine were a hefty $ amount for the month.
But this is why I put everything on my visa. I just redeemed my $15,000 points for $75 cash. I decided to haev the check mailed to me so I can use it to go out and eat or something, instead of throwing it back on the credit card, which is what I usually do.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Oh you didn't know that?
IFfI take Discover, which I don't like to, they are always jumping for joy at their points. I tell them ENJOY IT. Many do not know it is US paying for it.
That is why we had the discussion of offering a discount for cash, not a penalty for ccards.
Credit card companies do not pay for anything, you already knew that, it just wasn't clear in your mind til now.
I honestly didn't think the merchant taking the credit card was penalized for the consumer using a point/reward card. I always just thought that that was something the CC company did to get you to sign up for their card. I'm amazed, I know I shouldn't be but I am. I guess that makes me feel better when I use my check book at small Mom & Pop stores. I've never received a discount for not using my credit card though....that would be a real bonus!
teeth_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Oh you didn't know that?
I honestly didn't think the merchant taking the credit card was penalized for the consumer using a point/reward card. I always just thought that that was something the CC company did to get you to sign up for their card. I'm amazed, I know I shouldn't be but I am. I guess that makes me feel better when I use my check book at small Mom & Pop stores. I've never received a discount for not using my credit card though....that would be a real bonus!
teeth_smile.gif

From what I understand, if we offer a discount for using cash instead of a credit card, the credit card companies would then drop us.
Riki

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Oh you didn't know that?
teeth_smile.gif

From what I understand, if we offer a discount for using cash instead of a credit card, the credit card companies would then drop us.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
oh I am sure a credit card company would drop us. LOL!

I got charged an additional $6 plus the usual fees because a client 'visa' card was actually a debit card.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
We pay that and then some. W ehave to pay the monthly fee for the machine to have it plugged in, we pay $5 a monht, whether we useit or not. Plus the "discount" which is the % you mentioned 2.9%, plus these non qualified interchange fees (points/miles), which can really add up. On a couple cards mine were a hefty $ amount for the month.
But this is why I put everything on my visa. I just redeemed my $15,000 points for $75 cash. I decided to haev the check mailed to me so I can use it to go out and eat or something, instead of throwing it back on the credit card, which is what I usually do.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Heaven help you if you get a true 'European' cc! That rate is around 5%. I haven't looked at my statement yet for August when we had all those Italians, but I saw a lot of cc's that weren't US banks. And the amount I paid to the processor the other day was close to, if not over $500.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Heaven help you if you get a true 'European' cc! That rate is around 5%. I haven't looked at my statement yet for August when we had all those Italians, but I saw a lot of cc's that weren't US banks. And the amount I paid to the processor the other day was close to, if not over $500.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
!!

I got charged an additional $6 plus the usual fees because a client 'visa' card was actually a debit card..
I thought if the debit card had the Visa logo it didn't matter if you ran it as a credit or debit? CRAZY!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
!!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Exactly. Pay cash. Save the small business owner!

I got charged an additional $6 plus the usual fees because a client 'visa' card was actually a debit card..
I thought if the debit card had the Visa logo it didn't matter if you ran it as a credit or debit? CRAZY!
Nope. You would think that because it's a debit card and the money gets sucked out right away that fees would be less to the merchant, wouldn't you? Nope. I was totally surprised by this. I knew that rewards cards cost us more. Heck, I use mine all the time!

Ultimately the airline makes most of the money on these too... they charge the CC company around one cent per mile..... so $100 transaction, 100 miles, the cc company pays 1% more or less to get them.

Nope. You would think that because it's a debit card and the money gets sucked out right away that fees would be less to the merchant, wouldn't you? Nope. I was totally surprised by this. I knew that rewards cards cost us more. Heck, I use mine all the time!
It also depends (I think) whether you have a pin pad to run it as a debit card. My understanding (I don't have a pin pad) is that if you have a pin pad and if you run it as a debit card and ask the guest to type in their pin number, the fee is less. If you run a debit card as a credit card, the fee is higher.

It also depends (I think) whether you have a pin pad to run it as a debit card. My understanding (I don't have a pin pad) is that if you have a pin pad and if you run it as a debit card and ask the guest to type in their pin number, the fee is less. If you run a debit card as a credit card, the fee is higher.
swirt said:
Which explains why my bank charges me use my card as a debit card, but not as a credit card -- they can make more money from the vendor when I say "credit, please" even though the money is immediately debited from my checking account.

I think you're right. Which is why you're seeing more of the pin pad machines at retail locations also. The infrequent higher fees are probably overall cheaper than getting the pin pad component for me. I don't get that many debit cards here...at least so far in my limited experience.

Back