"misleading" TA review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc30md

Reaction score
Just had a guest (who had an absolutely fantastic time, raved about us to people checking in as they were checking out, wrote in our guest book that they couldn't wait to return) post a review that they titled 'misleading' on TA. I know exactly who wrote it b/c their TA name is exactly the same as their email address... Despite the 4/5 stars they gave us, they complained about lack of information on our website about our parking situation (funny it would matter to them b/c they flew into town and took a shuttle from the airport!) AND complained b/c he booked the reservation at our "winter rate" (funny, we don't have seasonal rate changes...) but were charged our "summer rate" (funny, they were here in June...isn't that summer anyway?) - Actually, when he booked the reservation, it was for two weekday nights (Tue/Wed), which he then called a week before their stay to say he'd made a mistake and was off by two days on their arrival so I "must change the rez to Thur/Fri" (well, lucky him...we just had a cancellation which opened a room for them!), THEN they were a no-show on Thur, no response when I called... They showed up FRIDAY and acted like nothing wrong... Well, I had to shift a Sat ck-in to a different room to accommodate the "confused" couple!!!!!!
whattha.gif
Anyway, we DO have "weekday" rates and "weekend" rates ... so, he did pay more than he originally expected, but what the heck???
...and, of course, TA doesn't give a darn about ANY of this!!! (Thanks for letting me vent...
potty-mouth.gif
)

You need to do a Manager Response, write one and get all the
potty-mouth.gif
out you would really want to say, then read it over and over before deleting it and write one that makes you the better guy. TA doesn't offer us much help when reviews are fraudulent or misleading but at least they do give us the last word!
Use it to your benefit. Do say your sorry they felt mislead that you would have been happy to go over their bill if they had mentioned their confusion. - In fact, say that if they call you, you will be happy (ahem) to go over the charges.

How about posting their guest room review in your mgmt response? Did you charge them for the no show? We had that this year. Guest didn't read their confirmation (online rez) until they were in the door and telling me they were supposed to be there on this date. It's happened twice this summer. One guest didn't even make a rez but got out of the car bags in hand all happy to be here. Oops.

Read a review about a lodging in Simi Valley, CA on t/a. They talked about hookers being there, etc. Never saw anything of the sort! Employee told us it had been written by a guest who they had problems with.
I'm afraid of two faced guests writing a bad report on us. I know we're not perfect. Even though we do things 99% correctly, focusing on the fault/s we have.

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum BC30MD, I see from your user id you have been here a while, sorry if I didn't recognize you from another id, but welcome none the less...vent away. We may be the only people in the world who "get it."
pita.gif

I posted good reviews for 2 innmates over a week ago and neither has shown up yet. Bet they would have if they had be stinker reviews!

Honestly, this is a case where I would address your Mgmt Response directly to the writer. Just be polite and say you were glad you were able to accommodate them though they changed they reservation several times and how thankful you are for the wonderful comments they left in your guest book, and I would quote them. Then at the end I would clarify your rates for other readers. Passive aggressive BABIES need to be called out on their sh...

Honestly, this is a case where I would address your Mgmt Response directly to the writer. Just be polite and say you were glad you were able to accommodate them though they changed they reservation several times and how thankful you are for the wonderful comments they left in your guest book, and I would quote them. Then at the end I would clarify your rates for other readers. Passive aggressive BABIES need to be called out on their sh....
I disagree - a mgmt response should NEVER be directed at the writer. The mgmt ends up looking like the crybaby, not the whiner. As we always say, keep it short, sweet, to the point and about the perceived problem - not about the guest.

Honestly, this is a case where I would address your Mgmt Response directly to the writer. Just be polite and say you were glad you were able to accommodate them though they changed they reservation several times and how thankful you are for the wonderful comments they left in your guest book, and I would quote them. Then at the end I would clarify your rates for other readers. Passive aggressive BABIES need to be called out on their sh....
I disagree - a mgmt response should NEVER be directed at the writer. The mgmt ends up looking like the crybaby, not the whiner. As we always say, keep it short, sweet, to the point and about the perceived problem - not about the guest.
If it's done properly it will never look whiny. As a traveler, I am impressed when the mgmt response acknowledges that they KNOW who the person is and EXACTLY what the issue was...shows you are on top of your customers and not just sending a blanket statement.
In this case the OP can be very explicit and pleasant to the reviewer.

gillumhouse said:
and...I disagree, I don't like mgmt resp that talk to everyone except the writer, acting as if they can discuss them without acknowledging them. I simple response NOT addressing every detail is 100% the high road:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn, we take all comments and criticism to heart and want only the best experience for all of our guests."
We need to NOT address every line, every deficiency they mention. As we discuss here often, their perspective is THEIRS, people can feel and see things totally different to the person sitting right next to them. They do NOT have to vocalize it at the time, this is where we get our knickers in a knot. It is their preogative to change their minds, or not speak freely when or where they want. So we can do our best, thank you them and move on. Those reading it will be impressed. I know I WOULD BE!

gillumhouse said:
and...I disagree, I don't like mgmt resp that talk to everyone except the writer, acting as if they can discuss them without acknowledging them. I simple response NOT addressing every detail is 100% the high road:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn, we take all comments and criticism to heart and want only the best experience for all of our guests."
We need to NOT address every line, every deficiency they mention. As we discuss here often, their perspective is THEIRS, people can feel and see things totally different to the person sitting right next to them. They do NOT have to vocalize it at the time, this is where we get our knickers in a knot. It is their preogative to change their minds, or not speak freely when or where they want. So we can do our best, thank you them and move on. Those reading it will be impressed. I know I WOULD BE!
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
In a way,we are on the same page although my response sounded as if we were not. What I meant by not responding to the writer was to not go line by line. Address the perceived problem, do not attack the witer.
(I spilled coffee w/c & s on my desk yesterday - and into the keyboardof course - and my spacebar is sticking abit)

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
In a way,we are on the same page although my response sounded as if we were not. What I meant by not responding to the writer was to not go line by line. Address the perceived problem, do not attack the witer.
(I spilled coffee w/c & s on my desk yesterday - and into the keyboardof course - and my spacebar is sticking abit)
As well I am sure we can all agree NEVER NEVER NEVER go with the first draft! write someting super grumpy to get it all out then write something sensible and whatever you do don't rush to publish it could be out there forever take a few extra days and make sure it is an opportunity to show yourself in a good light.

A reader might find it too general , like an autoreply; how about:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear."

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes 100% agree. Don't be petty. :) But please address the person who took the time to write this (whether we like it/them or not) this shows care for our customers/guests.

"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear.".
Bommelhoeve said:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear."
Yes I agree. I was not giving my "reply" specifically, but just a sample of a short sweet caring response. "We are sorry you found our prices too high, your comments are taken to heart..." etc and thank them for their review.

"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear.".
Bommelhoeve said:
Yes I agree. I was not giving my "reply" specifically, but just a sample of a short sweet caring response. "We are sorry you found our prices too high, your comments are taken to heart..." etc and thank them for their review.
I understand that the review rating is OK, 4/5 stars are not bad. But with a title "misleading" everyone will scrutinese the parking and rates system and look for misleading info. I think you must address that upfront and say so. (sorry, even if everything on the website is fine, make it more clear to show you listen and hsve addressed the comments)

Bommelhoeve said:
I understand that the review rating is OK, 4/5 stars are not bad. But with a title "misleading" everyone will scrutinese the parking and rates system and look for misleading info. I think you must address that upfront and say so. (sorry, even if everything on the website is fine, make it more clear to show you listen and hsve addressed the comments)
people who don't read anything are easily misled as they simply make it up in their heads. I have this problem with my single rooms with private bathrooms - I put this info every where and in great detail but very few read it they just make it up in their head that it "must be ensuite"

I would make it short and sweet, but I would also use it as an opportunity to let people know that you appreciate the opportunity to take care of any problems while they were there with you to ensure that their stay was positive. One of the great things about staying in a B&B is the personal service and interaction.

they complained about lack of information on our website about our parking situation (funny it would matter to them b/c they flew into town and took a shuttle from the airport!) AND complained b/c he booked the reservation at our "winter rate" (funny, we don't have seasonal rate changes...) but were charged our "summer rate" (funny, they were here in June...isn't that summer anyway?) - Actually, when he booked the reservation, it was for two weekday nights (Tue/Wed), which he then called a week before their stay to say he'd made a mistake and was off by two days on their arrival so I "must change the rez to Thur/Fri" (well, lucky him...we just had a cancellation which opened a room for them!), THEN they were a no-show on Thur, no response when I called... They showed up FRIDAY and acted like nothing wrong...
Thank you for your 4-start review. We apologize for being confused by your title of the review - Misleading. Although we do not have seasonal rates, we do have weekday and weekend rates. I am sorry, but a Thursday/Friday reservation, especially when it becomes a Friday/Saturday on arrival does have aweekend rateas opposed to the original reservation for Tuesday/Wednesday which are weekdays. Since you indicated arrival was to be by airport shuttle we probably neglected to mention our parking, for this oversight we sincerely apologize. Thank you very the positve review and the lovely comments in the comment book.

Back