Missed phone calls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But they didn't ask you to call them back. I don't get why you call them if they didn't leave a message?
I was looking at some of those unique cards online and just to figure out s&h I had to put them in my cart, I then had an email asking me why I abandoned my cart?.
I call back because if it is not the number of a spammer then it is a guest who is not patient enough to wait for a callback. They are booking NOW, not booking online, wanting to talk to someone and I have a lot of competition and a lot of bills.
But, it has to be immediate. If they called an hour ago it's too late.

I do. I carry the phone on a clip on my belt so I rarely miss a call, but If I do, I will call them back even if they don't leave a message.
The thing that irks me is the folks who come to the door and wait 30 seconds and leave. Although i have a 'PLEASE RING BELL FOR INNKEEPER' brass plaque directly under the bell. They don't realize I have multiple buildings. I missed a couple who showed up on a motorcycle yesterday because I couldn't get to the door before they decided to leave. That was lost revenue for sure.

I do. I carry the phone on a clip on my belt so I rarely miss a call, but If I do, I will call them back even if they don't leave a message.
The thing that irks me is the folks who come to the door and wait 30 seconds and leave. Although i have a 'PLEASE RING BELL FOR INNKEEPER' brass plaque directly under the bell. They don't realize I have multiple buildings. I missed a couple who showed up on a motorcycle yesterday because I couldn't get to the door before they decided to leave. That was lost revenue for sure..
I think people get antsy standing in a strange place waiting. I find that they're generally halfway to the car and I'm usually 20 steps from the door when they ring. A friend has a sign that reads, 'Innkeeper is in other building, please ring bell and hang on, I'll be right there!'
But that's kind of long to put on a plaque!

I often call back and I get business out of 50% of those call backs. I simply say, I see someone called from your number.
If it is meant to be a surprise, they usually leave a message to the effect.
regular_smile.gif
welcome.gif

Welcome to the forum!

But they didn't ask you to call them back. I don't get why you call them if they didn't leave a message?
I was looking at some of those unique cards online and just to figure out s&h I had to put them in my cart, I then had an email asking me why I abandoned my cart?.
Because I get reservations from it!! $$$$$$$
This is very different from your situation online. When online, we think we're anonymous and we're not trying to interact with live people.
People want instant gratification. I'm one of those people that would not leave a message if they didn't answer the phone when I called. When I do call back most of the time they are surprised and very happy. They know that I care that they called and I want their business. I only call back if it's a matter of minutes of missing their call.
Sometimes I will be on the phone making a reservation or speaking with a future guest when the call waiting beep happens. I will not put my guest on hold to answer the other line because I think it's rude. I finish up my call, then check my caller ID. If it's not a number I recognize, I'll call them back.

The orig post said THEY DID NOT LEaVE A MESSG that means they COULD have. She didn't say if you were on the other line and didn't want to be rude and put your caller on hold.

The orig post said THEY DID NOT LEaVE A MESSG that means they COULD have. She didn't say if you were on the other line and didn't want to be rude and put your caller on hold..
Joey Bloggs said:
The orig post said THEY DID NOT LEaVE A MESSG that means they COULD have. She didn't say if you were on the other line and didn't want to be rude and put your caller on hold.
I don't understand the difference. If I am on the phone and the call waiting beeps, the new person calling in gets our voice mail and has no idea I'm on the other line. They have chosen not to leave a message on the voice mail. Isn't that the same thing?

The orig post said THEY DID NOT LEaVE A MESSG that means they COULD have. She didn't say if you were on the other line and didn't want to be rude and put your caller on hold..
That's the only scenario when I've called someone - If I've been on the line and didn't click over to pick up the other call. If they called and got the answering machine and didn't leave a message, I didn't call them back.

Like Morticia said, it has to be immediate.
I call and say "Hi, this is Kathy from College House B&B in Ashland. Someone there just called my number and I'm sorry I missed the call." We get a lot of wrong numbers for apartments in town.
I agree, people want immediate gratification. It's rare that I even miss the call as I forward the phones to my cell when I'm out, but sometimes I don't make it to the handset in time or some other fluke happens.
It's gotten me enough reservations to be worth the bother.
=)
Kk.

Back