More is less?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
I have noticed this trend over and over. We get more click throughs on our advertising if we have less photos on the ad. I use craigslist to try specials and different stuff all the time. If I put up the four photos I get less click throughs to the site then if I put up one photo. I thought maybe I was not matching the photos to the theme or something but even if they are all romantic jacuzzi shots etc.
A) my photos are so bad it turns them off
B) they are curious with the lack of vision and click through
I am pretty sure it is B and even if they are then dissappoointed with us compared to the image they built up in their head, I can't help but think some will remember us and return. I am tempted to try this a bit with the directory sites. Maybe showing it all on the directory is costing us traffic.
Any opinions?

If you go this way, what will it accomplish? You may get more clicks thru to your website, but is there anything there that will make them reserve? Can you prove/disprove that the few guests who click thru when you have a lot of photos in your 'ad' reserve/do not reserve more/less than the guests who click thru with fewer photos in the ad?
You're saying more photos makes them not click thru. The same photos will be on the website. What else is there that will make the clicks turn into reservations?
Objectively- ARE your photos really bad? Your location really determines how good your photos need to be. If you have a beach house in a prime location, you could take photos at midnight with the lights off and guests would book. If you're not in a prime location your photos MUST be sharp and interesting.

I've seen this before with craigslist, in a different industry. The ads with the greatest click-throughs are the "crappy" ads with no pictures at all, which goes against the prevailing logic completely. No word, though, on whether those clicks actually lead to sold business. The take-away I got from this was to get prospects off craigslist and/or directory sites and into your website where they are comparing YOUR room against YOUR OTHER room, instead of YOUR INN against SOMEONE ELSE'S INN.

Yes to the split testing and I agree we do not have total data on who is booking. My web experience tells me that the more people click through the better. If they don't get to the site, I have no chance of a sale. So yes I run my ads with less photos now.
I am thinking of maybe doing a directory where we get little to no traffic now and see if we do better with some photo changes. Less and more targeted.
My big issue is we get reviews and feedback. People like us or at least they say they do. So we need to reflect that on the website. Very hard to do. But even to do that we need to get them to the site.

Yes to the split testing and I agree we do not have total data on who is booking. My web experience tells me that the more people click through the better. If they don't get to the site, I have no chance of a sale. So yes I run my ads with less photos now.
I am thinking of maybe doing a directory where we get little to no traffic now and see if we do better with some photo changes. Less and more targeted.
My big issue is we get reviews and feedback. People like us or at least they say they do. So we need to reflect that on the website. Very hard to do. But even to do that we need to get them to the site..
I agree partially. You need as many people to go to fill your schedule, especially as you get closer to being full and to fill in empty spots. But there is a difference in the clientele. Price is a factor as well. You have to see if people are coming in and buying from these craigslist ads. And you need to see if your target market is buying from there. Are you getting students and backpackers or are you getting couples? families? budget seekers? splurgers? It's just as important to see the stats of those who are coming and if they are buying. How long are they spending on the website? Are they bouncing?

I would agree, I am not a huge fan of google analytics as they make me nervous. So some of that info I do with out. We do ask how did you find us and we just implemented a better system of that.

I would agree, I am not a huge fan of google analytics as they make me nervous. So some of that info I do with out. We do ask how did you find us and we just implemented a better system of that..
Take a quick read thru this (ignoring all the grammar and spelling mistakes)
http://dailyseotip.com/are-you-sure-your-website-is-working-for-you/1541/

Back