More Bed Upgrade Questions!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I'm putting this in Off Topics, because this is about upgrades in the motel, not the lodge. We have 8 units each with 2 double beds. We are waiting for our home to sell before we can do the lodge interior. So this year we are focusing on keeping on budget in the motel. We want to keep it Mid-century Modern.
Do you think each room needs two queen beds? I think I can wall mount the very retro headboards (white with orange vinyl inset) and still use a queen. If I purchase 8 new queens, should I only do 4 rooms, or do some rooms one queen and one full?
Also looking for a source for retro bedspreads. Rooms alternate neutrals and blue. Original bedspreads were orange/rust chenille horizontal stripes in neutral rooms, and turquoise/blue shade stripes in blue rooms. Very cool, too thread bare to use now. Ideas anyone?

Remember that every time you have 2 beds in the room, people will use them .... whether they actually sleep in them or pull the covers back or spill something on / in them (my housekeeping manager days ..)
From a REVENUE standpoint it's great because you can always maximize the occupancy ...
If you are going to do a full OR a 2nd queen in each you may as well do a 2nd queen, then you only have to worry about one sheet size
And a very good friend of mine is a manager at Sleepy's up north ..... the largest mattress store in the NE .... they ship anywhere .. drop me an email if you would like his contact details
Ref bedspreads, go with a hotel bedding / linen supplier like American Hotel Register or similar, remember to BUY EXTRA!! and have something you can either machine wash OR throw in the dryer with a dry cleaning sheet

Remember that every time you have 2 beds in the room, people will use them .... whether they actually sleep in them or pull the covers back or spill something on / in them (my housekeeping manager days ..)
From a REVENUE standpoint it's great because you can always maximize the occupancy ...
If you are going to do a full OR a 2nd queen in each you may as well do a 2nd queen, then you only have to worry about one sheet size
And a very good friend of mine is a manager at Sleepy's up north ..... the largest mattress store in the NE .... they ship anywhere .. drop me an email if you would like his contact details
Ref bedspreads, go with a hotel bedding / linen supplier like American Hotel Register or similar, remember to BUY EXTRA!! and have something you can either machine wash OR throw in the dryer with a dry cleaning sheet.
Hi-
I have 275 full flat sheets ARGH! Some are not so good but many of them are. So if I use any of the full size, I don't have to buy any more. I was thinking of getting rid of the poorer mattresses, and replacing some with queens. Question is would it be odd to have a full and a queen in the same room?
Also, hotel suppliers I have looked at only have some pretty ugly bedspreads. Saw one style at Wally world that might work. Not much in the retro line, I'm still checking tho.
A local mattress company does a good job with mattresses for lodging, and has a special rate for owners. Friends bought a nice king set for about $600.00. Double sided and flip-able to wear better, we were impressed with it. Will check on your source too tho--thanks!

white pine said:
Also looking for a source for retro bedspreads. Rooms alternate neutrals and blue. Original bedspreads were orange/rust chenille horizontal stripes in neutral rooms, and turquoise/blue shade stripes in blue rooms. Very cool, too thread bare to use now. Ideas anyone?
A couple of online sources have chenille bedspreads, not actually retro but somewhat retro looking.
Domestications
Brylane Home
Linensource
Rustic lodge bedding/blankets might look cool too. Especially easy to get in rust/orangey shades.

The thing about the hotel source bedspreads is that they LAST and they are durable ... and if you need more in 3 years they generally have the same pattern
No it is not odd to have different size beds in the rooms but if you were to replace all the beds it would make sense to have the same size (don't buy new beds because of old linens ..)
Donate your old linens and take the tax deduction
The one thing I learnt when I bought my most recent bed, it may FEEL comfortable to lie on but see how HEAVY it is when you lift the mattress up ... it NEEDS to be heavy ...if it's light and you can practically lift up one side on your own (I am talking about more than just tucking a sheet in) then it's too light. Also the heavier the mattress the better the sheets stay tucked in and the less the damn bedfrills move around!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XieR60HxYGE

Do you have any sense of what your clientele will be like, specifically couples looking for a romantic get-a-way or is it mostly families? You didn't mention Kings but if you get a lot of couples this is usually more popular than two doubles or queens, and it's less beds for you to make. Yes I know, more sheets but less work in the long run.
I don't think it would be odd to have two different size beds in the same room (one queen/one double), people traveling with kids would likely find that appealing.

Do you have any sense of what your clientele will be like, specifically couples looking for a romantic get-a-way or is it mostly families? You didn't mention Kings but if you get a lot of couples this is usually more popular than two doubles or queens, and it's less beds for you to make. Yes I know, more sheets but less work in the long run.
I don't think it would be odd to have two different size beds in the same room (one queen/one double), people traveling with kids would likely find that appealing..
I was thinking some kings in the lodge, but in order to keep the MCM feel in the motel & use the headboards, it would be queens in the motel. Some of the area places still have only full size in their motels, so queens would be better than average. I think most people travel as a couple, and sleep in one bed,, but do use the other too. Just wondering if I could only upgrade one bed in each room for now, and transition to two queens as the old linnens are worn. (I am tight with a nickle!)

Ref bedspreads, go with a hotel bedding / linen supplier like American Hotel Register or similar, remember to BUY EXTRA!! and have something you can either machine wash OR throw in the dryer with a dry cleaning sheet.
Hi-
I have 275 full flat sheets ARGH! Some are not so good but many of them are. So if I use any of the full size, I don't have to buy any more. I was thinking of getting rid of the poorer mattresses, and replacing some with queens. Question is would it be odd to have a full and a queen in the same room?
Also, hotel suppliers I have looked at only have some pretty ugly bedspreads. Saw one style at Wally world that might work. Not much in the retro line, I'm still checking tho.
A local mattress company does a good job with mattresses for lodging, and has a special rate for owners. Friends bought a nice king set for about $600.00. Double sided and flip-able to wear better, we were impressed with it. Will check on your source too tho--thanks!
I wouldn't go with full size. Unless you have rooms that can accommodate 2 fulls. You are better off with at least queen size beds and if you can ...go with king size. I can't imagine that sheets that old would still be in good condition. I think you should bite the bullet and go for totally new. Your guests will appreciate it. This is the season for linen sales, so take advantage of them.

The thing about the hotel source bedspreads is that they LAST and they are durable ... and if you need more in 3 years they generally have the same pattern
No it is not odd to have different size beds in the rooms but if you were to replace all the beds it would make sense to have the same size (don't buy new beds because of old linens ..)
Donate your old linens and take the tax deduction
The one thing I learnt when I bought my most recent bed, it may FEEL comfortable to lie on but see how HEAVY it is when you lift the mattress up ... it NEEDS to be heavy ...if it's light and you can practically lift up one side on your own (I am talking about more than just tucking a sheet in) then it's too light. Also the heavier the mattress the better the sheets stay tucked in and the less the damn bedfrills move around!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XieR60HxYGE.
Funny video! Hope I am not quite that bad--- I agree that many of the mattresses are not well built these days, way too light. Our friends have a resort, and get theirs by going to the factory and having them built. They pick them up, and dispose of their old ones themselves. A lot of work, but a good price on the mattresses. Still not as heavy as the old ones in the lodge!
I was thinking of transitioning to all queens, I would not buy more fulls. Just trying to strech the budget and use as many of the existing linens and beds as possible. I will look again at the hotel suppliers, just can't find a pattern that will work. I do think you can't beat poly or poly cotton for durability and quick drying, just don't want scratchy.

white pine said:
A couple of online sources have chenille bedspreads, not actually retro but somewhat retro looking.
Domestications
Brylane Home
Linensource
Rustic lodge bedding/blankets might look cool too. Especially easy to get in rust/orangey shades..
Thanks, will check them out!

I would definitely go with queens not doubles, 2 of them, even though having 2 beds in the room is a bear for cleaning. Maybe a king room or 2 as well. My room with 2 queens is very popular and would not be as much if it were a queen & a double. And both beds are almost always slept in, even if it is a couple on a honeymoon or anniversary.
When you take pix for your website, make sure the verbiage states everything is completely remodeled and new. Some people will look at the pix and think, 'hasn't been taken care of in 50 years' if they see the retro without the description. You could get some really cool lamps, too. All angles and with those weird lamp shades.
Do the rooms have space for seating?
You need those metal lawn chairs for outside!

Hi-
I wouldn't go with full size. Unless you have rooms that can accommodate 2 fulls. You are better off with at least queen size beds and if you can ...go with king size. I can't imagine that sheets that old would still be in good condition. I think you should bite the bullet and go for totally new. Your guests will appreciate it. This is the season for linen sales, so take advantage of them.
Not all of the sheets are that old. I also have 60 old "new" ones. I am testing some of these at home. They are nice and seem to hold up well in the wash. Might be too nice for the motel!
I did start buying new fitted sheets last year, and will be looking for deals on the queen size now. I think most peole will use the queen beds. I will save the kings for the lodge.
Love White Sale season....Definitely need new pads and blankets too.
sad_smile.gif

Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it? That's a big chunk-o-change. Yes it would be odd for a queen and full sized bed in the same room.
Are you wanting to reno all these rooms? Or just make them usable until you can get the lodge operating as well? I thought just make them nice clean and usable. (Again sorry I am am off track) :)
From my experience with hotels as a family of four we are often faced with a) a king bed with sofa sleeper or b) two doubles.
I would never change it. Me, I would keep it the same. Especially retro, two doubles would give more space in the room.
Why do you want two queens? Are you expecting two couples per room? Do you have any adjoining doors, would be cheaper to offer a discount on a family suite as such than replace everything. Now if it were the lodge or a B&B proper I would have a different answer. And yet again, I would not want two beds per room, unless double beds.
For linens - I would get what you really want, if you don't sew hire someone to do them all, it would be easy if you wanted the same size and pattern on all of them, nothing easier to make than curtains and bedspreads!

Two queens are great for families, or yes even 2 couples, or 2 singles traveling together
Kings are wonderful IF there are two people making the bed!! Yes I know some of you make king beds all by yourself but it's not easy

Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it? That's a big chunk-o-change. Yes it would be odd for a queen and full sized bed in the same room.
Are you wanting to reno all these rooms? Or just make them usable until you can get the lodge operating as well? I thought just make them nice clean and usable. (Again sorry I am am off track) :)
From my experience with hotels as a family of four we are often faced with a) a king bed with sofa sleeper or b) two doubles.
I would never change it. Me, I would keep it the same. Especially retro, two doubles would give more space in the room.
Why do you want two queens? Are you expecting two couples per room? Do you have any adjoining doors, would be cheaper to offer a discount on a family suite as such than replace everything. Now if it were the lodge or a B&B proper I would have a different answer. And yet again, I would not want two beds per room, unless double beds.
For linens - I would get what you really want, if you don't sew hire someone to do them all, it would be easy if you wanted the same size and pattern on all of them, nothing easier to make than curtains and bedspreads!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it?
Good point...if this is a short term, stop-gap measure and you plan a fuller upgrade later, then stick with double beds and the sheets you already have. When we first got here and couldn't afford to replace all the mattresses at once we bought some of the memory foam mattress toppers. They were ~$100 each for a double size and made the beds really comfy, and still fit standard sheets.

For linens - I would get what you really want, if you don't sew hire someone to do them all, it would be easy if you wanted the same size and pattern on all of them, nothing easier to make than curtains and bedspreads!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it?
Good point...if this is a short term, stop-gap measure and you plan a fuller upgrade later, then stick with double beds and the sheets you already have. When we first got here and couldn't afford to replace all the mattresses at once we bought some of the memory foam mattress toppers. They were ~$100 each for a double size and made the beds really comfy, and still fit standard sheets.
We've been doing one bed/year. They really didn't need it at first, but we're 7 years on now and they really do! Another point about the beds- the newer ones are taller than the 'old' style so it is less bending to make the newer beds.

REALLY appreciate your insights. The motel rooms are good sized, and have two fulls each. Queens would fit also no problem. We have a queen, and feel cramped in a full, which is why I am thinking of the upgrade. Some of the beds badly need replacing, others I could shift around. Good idea about the foam toppers, but some are sagging. Perhaps only some rooms will be queens.
We could add a door between two rooms, a good idea. Lots of people were asking for mini-fridge and microwaves--not too sure about that, will investigate code.
For now I could open the motel and use it no problem. I worked on some big time deep cleaning last year. Some rooms need some re-paint and minor repairs, not too much.
One of the merchants mentioned has a wavy stripe chenille spread in colors which would work for both rooms and are close to the originals. I like it, and may buy a couple to try now and see how they wash before I invest. The existing spreads were puckered from drying.

Joey- you are dead on, not off track at all. ROI Rooms are nice as is. For now it will be a deep clean and minor upgrades of bedspreads and blankets. Drapes are O.K. I really need to go back over and check out each bed and see how many really need to be replaced. Will give more consideration to keeping two fulls per room. Thanks.

Joey- you are dead on, not off track at all. ROI Rooms are nice as is. For now it will be a deep clean and minor upgrades of bedspreads and blankets. Drapes are O.K. I really need to go back over and check out each bed and see how many really need to be replaced. Will give more consideration to keeping two fulls per room. Thanks.
Personally, I won't stay in a room without at least a queen bed. It's good that you'll have the bigger bed in the Lodge, where someone like me would book and pay more!

REALLY appreciate your insights. The motel rooms are good sized, and have two fulls each. Queens would fit also no problem. We have a queen, and feel cramped in a full, which is why I am thinking of the upgrade. Some of the beds badly need replacing, others I could shift around. Good idea about the foam toppers, but some are sagging. Perhaps only some rooms will be queens.
We could add a door between two rooms, a good idea. Lots of people were asking for mini-fridge and microwaves--not too sure about that, will investigate code.
For now I could open the motel and use it no problem. I worked on some big time deep cleaning last year. Some rooms need some re-paint and minor repairs, not too much.
One of the merchants mentioned has a wavy stripe chenille spread in colors which would work for both rooms and are close to the originals. I like it, and may buy a couple to try now and see how they wash before I invest. The existing spreads were puckered from drying..
I would change out a few of the rooms to two queens, and keep some others as two fulls. I won't book with less than a queen, either - although I don't have the travelling with kids situation. Our room with two fulls books surprisingly well for two singles (not a couple) or for people used to a king bed. You might keep track for a season and see how the bookings go for each type before changing more of them. When we bought this inn, we had 1/2 queens and 1/2 fulls. We put queens in two of the rooms right away, then changed out mattresses two at a time over the next few years. Most of the mattresses here were at least 15 years old.

Back