Meta Keywords

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
People that have been on here a while have heard me say many times over that Google does not use the Keywords Metatag in any way in regard to ranking or even search terms.
I'm sure some accepted it as fact completely, while others probably were skeptical. Just in case, here is Matt Cutts, software engineer and anti-spam guy at Google committing the "official" answer to video.
It is also interesting that he goes on record to say that the meta - description is not used in ranking (determining rank) even though it is often used as a snippet so it definitely has conversion value.

Thanks for sharing. I have told folks this over and over and they still want keywords. Maybe this will finally end the issue.

Thanks for sharing. I have told folks this over and over and they still want keywords. Maybe this will finally end the issue..
Well the catch is that this is only Google's approach. It is pretty clear that Yahoo doesn't use them ... and likely, time will show that Bing doesn't use them either...but there are other engines...and other parts of the world that may use them. It is probably worth putting a few accurate ones in just to be safe (I do), but not spending more than a few minutes on it.

Thanks for sharing. I have told folks this over and over and they still want keywords. Maybe this will finally end the issue..
Well the catch is that this is only Google's approach. It is pretty clear that Yahoo doesn't use them ... and likely, time will show that Bing doesn't use them either...but there are other engines...and other parts of the world that may use them. It is probably worth putting a few accurate ones in just to be safe (I do), but not spending more than a few minutes on it.
Maybe a few just for "old time sake" :) But I have folks who really fret over this! But as I look at more and more new sites source code, they are totally missing for the most part.

Maybe a few just for "old time sake" :) But I have folks who really fret over this! But as I look at more and more new sites source code, they are totally missing for the most part.
Acorn was one of the last holdouts on keywords and they did a tweet about that blog post from Google today.

this was their tweet:
We teach that Google does not use the Keyword Meta. But not all search engines have taken the same public stance. http://tinyurl.com/m4cjkz
the link is to the video that swirt posted.

Acorn was one of the last holdouts on keywords and they did a tweet about that blog post from Google today.
Of course they would say that. But. who uses anything else but Google and Yahoo...REALLY...Maybe BING as a try it and see...but these are really the only search engines that matter.

Back