Merry Christmas!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all!

We’ve survived a tough year. Even those who had their best year ever still had concerns. May you all have a successful year in 2021, no matter how you measure success.

Thank you all for being here, for settling in to our new ‘home,’ for welcoming innkeeping newbies to our little band!

Although he’s not here, thank you to Steve for getting us together in the first place.

Peace, joy, and happiness to all!

Mort

All I can say to that is DITTO!!! Have a joyous Christmas with whoever you are going to be with - even if it is just you. I will raise a glass in toast to all here tomorrow (Christmas day)

Merry Christmas to all!

We’ve survived a tough year. Even those who had their best year ever still had concerns. May you all have a successful year in 2021, no matter how you measure success.

Thank you all for being here, for settling in to our new ‘home,’ for welcoming innkeeping newbies to our little band!

Although he’s not here, thank you to Steve for getting us together in the first place.

Mort

And to you and all

The year, financially strange, but we survived. Socially, well I'm quiet anyway, guests tend to be a large part of the social life normally and not much of that this year. I appreciate my social interaction with my friends here as I enjoy morning coffee each day. This year makes one feel old and tired.

I had a great and typical Christmas. Guest was gone when the apartment fire alarm went off. I went in the apartment, smoke everywhere. I checked the wood stove (the room has a real wood-burning stove) but it wasn't that. Looked around and finally discovered they had left with a turkey cooking in the oven. Apparently the foil roasting pan they used had a hole in it and the juices were dripping on the floor of the oven and burning/smoking.

I put the turkey and pan on a pizza tray and put it back in the oven, turned on the vent hood, opened the windows (it's only 31F outside) and turned on the ceiling fan. Smoke was cleared out in about 5 minutes, so all is well.

But I've decided to replace the wood burning stoves in the 2 apartments. I get about 2 fire alarms/year from people trying to build a fire and smoking up the place. Enough! I found similar-looking electric stoves on Amazon that are the same size as the wood burners, and are highly rated for having a realistic flame. They are the same height as the wood burners, so the stovepipes I have now will look like they belong to the new stoves.

We'll see. Anything is better than having to supply wood, kindling, lighters, clean the black soot off the inside of the glass stove door, carry out ashes, and worrying about them burning down the building! They are just not worth the trouble!!

Video of the electric stove in operation.

Does it need ventilation?

Grandson has something similar, was a fireplace, that I combined into an entertainment cabinet, generally an electric heater with a very real looking make believe flame. Grandson's could operate as looks only, or an additional switch to add heat (run the heater part).

But I've decided to replace the wood burning stoves in the 2 apartments. I get about 2 fire alarms/year from people trying to build a fire and smoking up the place. Enough! I found similar-looking electric stoves on Amazon that are the same size as the wood burners, and are highly rated for having a realistic flame. They are the same height as the wood burners, so the stovepipes I have now will look like they belong to the new stoves.

We'll see. Anything is better than having to supply wood, kindling, lighters, clean the black soot off the inside of the glass stove door, carry out ashes, and worrying about them burning down the building! They are just not worth the trouble!!

We have had these fireplaces in three of our rooms for at least three years! They look very authentic and work great. In fact, we now use one in our own quarters upstairs and in our kitchen, so we don't have to oil heat this currently COVID empty 5000 sqft house. They come in assorted colors, so they even match rooms decor. Plus they are very reasonably priced. Enjoy!

Does it need ventilation?
No, it's all-electric. But there's already a real stovepipe there from the wood stove, so I'll leave that so it adds to the authentic look of the electric stove.

I had a great and typical Christmas. Guest was gone when the apartment fire alarm went off. I went in the apartment, smoke everywhere. I checked the wood stove (the room has a real wood-burning stove) but it wasn't that. Looked around and finally discovered they had left with a turkey cooking in the oven. Apparently the foil roasting pan they used had a hole in it and the juices were dripping on the floor of the oven and burning/smoking.

I put the turkey and pan on a pizza tray and put it back in the oven, turned on the vent hood, opened the windows (it's only 31F outside) and turned on the ceiling fan. Smoke was cleared out in about 5 minutes, so all is well.

Arks, we have a propane stove in the cottage...looks just like a wood stove but none of the mess or bother. It works manually or with a thermostat...very convenient!

Merry Christmas to all!

Mort
A belated Merry Christmas to all and wishes for a better 2021! Really...we made it through a tough time and are so very grateful to still be standing!

Arks, we have a propane stove in the cottage...looks just like a wood stove but none of the mess or bother. It works manually or with a thermostat...very convenient!
I have gas fireplaces in 3 of my units. I prefer them, but it would be a major expense to get gas piped, in an unobtrusive way, to the locations of the wood stoves, so the electric stove is an easy choice.

Back