Mob mentality

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
Do you find that when parties book multiple rooms, a mob mentality sets in so that the guests start behaving in a manner that they would not if they were alone? Specifically, do they start to treat the property/other guests/innkeeper with less respect? Is there a correlation between the size of the group and the level of respect?
It seems to me that groups tend to take over and become more demanding, thus generating a lot more work -- in the face of guests expecting discounted rates because multiple rooms are booked.

YOU GOT IT!! And that is what we have been referring to in many of our past posts. Groups can be a real PITA sand Wedding parties are the WORST!!!!!

The short answer is 'yes', the long answer is 'it depends'. We have had whole house bookings for weddings where everyone was delightful (with the exception of what the rooms looked like on the first night). We've had multiple rooms taken by family members + the bride who were also delightful.
Then we've had a family gathering that canceled all but 3 of the original 7 rooms they booked and then expected to act like they were the only guests in the house, taking over the living room and constantly going into the kitchen to cook up their party dishes. (Even tho they were 'caught' 3 times in the kitchen they refused to 'cease and desist' and got very snarky with us.) They canceled the last room as they walked in the door and then had the nerve to go into the room they canceled and sleep in it after begging me at 8 PM to 'please try to rebook that room'. (I had closed the door, but not locked it, lesson learned.)
To me, it seems like it depends on what the people are like in the first place. Some are just nice people who want to be together in one place; others are just a party waiting to happen and they don't care.
We also had one couple with a wedding party where the MOG canceled their reservation to let one of her friends stay in that room (these rooms were at another inn). We got the booted couple here (along with other wedding-goers) and the friends came over here everyday to mooch our snacks and drink our coffee. I thought we would have the tough time with the booted couple. Nope. It was the friend who was the problem. Luckily (for me), he and his wife had their knock-down, drag-out, furniture-breaking row at the other inn.

In my experience, if the group has booked the whole house, it's no extra work or worry. I give a discount for whole house bookings with minimum 2-night stay (no discount on long weekends).
Now, if there's a group that only takes three rooms, and we have another one or two rooms with non-group couples, then we worry a bit. The group tends to spread out more in whichever common space they're using, making it hard for a non-group couple to enjoy it at the same time. The groups do tend to be louder so it can be disruptive to other guests.
Groups are easier, though, in that: they entertain themselves; they usually have already planned out what they're doing and where they're going for the day; are less demanding on me for ideas and maps and other concierge-type things; have one breakfast time together so it's not spread out over the range of breakfast times.

My experience with groups is they take over every inch of the place, move furniture and do whatever they please. They are there MORE OFTEN then the single room renters and need much more attention. Sure they are often together, but require this and that. They get into stuff.
Plus they expect a huge discount.

In my limited experience, the answer is that groups do take over the whole house (even if they don't have all the rooms in the house) unless they are here for a purpose that takes them out & about a lot. They also seem to expect to be waited on more. I don't know why that is, except that they're hanging around more so they expect replenishment of snacks, etc. all the time.
I much prefer folks that just have booked one room :) Seems like they have things to do, people to see OR they're here for a getaway and they just hide in their room.

Well our PITA arrived from the US with her Mexican family in tow. They booked the whole house, demanded and was given a discount. They arrived late (well the ones from the US had an excuse as their flight was canceled and .... well it was a nightmare short of having to spend the night somewhere).
They took over the whole house. Wedding day ... uncle comes into the kitchen after breakfast. Kind of peers around the corner (looking for the house maid) .. I need someone to iron my shirt and pants. I heard, do you have an iron ... I said he could use ours. hmm he left the shirt and pants PIC said, for a good tip we can do that. We got nothing.
Next morning, male guest from the US comes in, says, hope you don't mind but my uncle is staying alone at the Holiday Inn next door, I invited him for breakfast. We will pay. We said that it was ok and that would be nice of him to pay a little something for the extra breakfast. We got nothing.
The US mom says, you really need to have this play and pak (or whatever it is called) ... I said that we don't really take small children (this was after we could not get the stains out of the white towels that was used to wipe the baby down before using soap and water after breakfast.
This is the "family" from the US that said that she would post a review on TA if we were worthy.
One of the parents changed a baby on the cushion of our wicker set, it has a "water" mark now. Stained our Oaxaca hand woven tablecloth with some sort of red juice that they brought. Oh I could go on.
Was so happy to see them leave. We may have to say from now on that our property is not suited for small children. Oh, and, we are also going to add a charge per person in room. Babies still wash, use bedding, towels, pool, towels, eat (oh and special request, ok I understand, but .. sigh).
We went above and beyone ensuring everyone was happy. They left happy. Said they would recommend, would come again when they can. I think they are now added to our list.

Well our PITA arrived from the US with her Mexican family in tow. They booked the whole house, demanded and was given a discount. They arrived late (well the ones from the US had an excuse as their flight was canceled and .... well it was a nightmare short of having to spend the night somewhere).
They took over the whole house. Wedding day ... uncle comes into the kitchen after breakfast. Kind of peers around the corner (looking for the house maid) .. I need someone to iron my shirt and pants. I heard, do you have an iron ... I said he could use ours. hmm he left the shirt and pants PIC said, for a good tip we can do that. We got nothing.
Next morning, male guest from the US comes in, says, hope you don't mind but my uncle is staying alone at the Holiday Inn next door, I invited him for breakfast. We will pay. We said that it was ok and that would be nice of him to pay a little something for the extra breakfast. We got nothing.
The US mom says, you really need to have this play and pak (or whatever it is called) ... I said that we don't really take small children (this was after we could not get the stains out of the white towels that was used to wipe the baby down before using soap and water after breakfast.
This is the "family" from the US that said that she would post a review on TA if we were worthy.
One of the parents changed a baby on the cushion of our wicker set, it has a "water" mark now. Stained our Oaxaca hand woven tablecloth with some sort of red juice that they brought. Oh I could go on.
Was so happy to see them leave. We may have to say from now on that our property is not suited for small children. Oh, and, we are also going to add a charge per person in room. Babies still wash, use bedding, towels, pool, towels, eat (oh and special request, ok I understand, but .. sigh).
We went above and beyone ensuring everyone was happy. They left happy. Said they would recommend, would come again when they can. I think they are now added to our list..
Yep I would indeed start saying no children - we do so, and use our Wine Country niche as an excuse - we have magnum bottles of wine out as decoration.
I would stick to my guns as well if I were you. Your place is too nice to pay for all the stains and wear and tear of children. Having a pool you will receive more and more requests. You could probably state that your pool is not safeguarded for children and so your insurance will not cover?
But truly, you don't have to explain anything. You don't take children. Period. And list an age below which you cannot accept them.
Riki

We went above and beyone ensuring everyone was happy. They left happy. Said they would recommend, would come again when they can. I think they are now added to our list..
I don't think you want any guest referrals from them...given others may be just like them!!!! You need to set up some stricter policies, have then on your website and stick to them!!!! You should have just charged the extra breakfast to the bill!!!!
YOu should also have irons and ironing boards in every room or readily available for guest. EVERY hotel has them and most B & B's as well. That is an almost expected amenity..kind of like a hair dryer in the bathroom. Basics!

We are learning with every guest. We have not had our website translated into Spanish .. yet. All the extra small costs items like the irons and ironing boards are having to wait. We have invested every single penny that we had in investments and savings into this place. We do have those on our list though of future purchases.
I wish for a large pot of money to land upon us so we can finish all the outstanding details. But the lesson of accepting kids has hit us hard.
We too are hoping for no recommendations from this family. Am still wondering about the worthy or not review... kind of hoping that does not come forth either. We wanted to be able to welcome every one, but the cost of having this family this weekend was not worth it.

We are learning with every guest. We have not had our website translated into Spanish .. yet. All the extra small costs items like the irons and ironing boards are having to wait. We have invested every single penny that we had in investments and savings into this place. We do have those on our list though of future purchases.
I wish for a large pot of money to land upon us so we can finish all the outstanding details. But the lesson of accepting kids has hit us hard.
We too are hoping for no recommendations from this family. Am still wondering about the worthy or not review... kind of hoping that does not come forth either. We wanted to be able to welcome every one, but the cost of having this family this weekend was not worth it..
YOu see, the problem is.... I am not talking over the top amenities....people expect these types of things as "standard" in a B & B. You should not have to let people borrow your personal items such as an iron and ironing board :-(
If your money is that tight that you can't afford to buy an extra iron and ironing board..hang on tight....you are sure to have some unexpected issues arise which will need addressed. what wil you do if you don't have the money say to buy a new water heater?????
Best of luck to you.

New water heaters are in ... everything is new which may have lead to the problem in the first place. We are keeping the bit extra that we have so we can also enjoy a bit. We have a small reserve, but want to build it up a bit.
It isn't that we mind lending the iron and board out, as the guests use it in our area ... or even mind helping out by doing the pressing. It was the attitude. He was looking for our maid. It is a class thing. No one else has ever had that attitude with us before. I am thinking it was just this family.
We may add a board and iron in the social area, but am sure we will still have guests looking for the house maid.

We too are hoping for no recommendations from this family. Am still wondering about the worthy or not review... kind of hoping that does not come forth either. We wanted to be able to welcome every one, but the cost of having this family this weekend was not worth it..
YOu see, the problem is.... I am not talking over the top amenities....people expect these types of things as "standard" in a B & B. You should not have to let people borrow your personal items such as an iron and ironing board :-(
If your money is that tight that you can't afford to buy an extra iron and ironing board..hang on tight....you are sure to have some unexpected issues arise which will need addressed. what wil you do if you don't have the money say to buy a new water heater?????
Best of luck to you.
We also do not offer irons and ironing boards in guests rooms, that's all we need, the house burning down! Fire code = Sorry, no irons...
It only has to be your fire code, you know!
wink_smile.gif

They get into drunken stupors, can't read, return keys, close doors, respect your space, keep their children out of your space, and all the other things we complain about on this forum, and you're going to trust them with a fire hazard ???

Best of luck to you.
We also do not offer irons and ironing boards in guests rooms, that's all we need, the house burning down! Fire code = Sorry, no irons...
wink_smile.gif

They get into drunken stupors, can't read, return keys, close doors, respect your space, keep their children out of your space, and all the other things we complain about on this forum, and you're going to trust them with a fire hazard ???
Have only been asked a couple of times for the iron and no one seemed to mind using the one in the house. It has not been a hugely requested item. If that ever happens, we will certainly move it up on the shopping list.
Making it now to the top of the shopping list is a new table cloth .. from Oaxaca. Might just need to take an over night trip there, or, I guess we could go up to one of the shops that carry those here. But where is the fun in that.
We are slowly making head way on the shopping list. We do not have a mortgage as being a foreigner here, they will not give you a loan. Have to purchase outright. All workers have to be paid during and by the end of the job. Done. We are not destitute, we are doing just fine, just do not have every thing that we could have.
We ended up buying a futon this past weekend. Not on the top of the shopping list, but things happened and it moved up.
I didn't mean for it to sound like we were floundering, we just have a limit on out going monies as I said we want to still allow ourselves a life when time allows for it to happen. Like a night away. Maybe I said to much. Business is doing well right now and this we are celebrating.
We are learning about the culture here, and many of our guests seem to expect that we have a maid and house people. Part of the culture. We do have a friend that comes to help us clean, she is Mexican .. and our last guests referred to her as the maid. I am ashamed I said nothing in her defense.

Best of luck to you.
wink_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
wink_smile.gif

There is nothing worse than a drunken neat freak! I hate it when they iron at 2am after a binger.

Best of luck to you.
wink_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
wink_smile.gif

There is nothing worse than a drunken neat freak! I hate it when they iron at 2am after a binger.
we had irons and ironing boards in all rooms and never in 7 years did I have anyone leave one on.:) It is something I expect to find when I travel.

Best of luck to you.
wink_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
wink_smile.gif

we had irons and ironing boards in all rooms and never in 7 years did I have anyone leave one on.:) It is something I expect to find when I travel.
We have irons and ironing boards. Just purchase the irons that automatically shut themselves off when not in use.
Riki

Best of luck to you.
wink_smile.gif

We have irons/boards in each room. They're auto shut off irons. Some rooms have a iron/board holder in the closets and some don't. I used the label maker to put "Please do not put hot iron away on holder" on the irons & holders. The rooms without a holder, I put "Please do not put iron away hot" just on the iron. It has not been a problem. They do get used very often and guests appreciate them. It was no big deal to supply them. (~$13 for the iron, $10 for the board from WalMart or similar place)

Back