Mini rant about groups

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Group coming in July. They are booking individually and it's like pulling teeth. First no one wants to stay 2 nights, they only want the middle night. Holiday, sorry, that's the way it is. Then they are trying to book online with invalid credit cards. Jeez Louise.

What a pain in the...... It makes you want to make them pay up front with a check when they don't use valid credit cards!!! That sure smells like trouble...
Riki

Groups are PITAs if not strongly managed.
That's why my group rules are:
1 person must be responsible for entire group and must pay a separate deposit in addition to a credit card guarantee for all room charges
that person must submit name of all guests and room assignments at least 30 days before event
guests may pay separately at check-in, but the responsible party still retains responsibility for any losses/damages/additional charges/no-shows/payment due because some of their group stayed only 1 night
If guests call before their name has been submitted as part of group and with room assignment, they're referred right back to the responsible party. If that person wants to pay for that guest's empty room for 1 night, that's their decision. They're paying for it, after all.
Once all guest names and room assignments have been received and approved, they each receive an email which includes policies, directions, instructions regarding potential late arrivals, and general group rules.

1 person must be responsible for entire group and must pay a separate deposit in addition to a credit card guarantee for all room charges
that person must submit name of all guests and room assignments at least 30 days before event
guests may pay separately at check-in, but the responsible party still retains responsibility for any losses/damages/additional charges/no-shows/payment due because some of their group stayed only 1 night
If guests call before their name has been submitted as part of group and with room assignment, they're referred right back to the responsible party. If that person wants to pay for that guest's empty room for 1 night, that's their decision. They're paying for it, after all.
Once all guest names and room assignments have been received and approved, they each receive an email which includes policies, directions, instructions regarding potential late arrivals, and general group rules..
Innkeeper To Go said:
Everyone operates differently. I would never accept one person to stand for the group. Before you know it, three rooms have dropped out and they refuse to pay for them. You make them pay and the next thing you know there's a chargeback. Nope, everyone is responsible for their own way, group or no.
RIki

Once all guest names and room assignments have been received and approved, they each receive an email which includes policies, directions, instructions regarding potential late arrivals, and general group rules..
We did this. The person responsible held the rooms with their cc. When their 'time limit' ran out, we released all the rooms back into service. NOW, the folks are booking separately, altho we are holding them to the original specs in the group booking contract.
This is our second group of the year. The first group was 'We want it, here's our money, see you soon.' This next group tho, oy.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Everyone operates differently. I would never accept one person to stand for the group. Before you know it, three rooms have dropped out and they refuse to pay for them. You make them pay and the next thing you know there's a chargeback. Nope, everyone is responsible for their own way, group or no.
RIki
egoodell said:
Before you know it, three rooms have dropped out and they refuse to pay for them. You make them pay and the next thing you know there's a chargeback. Nope, everyone is responsible for their own way, group or no.
RIki
Don't you only have 2 rooms?

We did this. The person responsible held the rooms with their cc. When their 'time limit' ran out, we released all the rooms back into service. NOW, the folks are booking separately, altho we are holding them to the original specs in the group booking contract.
This is our second group of the year. The first group was 'We want it, here's our money, see you soon.' This next group tho, oy.
Here's where my concern would come in with letting them book separately when they are, in fact, still a group.
What happens if they decide to cancel with 2 weeks notice? Individually, that's generally not a problem. But for the whole inn? That could leave some holes.
And without a group contract in place or a separate deposit, how would you deal with that?

Here's where my concern would come in with letting them book separately when they are, in fact, still a group.
What happens if they decide to cancel with 2 weeks notice? Individually, that's generally not a problem. But for the whole inn? That could leave some holes.
And without a group contract in place or a separate deposit, how would you deal with that?
They are being given the group contract info, which they will be held to. In their individual confirmation is all the info for the group. They have a 30 day cancellation instead of the usual week. What we didn't do, and should have, was take the deposit. But we didn't realize at first they were from the group. But now they are calling saying, 'So and so booked with you, do you have any rooms left?'
They got the group confirm info because it's a holiday.

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
Same here, we never let one person be responsible. If they insist on taking care of it, it becomes a 50% non-refundable deposit. I would much rather deal with each room individually, with their own credit card. Then they get the normal cancellation time. We've had nothing but headaches with one person being responsible...even if you get it in writing that they are responsible for all the rooms they will try to get out of it...too much hassle.

Innkeeper To Go said:
They have to pay with a deposit 45 days out, and in full 30 days out with a check. Just like a wedding. Just like graduation weekend. You have to understand that we are only allowed 5 rooms in our county. I am not looking at 100 people, I'm looking at 10 -12 people. And if they want to book my whole inn, they will pay upfront and have to cancel 30 days out or they can go to the Omni.
I will not waste my time unless they are seriously booking.
RIki

Innkeeper To Go said:
They have to pay with a deposit 45 days out, and in full 30 days out with a check. Just like a wedding. Just like graduation weekend. You have to understand that we are only allowed 5 rooms in our county. I am not looking at 100 people, I'm looking at 10 -12 people. And if they want to book my whole inn, they will pay upfront and have to cancel 30 days out or they can go to the Omni.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
???
I was actually referring to Morticia's group issue. You only have 2 rooms, right?

They are being given the group contract info, which they will be held to. In their individual confirmation is all the info for the group. They have a 30 day cancellation instead of the usual week. What we didn't do, and should have, was take the deposit. But we didn't realize at first they were from the group. But now they are calling saying, 'So and so booked with you, do you have any rooms left?'
They got the group confirm info because it's a holiday.
Good that you at least have a 30 day notice. That will at least cover you from late cancellations.
To prevent groups from going around the group deposit and having an individual who must accept responsibility clause, I generally will not release all of the rooms back into the system right away. Because what just happened to you, unfortunately, happens fairly regularly with groups. If they can get around the rules, they'll try to.
If I release 1 room back into the system and then, lo and behold, immediately get a booking for that room, I will generally give them a call and ask if they're part of that group.
Then I would not accept the booking without the original contract/agreement, if they are (and generally they are) part of the group that didn't accept the policies/sign the agreement, whatever.
Just as an FYI.

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
???
I was actually referring to Morticia's group issue. You only have 2 rooms, right?
Yep I have two rooms for the B&B. I will have five rooms later this year. I've worked in hotels and know that they operate as you state, but that would not work here. Here in Albemarle, in general, a whole house booking is 10 people unless you are "grandfathered" in or found a way around it. So here a group booking is10-12.
The tour business can take up to 12 on a tour and I won't take a group of 12 even on a wine tour if one person says they are in charge. Been burned too many times. There is always a number that drop out and the "organizer" does not want to pay.
I don't want to hear any sob stories and have to deal with it and be the bad guy. As I said, our tours can take 12 and soon our inn will be able to take 12. Our county only allows 5 rooms, so a group booking for one B&B is different than another B&B.
I make them all pay their own deposit and their own way. Unless it is a business and they prepay with a company check.
Riki

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
Same here, we never let one person be responsible. If they insist on taking care of it, it becomes a 50% non-refundable deposit. I would much rather deal with each room individually, with their own credit card. Then they get the normal cancellation time. We've had nothing but headaches with one person being responsible...even if you get it in writing that they are responsible for all the rooms they will try to get out of it...too much hassle.
My first experience with a group went something like this...
  • They booked with the PO
  • I had no contact info
  • Had to go thru the previous year's rez cards to find a similar name and hope for the best
  • Contacted one person who knew all about it
  • They booked 7 rooms with PO, only wanted 6 with me (I know better now)
  • Had first person hold all rooms with her card, changed each booking as the correct person called with her info
  • One week prior, one guest called to say she wasn't coming (down to 5 rooms)
  • Group leader called right after and adamantly stated she was not paying any cancellation fees for that cancel
  • Next day, group has shrunk, they only want rooms with 2 beds (down to 3 rooms now)
  • Meanwhile, I am rebooking the cancels
  • Group arrives. Cancels 1 more room walking in door. Proceeds to USE room they cancelled that night. (Note to self, lock all room doors at night.)
  • Will not stay out of kitchen. 3 warnings. Obnoxious behavior and sarcasm abound.
  • Never again.

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
  • I had no contact info
  • Had to go thru the previous year's rez cards to find a similar name and hope for the best
  • Had first person hold all rooms with her card, changed each booking as the correct person called with her info
  • Group leader called right after and adamantly stated she was not paying any cancellation fees for that cancel
  • Next day, group has shrunk, they only want rooms with 2 beds (down to 3 rooms now)
  • Group arrives. Cancels 1 more room walking in door. Proceeds to USE room they cancelled that night. (Note to self, lock all room doors at night.)
  • Will not stay out of kitchen. 3 warnings. Obnoxious behavior and sarcasm abound.
  • Never again.
Yep, that sounds like group behavior.
I especially agree with the Never Again part.

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
  • I had no contact info
  • Never again.
Makes my stomach hurt for you! I hate that behavior and will NOT be treated like that in my house. This is why we discourage groups unless they are in the dead of winter on a weekday, then we'll talk.

Innkeeper To Go said:
RIki
  • I had no contact info
  • Never again.
Exactly why I hate groups. If I have even a small one of 12, I check them out before I take them. I get all kinds of calls for bachelorette groups and they are amazed when I
#1 Do not give them a discount (for 8 or more I pay MORE at the wineries and it's more work
#2 Don't want them and send them to the limo companies (I don't babysit drunk kids)
#3 Give them a free itinerary to take with them to the limos. (I don't, on the other hand, want them ripped off. The limos will not tell them if their winery requests are an hour apart. They don't tell them they should make stop number one to the gourmet store and buy a picnic to be eating something while drinking all day, and they don't tell them that four wineries are ENOUGH to keep them from throwing up all over the winery restrooms. Some limos still leave the hard alcohol in there for them to drink while they ride.
I DO on the other hand take groups like my charming 12 Swedish diplomats from the Department of Defense. It was a wonderful tour day and we even let them order the served lunch which was a breeze.
Riki

Back