More Fall photos 2012

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I am totally hijacking the other thread, so decided to start a new one. I can't help myself. You know how when you get the perfect photo you just know it?
I live for this stuff. 80 degrees today, blue skies and I loaded up the Challenger with the dog, the eldest child, a picnic lunch, bottle of water and camera with multiple lenses and headed up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. We have not had a day of for yonks! You know how determined I am to get out and get some of these fall leaves!
Before getting there I saw this! I literally had reverse back down the road after I zipped by this scene that caught my eye, I just knew I had to capture this photo!

This part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is in our county, the image is facing our County. This is one of the places on my picnic package personalized list of special places, I am never sure if anyone listens to me and just drives around to find a spot, I have directions and a photo of this, amongst others (lake-front, waterfall etc).
The guests told me all week the leaves were done, I took this photo today about 1pm. Are the leaves done? Not sure what the heck they were looking at...but this was from my own hand, my own Nikon today.

This part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is in our county, the image is facing our County. This is one of the places on my picnic package personalized list of special places, I am never sure if anyone listens to me and just drives around to find a spot, I have directions and a photo of this, amongst others (lake-front, waterfall etc).
The guests told me all week the leaves were done, I took this photo today about 1pm. Are the leaves done? Not sure what the heck they were looking at...but this was from my own hand, my own Nikon today..
I really don't understand sometimes what guests think foliage season is. Every leaf changed at the same time? A one day event?
In my yard right now I have trees that are glorious. And trees that are completely bare. And trees that are still green.

The guests told me all week the leaves were done, I took this photo today about 1pm. Are the leaves done? Not sure what the heck they were looking at...but this was from my own hand, my own Nikon today..
I really don't understand sometimes what guests think foliage season is. Every leaf changed at the same time? A one day event?
In my yard right now I have trees that are glorious. And trees that are completely bare. And trees that are still green.
Madeleine said:
Sounds like my hills.

And every year I get asked what's the best week to see the foliage? Guests want to come back next year and asked if they should come a week earlier. I really don't know! It depends on the weather. The rain, the temp, the frosts.

Madeleine said:
I'll tell ya what, having the them all go different times and end up on the road with them crunching under the tires is heavenly, I love it.
Everyone goes home and they do their thang here. Click here for one more. What I liked about this and WHY I took it (as I was driving) was the bare tree. It was groovy.
I promise, that's it until tomorrow, haha

I spent the past few days out on Skyline Drive and around the valley taking pics. It is gorgeous. The photos don't do it justice, but go here to see a few.

I spent the past few days out on Skyline Drive and around the valley taking pics. It is gorgeous. The photos don't do it justice, but go here to see a few..
Love the craggy boulders shot. Yeah I know what you mean, it seems like the sun is washing them out, when in reality they are quite colorful. I saw a few of mine today that way, just the direction of the sun in the image. Need a UV or polarizing filter or something.
GORGEOUS! And see that is SKYLINE DRIVE, STILL BLOOMIN' BEAUTIFUL! I am into these leaves til the last one falls...
Empty Nest let me ask your opinion, if you have a chance to take a similar photo of fall leaves and a winding road, would you like better:
a) a winding road going down,
or b) a winding road going up? (not a flat road, but an incline or decline).
Your photo 18 appears to go down and I really like that. Your photo 22 goes up (both gradually). Which do you think is more appealing? I only ask as I was able to take so many today I was wondering if I was spinning my wheels with one or the other?

I spent the past few days out on Skyline Drive and around the valley taking pics. It is gorgeous. The photos don't do it justice, but go here to see a few..
Love the craggy boulders shot. Yeah I know what you mean, it seems like the sun is washing them out, when in reality they are quite colorful. I saw a few of mine today that way, just the direction of the sun in the image. Need a UV or polarizing filter or something.
GORGEOUS! And see that is SKYLINE DRIVE, STILL BLOOMIN' BEAUTIFUL! I am into these leaves til the last one falls...
Empty Nest let me ask your opinion, if you have a chance to take a similar photo of fall leaves and a winding road, would you like better:
Your photo 18 appears to go down and I really like that. Your photo 22 goes up (both gradually). Which do you think is more appealing? I only ask as I was able to take so many today I was wondering if I was spinning my wheels with one or the other?
hmmm, i never really thought about it. up down?? I just take what appeals to me, or just point and shoot. I took several dozen with my tablet camera and i know it is lower rez, but they look so great on the tablet.

beautiful!!! the leaves are not done, until the branches are bare:)

Now for the rest of the story...
Please read my blog on the little Kodak moment I had yesterday HERE.

my opinion (though you didn't ask for it) is I like the one going down better. I felt the movement more than the one going up and was more intrigued by what might be found down there.

my opinion (though you didn't ask for it) is I like the one going down better. I felt the movement more than the one going up and was more intrigued by what might be found down there.
K9 said:
I was actually thinking that of course it depends on what is at the bottom, ie looking down Lombard Street in San Fran. But if it were teh same TYPE image, of fall leaves and winding roads...I think I agree with you K9. I think going down leads the mind onward more than up...

that is beautiful! I want to be there
K9 said:
that is beautiful! I want to be there
K9 you know where I am, the next time you can getaway from it all, come and stay with us. It is a real treasure to meet other innmates from the forum. I know there is a meeting today in the NE!
We are probably how far 6 hours from you? I am not sure. Please know you are invited any time!

Back