Microsoft Access?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
what is microsoft access? does anyone use it ... the way you use excel or word ... by itself? i have office but a search in my computer shows i don't have access as a part of it.
some of the software for inns require it it costs $200 from microsoft. so that bumps the price up for those programs quite a bit.

ACCESS as E. said is a database program. That is why I told you ..you have to have it in order to use INNRESERVE. It only comes with MS OFFICE if you have the PROFESSIONAL version..not the small business version.
I don't know if you can download OPEN OFFICE and use it with InnRESERVE. ...that would be something you would have to ask Jeff...I think that is his name..the guy who developed the program.

Access is a database. You can buy in the OFFICE professional package from Microsoft or by itself. But it is costly to buy it by itself.

You only need Access to run the software we are talking about, which is already designed for a small B&B and easy to use.
It runs all the reports I need and more.
Riki

You only need Access to run the software we are talking about, which is already designed for a small B&B and easy to use.
Riki.
Yes, but if she doesn't have it..it is very expensive to purchase. I used InnReserve because I already had the software. If I did not...I probably would have gone a different route. Maybe SWIRT would know if OPEN OFFICE ACCESS would work. I don't know.

Although I have a systems background, I am at the stage where I like to have the programs written for me and / or integrated into the software package that I purchase. (There's not a huge heck of a lot of reports one needs for a B&B)
I am certain that there are many of you that find access to be a breeze, but for anyone with basic computer skills, or not wanting to have to deal with "another" program that links to your res system, look for one with integrated reporting.

Riki.
Yes, but if she doesn't have it..it is very expensive to purchase. I used InnReserve because I already had the software. If I did not...I probably would have gone a different route. Maybe SWIRT would know if OPEN OFFICE ACCESS would work. I don't know.
To the best of my knowledge, OpenOffice-database can open an access database file and interact with it (read and write data to it). The problem (I think) is that all the commands (macros and scripts) that Innreserve uses are trying to talk to Access (the program) and so it would likely fail to talk to OpenOffice-Base (the program).

Riki.
To the best of my knowledge, OpenOffice-database can open an access database file and interact with it (read and write data to it). The problem (I think) is that all the commands (macros and scripts) that Innreserve uses are trying to talk to Access (the program) and so it would likely fail to talk to OpenOffice-Base (the program).
Also be extremely careful about what you store in access or related DB's. They are not exactly know for data security/hacker-prevention/encryption...

I don't know exactly which features of Access the software you are using requires, but you might try the free Access runtime that is available from Microsoft. It's basically a "viewer" for Access files that allows you to use any forms that are built in to the Access file, but doesn't allow you to actually open the data tables, or modify the forms or reports.
Do a Google search for "Microsoft Access runtime" and you should find it (right now, on my machine, it's the second link). This is a free download from Microsoft. I don't know if it will work for you, but it may be worth a try.

It is mentioned on innreserve website that it supports Microsoft Access 2000. (database delivered originally with 2000 format) Then, why bother with access 2007, even professional ! I went on ebay and found product starting from 1$ up to 70$ . Should probably find this version 2000 around 10$. Don't forget old software costs less with time,not like experience !
Regarding security issues, not really a problem as your database is run locally on your PC (Protection from outside can be achieved by firewall). If security is a real issue for you, your can think about software encryption for all data stored on your PC (That means only the person knowing the password can read information on your PC). But personaly, as the application is not a web application, you should not care about that.
Bruno

I don't know exactly which features of Access the software you are using requires, but you might try the free Access runtime that is available from Microsoft. It's basically a "viewer" for Access files that allows you to use any forms that are built in to the Access file, but doesn't allow you to actually open the data tables, or modify the forms or reports.
Do a Google search for "Microsoft Access runtime" and you should find it (right now, on my machine, it's the second link). This is a free download from Microsoft. I don't know if it will work for you, but it may be worth a try..
That won't work with InnReserve you MUST have an operational ACCESS installed on your computer to use it,.

Riki.
Also be extremely careful about what you store in access or related DB's. They are not exactly know for data security/hacker-prevention/encryption...
that was never an issue for me. As I run the software only locally on one computer and I have firewall on my system and turn it off when not in use.

Riki.
that was never an issue for me. As I run the software only locally on one computer and I have firewall on my system and turn it off when not in use.
Brining this up only for clarification since you and Bonne Adresse both mentioned confidence in a firewall. Firewalls only offer some protection from those trying to break in from the outside. They offer no protection from trojan horses or other data transmitting viruses that operate from within and are trying to send info out. That role lies with anti-virus software. ;)

Riki.
Brining this up only for clarification since you and Bonne Adresse both mentioned confidence in a firewall. Firewalls only offer some protection from those trying to break in from the outside. They offer no protection from trojan horses or other data transmitting viruses that operate from within and are trying to send info out. That role lies with anti-virus software. ;)
Yep - that is for certain. Here is a good read on Firewalls: http://www.itsecurity.com/features/more-secure-firewall-012207/. If your data is on your PC without being encrypted and stored securely in a DB - you are most certainly vulnerable, hardware/software firewall or not. Particularly if you are one of the innkeepers who has free wireless setup at your property - on the same router you use for your main PC... which I've seen quite a few.

Riki.
TOTALLY off topic, but John, how are the little ones doing??

Riki.
Great, thanks! We had a rough night the other night, but it was all my fault. Back on track!!!!

Riki.
Great, thanks! We had a rough night the other night, but it was all my fault. Back on track!!!!
Glad to hear it. They grow so fast. Ask SS what her motto is about her age and the age of her children!

Riki.
Glad to hear it. They grow so fast. Ask SS what her motto is about her age and the age of her children!
I know - she is going to be 4 months old in a week - we can't believe it. At 3 weeks old I thought I would never see the day - but then time starts to fly.

Riki.
I know - she is going to be 4 months old in a week - we can't believe it. At 3 weeks old I thought I would never see the day - but then time starts to fly.
JBanczak said:
Not only does it start to fly, but at some point WE start to get old!!! How does that happen??? :)

Back