Military Discount for life?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have to ask, so if anyone has ever served in any military service they are to get the discounts for life?

You are not obligated by law to give the military a discount. This isn't a police state (yet). Most do it as a courtesy.
In another life, I worked for the Department of Defense as a civilian employee of the military. I have exchange privileges, but not commissary. My GS rating was such that even today, I can stay in officer's quarters on most military bases in the world. The rooms are substantially cheaper. However the quality varies from base to base.
When I traveled, I received a government lodging rate ONLY if I was traveling under orders. That's pretty much the same with active military, I think. Some of it is a the discretion of the individual lodging establishment. I certainly can't stay for the government rate now.
If I want to attract government business (which I don't) I would have to offer a rate discount of almost 25%. Ain't happening.

We have never asked for nor received a military discount anywhere we have traveled. But it really depends on what you want to do. You could do a 'for life' discount. Or only active duty. Or nothing at all.

They will always get a "Thank you for your service." No matter what I do discount wise.
wink_smile.gif

I give military (and cops/firemen) with military ID - that covers active duty, retired, Reserves, and National Guard - a 15% discount in-season and 25% off-season, because I choose to do it. The only night it is a "for life" (and the includes the V A ID so I can thank the Vietnam guys who were treated so shabbily) is November 10 for Veterans Day. I do this because I have so many in my family who are military and first responders and I WANT to say thank you. I would probably bristle if told I HAD to do it.

We offer a discount for all military, greater discount for single occup. active duty. So far, it is working well for us. Oh, by the way, we got our 1st of 2 rms reserved for Veterans Day today! Has anyone else?

We offer a discount for all military, greater discount for single occup. active duty. So far, it is working well for us. Oh, by the way, we got our 1st of 2 rms reserved for Veterans Day today! Has anyone else?.
Yahoo!! Super. You are the first I know of!

I'm a "with ID" person. Once dh left the National Guard I no longer had an active military ID. I don't get a discount most places, and I don't offer it to people like me, either.
In and serving, oh yeah!
=)
Kk.

We offer a discount for all military, greater discount for single occup. active duty. So far, it is working well for us. Oh, by the way, we got our 1st of 2 rms reserved for Veterans Day today! Has anyone else?.
greyswan said:
We offer a discount for all military, greater discount for single occup. active duty. So far, it is working well for us. Oh, by the way, we got our 1st of 2 rms reserved for Veterans Day today! Has anyone else?
Not even a phone call.

Both dh & I are vets and I still have a valid military ID from the Retired Reserve. I do NOT expect nor do I ask for any kind of military discount and neither does he.
We gave active duty military folks discounts here & relatives visiting their young men & women as they graduated from training. They were all being deployed very soon. If some of the contractors going to the Middle East pushed it, I would extend the discount to them, even realizing that they were getting paid pretty well to be put in harm's way. It was still harm's way and the more stories that I heard about tours, the more I didn't regret extending the discount to these folks as a courtesy.
It's really an individual decision......

Back