More Marketing Reminders

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I've posted some of these articles before. They're aimed at marketing your community but much also applies to marketing accommodations...
Why 97% of Your Advertising is Ineffective - Part II
A continuation from last week, where I told you about Reasons #1 and #2:
  • Reason #1: Trying to be all things to all people
  • Reason #2: Marketing place before experience

Here are reasons #3 and #4, and what to do:
  • Reason #3: Using mundane text and photography
    There’s nothing more boring than elevator music (video or radio ads), or photos of scenic vistas without a soul in sight. To win you MUST evoke emotion. If your headline is boring or generic we won’t remember it. We are drowning in advertising overload so your ads MUST be memorable. Once again, I’ll show you some examples next week.

What to do: Make sure you have photos of people enjoying your activities – whether in a spa, or careening down a mountainside on a bike, or reading a book in front of a cozy fire with snow falling outside. Your art should get the reader to instantly think “I want to do that!” And make sure it fits ONLY you in your marketplace.
  • Reason #4: Not telling me WHY I should visit or buy from you
    Don’t tell me what you have, where you’re located, or who you are until you’ve told me WHY I should visit you. McDonald’s famous (and effective) campaign, “You deserve a break today” wasn’t about food. It was aimed at moms – they deserve a break today, so get up and get away – to McDonald’s. The most successful tourism campaign, perhaps in North American history, is Las Vegas’ “What happens here, stays here.” It’s not about what they have (entertainment, gambling) but WHY you would go there over other places.

What to do: I’ll cover this more in coming weeks, and this one requires digging deep. Alpena, Michigan is hitting a home run with its “Sanctuary” brand based on the National Marine Sanctuary of Thunder Bay and the 54% of Americans who are dealing with stress in their lives. I’ll showcase their ads in upcoming weeks. A water park that asks us “How loud can you scream?” will be more successful than the water park that tells us “The largest water park in Central Ohio.”
All the best in your marketing efforts!
Roger Brooks
Author | Speaker | Destination Expert www.RogerBrooksInternational.com

Yes, he's very good, and puts things in a simple, direct manner.
I do recall, though, that there's some debate over having people (models) in your photos, with one camp saying the way to go is to show someone enjoying your breakfast or whirlpool tub, and the other camp saying just show the beautiful food or tub so people can imagine themselves there.

Are you getting these on email alerts or how? I would like to know as I am passing this great information on!
From JB - I just battled it out to get a decent photo to be a highlight of a Park of The Month featured article. An uninviting photo was used, actually there were about 4 or 5 in the article, and most of them not worth sharing.
Here is an example from the before and after (the park manager/ranger went and got the images finally) Which would you use on a brochure? On a rack card? on a website?
BEFORE and AFTER
lrg_HL%20image.jpg
lrg_HL.jpg

This is a test - - note even this one is not worthy - can you see the HUGE difference in this one and the one I like? It is so subtle but speaks VOLUMES!
lrg_HL%20before.jpg

(not to mention a little editing, and brightening up of the photo, which hasn't been done on either)
lrg_HL%202.jpg

Are you getting these on email alerts or how? I would like to know as I am passing this great information on!
From JB - I just battled it out to get a decent photo to be a highlight of a Park of The Month featured article. An uninviting photo was used, actually there were about 4 or 5 in the article, and most of them not worth sharing.
Here is an example from the before and after (the park manager/ranger went and got the images finally) Which would you use on a brochure? On a rack card? on a website?
BEFORE and AFTER
lrg_HL%20image.jpg
lrg_HL.jpg

This is a test - - note even this one is not worthy - can you see the HUGE difference in this one and the one I like? It is so subtle but speaks VOLUMES!
lrg_HL%20before.jpg

(not to mention a little editing, and brightening up of the photo, which hasn't been done on either)
lrg_HL%202.jpg
Yep I am with you on this..JB..Shape up that park system :)

The articles are coming from our local tourism office. I don't know if they subscribe or he just sends them out hoping they'll sign up for one of his courses or webinars. He gave our tourism group one free webinar on branding and it was excellent. If we had any money we'd fly him in here for a day!
Yes, the photo of the fishing line mid-cast is much more engaging than the others, and fixing the colors really adds to the impact, making it better reflect the reality of what the eye really sees.

I do recall, though, that there's some debate over having people (models) in your photos, with one camp saying the way to go is to show someone enjoying your breakfast or whirlpool tub, and the other camp saying just show the beautiful food or tub so people can imagine themselves there..
Arkansawyer said:
I do recall, though, that there's some debate over having people (models) in your photos, with one camp saying the way to go is to show someone enjoying your breakfast or whirlpool tub, and the other camp saying just show the beautiful food or tub so people can imagine themselves there.
No debate from me.
a person IN a bed, I wouldn't use. A person cycling, sipping wine by a fire, YES!
I put these same 4 images in a square collage with comments to send to these bloggers/marketers. THANK YOU!
HL%20Marketing%20photos%20example1000.jpg

Oh, I do not have pictures with people on my website :(

The articles are coming from our local tourism office. I don't know if they subscribe or he just sends them out hoping they'll sign up for one of his courses or webinars. He gave our tourism group one free webinar on branding and it was excellent. If we had any money we'd fly him in here for a day!
Yes, the photo of the fishing line mid-cast is much more engaging than the others, and fixing the colors really adds to the impact, making it better reflect the reality of what the eye really sees..
I removed the red distraction, that looks like a rebel flag, probably isn't but it is just something (a logo) we don't want to advertise anyway.
I signed up for his emails. Branding is so important. Unfortunately with our state parks here we have a third party gvmt agency involved, so we can't just do anything we want to do, but we do have the ability to take good photos and share them!
I passed his info on, maybe they can hire him for a marketing retreat or something!

Back