Missing book

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee C.

Reaction score
I had a beautiful book of the history of our island which I leave in the common room for guests to enjoy. Yesterday, I saw a guest reading it after breakfast. A few hours after check-out, I realized the book is missing. I searched everywhere. The book was a gift from my niece in honor of our opening. What should I do? Of course I can't prove she took it. Perhaps it was mistakenly packed. Do I just chalk it up as a learning experience?

Keep looking. I have books like this that I find in the oddest places, fallen under the bed, etc. Don;t give up yet. If no luck, email the guest and ask where they put it?
Hope it turns back up!!

I would e-mail or call the guest, perhaps if one of them didn't know that it wasn't the others and slipped it into the suitcase. I say this cause my husband is not an avid reader and I can read alot and he has no clue which books I am reading or which books are mine. Just call and be nice saying that you noticed him/her reading the book and wanted to know where they placed it because it has sentimental value to you. Maybe even send them a link on where to purchase the book.

I would also keep looking. I might then ask, I noticed you were enjoying our book __________ and it appears to have moved from its usual place. Did you perhaps notice it in another place in the house? It is a very special book as it was a gift from someone dear to us.

ditto the above on noticing you were reading it and can't seem to find it, where did you put it before you checked out? ... don't wait. assume it wa a mistake and that it will come back. or maybe you will get a surprise and you will find it elsewhere. i would not include a link of where to buy it ... that to me would imply you think i took it. maybe another guest saw them reading it and took it.
i had a hand crocheted (i think) throw go walking after a guest checked out. i didn't love it but it was a wedding gift from a friend of my late husband and i felt all squished inside thinking that someone took it. i had it in a guest room (mistake) because it looked nice in there and wasn't sure when it had gone missing ... didn't know who to contact. in the meantime, all areas under beds and behind furniture got a thorough cleaning as we searched.
a few weeks later, it arrived in the mail with an apology ... odd to mistakenly pack up a throw but i was thrilled to have it back.
hard lesson to learn ... if something is very special to you, it mustn't be in guest areas. that's just my two cents.
i hope it turns up!

Back