Military Discount

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Okay here is the question: The daughter made the booking over the phone from the road, told me military as Hubby is in Iraq asked for military discount. Mother is here with grown daughter (Kids are with family). She gave me mother's address on booking and her own cc to hold the room. Me thinks Mother will be paying for room, but the booking has a 15% military discount.
What would you do? Ask for military ID? I have never done asked (we had an airforce chap here just this morning checking out), but it seems if Mommy is paying then getting the discount is not being honest. Your thoughts?

The daughter's husband is deployed in Iraq, I would give them the discount but ask for her military ID on arrival. I give the discount here for friends and families attending military events. They are not active duty but their loved one is or will be in harm's way.

We had that happen once. Call from the road, military discount request and the person who showed up had spiked purple hair and was no way in any service. 'Oh, it's my husband who's in the military, he's overseas and I need a break.' Really? You think YOU need a break? Yeesh.
We require ID now. Active or retired.

The wife of the military guy should have a dependent ID. When my first husband was in the Air Force I had the ID so I could use the Commisary and the BX.

I've never asked for an ID yet, but I could and would if the vibe said to do so.
=)
Kk.

The wife of the military guy should have a dependent ID. When my first husband was in the Air Force I had the ID so I could use the Commisary and the BX..
gillumhouse said:
The wife of the military guy should have a dependent ID. When my first husband was in the Air Force I had the ID so I could use the Commisary and the BX.
You're correct. DW and I both worked for the Headquarters of the BX/PX (AAFES) in Dallas. We STILL have an ID, albeit it one for retirees. So do all active military, their dependents, retired military and their dependents and civilian employees of the DOD if they want shopping and base privileges....and most of them do.
So, if someone claiming to be a dependent shows up without a dependent or even a BX/PX ID, I'd be suspicious.

I guess I didn't state it clearly, I am asking about the mother paying, not the wife. Would you offer the military discount when the mother pays for the room? She is not a dependant.
Heck, I have a DoD id I could use as well, expired, but no one would ever look closely at that. I don't of course.

I guess I didn't state it clearly, I am asking about the mother paying, not the wife. Would you offer the military discount when the mother pays for the room? She is not a dependant.
Heck, I have a DoD id I could use as well, expired, but no one would ever look closely at that. I don't of course..
I think I would just let it go. Mom may be picking up a lot of tabs while hubby is in Iraq. Check the daughter's ID if you want to be sure it is valid. She is serving as much as he is right now, just in a different way.
I have a 15% cop discount in-house right now. We talked about what dept in chatting but I did not ask for his ID. He is retired cop.

Heck, I have a DoD id I could use as well, expired, but no one would ever look closely at that. I don't of course..
I think I would just let it go. Mom may be picking up a lot of tabs while hubby is in Iraq. Check the daughter's ID if you want to be sure it is valid. She is serving as much as he is right now, just in a different way.
I have a 15% cop discount in-house right now. We talked about what dept in chatting but I did not ask for his ID. He is retired cop.
gillumhouse said:
I decided to let it go. I will just check them out per usual today.
I have known these type people - like a friend in high school who had a handicap parking placard that he would use so we could park up front at any event or place, it was for his mother, and it was her car.

The wife of the military guy should have a dependent ID. When my first husband was in the Air Force I had the ID so I could use the Commisary and the BX..
gillumhouse said:
You're correct. DW and I both worked for the Headquarters of the BX/PX (AAFES) in Dallas. We STILL have an ID, albeit it one for retirees. So do all active military, their dependents, retired military and their dependents and civilian employees of the DOD if they want shopping and base privileges....and most of them do.
So, if someone claiming to be a dependent shows up without a dependent or even a BX/PX ID, I'd be suspicious.
Proud Texan said:
You're correct. DW and I both worked for the Headquarters of the BX/PX (AAFES) in Dallas.
Once when I was at the commissary I heard one employee joke with another.... "We're AAFES, we don't care and you can't make us."
:wink:
=)
Kk.

If she has a valid Military I.D. I would give it to her. No matter who pays, she is staying there. Now it would be a different story if she would use her Military discount and has her mother or a friend stay there.

gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
You're correct. DW and I both worked for the Headquarters of the BX/PX (AAFES) in Dallas.
Once when I was at the commissary I heard one employee joke with another.... "We're AAFES, we don't care and you can't make us."
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
They might have cared in the beginning and for a time it really WAS a perk for the military and their families. But with the advent of Walmart and Target stores camping right outside the gates of most bases here in the states, the focus has unfortunately moved to competing and aquiring profit. Let's just say it was a great place from which to retire.

Back