More Berries

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I just ordered red raspberries. I bought 6 plants to put at the rest of the wall at the front of my house. There are 2 short walls that define the area at the bottom of the steps - the flat that is at sidewalk level. I will now have blueberries, blackberries, and red raspberries at the front of the house in mulch defined beds and kiwi and asparagus in the back at the grape arbor (grapes have mostly given up and that is fine by me - not my favorite.) If I was not planning on selling in thenext coupleyears, I havebeen thinking of putting a couple dwarf appletrees and a couple dwarf peach trees in that side yard instead of theexpanse of grass (we are on a corner lot and the side yard is the corner.
I have a fire pit and a couple chairs under the dogwood tree in the strip of yard that is the back yard. I have peas and some cherry tomatoes and some melons planted in raised beds and it looks asif I did not harvest all the purple potatoes last year - there are several potato plants volunteering at various parts of the yard. With luck, in the next couple years, I will harvest more fruit (cost-wise) than it cost me to plant it and it will improve the look of the place. (My lawn guy will hate me.)

I’m hijacking your thread to say that this year’s Indiana strawberries are in season now. We had lots of rain until mid May and none since. The berries are very small but extremely sweet. Local farmers sell by the quart instead of by weight, so lots of fantastic fruit.
I’m trying to freeze without sugar and will see how that works for later in the year.

I’m hijacking your thread to say that this year’s Indiana strawberries are in season now. We had lots of rain until mid May and none since. The berries are very small but extremely sweet. Local farmers sell by the quart instead of by weight, so lots of fantastic fruit.
I’m trying to freeze without sugar and will see how that works for later in the year..
Great. Enjoy the berries. We have had so much rain we are developing gills. Had to get my grass cut twice in less than 2 weeks.

I’m trying to freeze without sugar and will see how that works for later in the year..
Our local strawberries have started showing at the market, but not the best ones, yet. The imports really try hard to compete... but they have no flavour compared to the local guys.
Freeze on a piece of parchment paper on a tray., makes it easier to put into a bag later, where you can still take them out individually.

Our local strawberries have started showing at the market, but not the best ones, yet. The imports really try hard to compete... but they have no flavour compared to the local guys.
Freeze on a piece of parchment paper on a tray., makes it easier to put into a bag later, where you can still take them out individually.
Needed a cake recipe that makes up quick. Found this: Yellow Cake for Strawberries
INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon baking powder ( heaping)
1 1/2 cups flour (I use White Lilly or cake flour)
1 teaspoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat. Mix flour and baking powder together. Add flour mixture and water alternately to the cream mixture beginning with flour and ending with flour. Add vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured square pan (*8x8 or 9x9).
I use my small fancy tube pan.
med_Yellow%20Cake%20for%20Strawberries.jpg

Back