Midnight ramblers - what would you have done?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
One night stay who live about an hour away.
They had made a dinner reservation at the best place in town. The place notified them that they were closing for the night. There was a series of thunderstorms and this place does primarily outdoor seating, so it made sense. We recommended another place.
At 11:30, we were woken by the doorbell. She was sick. Blamed the lobster at the place we recommended. They were leaving.
I felt terrible for them that their carefully planned seaside romantic evening was ruined. But not much I could do about it.
My husband charged them for the night but gave them a credit toward another stay.
I thought that was a good move, so they don't give up on us forever. We love 'local' guests.
What would you have done?

I think there's something 'fishy' going on. If indeed she got food poisoning from the lobster, there's no way she would want to be away from a bathroom for even an hour. If you are in the midst of the effects of food poisoning, why wouldn't you just stay and wait it out?

I think there's something 'fishy' going on. If indeed she got food poisoning from the lobster, there's no way she would want to be away from a bathroom for even an hour. If you are in the midst of the effects of food poisoning, why wouldn't you just stay and wait it out?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think there's something 'fishy' going on. If indeed she got food poisoning from the lobster, there's no way she would want to be away from a bathroom for even an hour. If you are in the midst of the effects of food poisoning, why wouldn't you just stay and wait it out?
I wondered about that too. I wouldn't want to be on the road if I were stomach sick. So if they left because they weren't in the mood, we don't lose anything by giving them a voucher for a future stay. I guess. I have never had this happen before.

In my experience "local" guests are more problem than they are worth. Usually always a one night stay and use up all the amenities and take forever to check out. I much prefer guests from far away.

I wouldn't want to be getting sick in someone's lovely b&b ... foolish or not, I'd probably head home ... or maybe to the hospital

I think there's something 'fishy' going on. If indeed she got food poisoning from the lobster, there's no way she would want to be away from a bathroom for even an hour. If you are in the midst of the effects of food poisoning, why wouldn't you just stay and wait it out?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I wondered about that too. I wouldn't want to be on the road if I were stomach sick. So if they left because they weren't in the mood, we don't lose anything by giving them a voucher for a future stay. I guess. I have never had this happen before.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
we don't lose anything by giving them a voucher for a future stay. I guess.
Yes, you do lose. They will be returning and occupying a room that could have been rented for $ unless they come back at a time when there's no chance you'd be full. Folks like this always want to come back during nice weather and a weekend.
You did nothing wrong by recommending a restaurant. If anyone should pony up some freebie, it's the restaurant!

TheBeachHouse said:
My husband charged them for the night but gave them a credit toward another stay.
This makes no sense. The restaurant should be comping them, not you. Just one more obligation on the books.

In my experience "local" guests are more problem than they are worth. Usually always a one night stay and use up all the amenities and take forever to check out. I much prefer guests from far away..
Don't get this logic???
So if people live --> 1 hour away, they are a pain to an innkeeper, but if they stay 8 hours away, they suddenly become reasonable?

Our thought was this, they tried a B&B experience, had a horrible time and left before it was over.
We wanted to invite them back when they could have a better time. If they don't come back, we haven't lost anything. If they do, we are that wonderful place that made everything better.

Our thought was this, they tried a B&B experience, had a horrible time and left before it was over.
We wanted to invite them back when they could have a better time. If they don't come back, we haven't lost anything. If they do, we are that wonderful place that made everything better..
The logic may seem sound, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.
If anything, I would preprint incentive type voucher something like "Good for Sunday night through Wednesday night." As Diva said, they may stay on a nice weekend one night, and cost you someone who might have booked 2-3 days.
I say many times - true business is all about Risk vs. Reward (profit). People understand profit pretty well. But there are all types of small to large risks that wind up costing you money or blowing you up, and people often ignore these.
They may be thinking, "remember when you got sick when we stayed at XYZ???"

We innkeepers live on that fine line that requires us to listen to the situation and find a response that satisfies the business, ourselves, and our guests. While it is easy to say what should be done, it is a delicate dance to pull in all of the nuances that drive you to a balanced decision at that very moment. If my or my husband's intuition had pushed us to offer a credit in those circumstances, we would have done so and never looked back.

We wanted to invite them back when they could have a better time. If they don't come back, we haven't lost anything. If they do, we are that wonderful place that made everything better..
If anything, I would preprint incentive type voucher something like "Good for Sunday night through Wednesday night." As Diva said, they may stay on a nice weekend one night, and cost you someone who might have booked 2-3 days.
I say many times - true business is all about Risk vs. Reward (profit). People understand profit pretty well. But there are all types of small to large risks that wind up costing you money or blowing you up, and people often ignore these.
In some instances, NOT giving that voucher could cost much more in the bad feeling and word of mouth than the potential messing up a longer stay. I have not had problems from local or otherwise except for one boob who id not look at the map to see that he lived as far from event as I did.
Beachie - look at it as having done the right thing - you went with your gut feeling and that is what you should follow.

Beach House I think you did 'the right thing' ... the nice thing ... the smart thing. Your guests' experiences at other places while booked with you reflect on their stay with you ... it doesn't matter if the negative had nothing to do with your b&b. Association is key.
I had guests who booked cruises and fog or rain would make the cruise a no-go. Was it my fault? Of course not. Did the boat line give them vouchers for another time? Yes. And I would add in a discount for them to come and stay another time when they were going on that cruise. Didn't happen that often but one situation comes to mind when the original guests not only re-booked for themselves, they had friends book two other rooms as well (friends stayed at the regular room rate). We were all happy.
On the flip side, guests came and then tried to dine at the popular restaurant nearby. Turns out they were closed for a private party. I would ask that restaurant to please tell me if this was happening and they NEVER would. I'd have to call every few days and check or send someone over to see. Infuriating. They didn't care, they had more patrons than they could handle. Guests would come back all upset that their stay was 'ruined'.
I found another restaurant in the area that was more than willing to give a free drink or dessert to all my guests so I would hurriedly call that place and ask for a table for them right away. Guests would sadly, reluctantly, drive up the hill to the other place - no water view - feeling hugely disappointed. But that other restaurant had such great food, host so gracious, with a freebie added in. Guests very happy with their stay. I recommended the other place first when guests asked, but most of the time guests wanted to stand in line for the waterside eating.
The guests that got these discounts usually became my repeat guests (at the regular rate)

Beach House I think you did 'the right thing' ... the nice thing ... the smart thing. Your guests' experiences at other places while booked with you reflect on their stay with you ... it doesn't matter if the negative had nothing to do with your b&b. Association is key.
I had guests who booked cruises and fog or rain would make the cruise a no-go. Was it my fault? Of course not. Did the boat line give them vouchers for another time? Yes. And I would add in a discount for them to come and stay another time when they were going on that cruise. Didn't happen that often but one situation comes to mind when the original guests not only re-booked for themselves, they had friends book two other rooms as well (friends stayed at the regular room rate). We were all happy.
On the flip side, guests came and then tried to dine at the popular restaurant nearby. Turns out they were closed for a private party. I would ask that restaurant to please tell me if this was happening and they NEVER would. I'd have to call every few days and check or send someone over to see. Infuriating. They didn't care, they had more patrons than they could handle. Guests would come back all upset that their stay was 'ruined'.
I found another restaurant in the area that was more than willing to give a free drink or dessert to all my guests so I would hurriedly call that place and ask for a table for them right away. Guests would sadly, reluctantly, drive up the hill to the other place - no water view - feeling hugely disappointed. But that other restaurant had such great food, host so gracious, with a freebie added in. Guests very happy with their stay. I recommended the other place first when guests asked, but most of the time guests wanted to stand in line for the waterside eating.
The guests that got these discounts usually became my repeat guests (at the regular rate).
good stuff. We would love to have repeat guests from the close by area. I think that would increase our winter revenues.

Beachie, there is no right or wrong way to handle that situation. You have to go by your gut.
You are not responsible for the sickness. It could have been bad food or it could have been too rich for them. Regardless, you are not responsible.
We have done the same as you a few times. It is an act of good will and one that will not be forgotten even if it goes unused.
Not knowing how your voucher is worded, the advice by undersea is valuable. If you are going to offer a voucher for a future stay it needs to come with some restrictions and a time limit in which to use.

Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, you do lose. They will be returning and occupying a room that could have been rented for $ unless they come back at a time when there's no chance you'd be full. Folks like this always want to come back during nice weather and a weekend.
You did nothing wrong by recommending a restaurant. If anyone should pony up some freebie, it's the restaurant!
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
By the way, I'm not saying that you made the wrong decision, we each do what feels right at the moment. What I was saying is that there is a value that you have given.
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
By the way, I'm not saying that you made the wrong decision, we each do what feels right at the moment. What I was saying is that there is a value that you have given.
regular_smile.gif

No issues. I wasn't upset. We are lucky enough that we have a good business and don't have to watch each dollar. We can give discounts when warranted or when it seems to make sense to us.
So we weigh the 'loss' of $50 against the probability of $0 and the possibility of more $ to come in the future if these folks decide they like us after all.
Not to mention the good will we get if they tell the story to their neighbors and friends who also live only an hour away.

A key to success in B&B is handling individual situations so as to make reasonable accommodation to a guest's needs, remaining consistent with good business practice. Figure, the guest is out $$$ and the weekend is a total bummer. I certainly can't refund the room cost, but how can I mitigate?
I would have given full credit as a voucher (not a pre-paid gift card, so can expire) to be applied toward a 2 night or longer stay future stay. He gets use of his money, I get net cash when he returns.
Over my 6 years, we have done this ... maybe a dozen times. Having to leave early or genuine last minute problems get a voucher. About half of the people have come again to stay and have been happy, some are now regular guests.

The guests that got these discounts usually became my repeat guests (at the regular rate).
good stuff. We would love to have repeat guests from the close by area. I think that would increase our winter revenues.
For years now, in these types of wishy-washy no fault situations we have given full credit "gift" vouchers specifically restricted to Nov 15 - May 15 with Holiday weeks excluded. OR at Innkeeper's discretion. Guests are usually more than grateful, especially those close by. Have even had folks from as far away as California come back to redeem, and stay longer than the original value. Win-win-win!

A voucher can come back and might pick a room that may have been booked for a 4 nighter. It always bites you, always.
A super nice gesture, and make it midweek and a short term for the expiration date. Stuff happens, I always look to my own personal experiences, I would never ever get food poisoning and have the gall to expect the lodging to reimburse me when I had to leave.

Back